Green Day - Dos aqua blue vinyl exclusive to Hot Topic

travis

To me it's kinda like the new Offspring album. Many different styles, some songs stay true to their original sound, some songs sound like the AI/21stCDB stuff, some songs have a new sound, some are experiments/weird songs. Likin' it so far, especially Makeout Party (Bass and guitar are pretty cool) and Ashley. I think Nightlife and Wild One are the worst songs (Billie's vocals on Nightlife are awful and Wild One is reeeeally boring).

I'm really stocked for the HT exclusives now.

To me it's kinda like the new Offspring album. Many different styles, some songs stay true to their original sound, some songs sound like the AI/21stCDB stuff, some songs have a new sound, some are experiments/weird songs. Likin' it so far, especially Makeout Party (Bass and guitar are pretty cool) and Ashley. I think Nightlife and Wild One are the worst songs (Billie's vocals on Nightlife are awful and Wild One is reeeeally boring).

I'm really stocked for the HT exclusives now.

I like "Wild One," but they should have upped the tempo a bit. It's just sooooo slooooow.

Anyone willing to come out and say how bad Dos is?

Here I go...

Dos is not very good. There are a few good songs but it's very meh, overall.

I don't think I can say its bad cause there are only really 2 songs I think sound bad and the rest sounds different but well done. The whole album sounds thrown together and I got the feeling this whole trilogy will amount to 3 mediocre to ok albums that make a good collection of songs and filler (not that different overall from 21CB in the way that was done but on a bigger scale). Dos does not really sound like a green day and songs like It's Fuck Time and Nightlife really just sound like crap but a lot of the songs at least sound fresh. Uno was chalk full of rehashed melodies and came off as ok because the songs sounded good but did not progress in any area. I can say at least Dos showed some traces of Green Day at times and when it did they sound like they were picking up where they left off from 21CB without the theatrics.

Uno was the cousin of Nimrod

Dos is more of a Foxboro Hot Tubs album with AI and 21CB influence.

I guess the band has reached the point where they just release everything they do for good or bad. At least all 3 albums don't sound the same because that would be the absolute worst way to go about this trilogy.

some of their best hard riffs since insomniac on Dos, if you ask me. the main riff in don't stop when the red lights flash is fucking sick. lazy bones is killer as well. two of their best songs in i don't know how long.

i hear the influence of their other side project "the network" in here on a few songs too, especially "Ashley", not sure if anyone's mentioned that. Dos is a departure from the norm for Green Day itself, but not for the catalog they've mounted with their side projects (which are the same dudes, with one or two other guys in the mix in some cases). and as a longtime fan of them all i love this release, other than "nightlife" which i really feel like is a jumping of the shark for them to a certain extent but hey The Offspring have been making money on songs like that for fucking ever and still put out really great records (i think), save for the token few annoying "nightlife"-esque gimmick tracks they push as singles on each one. Honestly if green day pushed "nightlife" as their next single they'd probably have a hit, sad as that is to say. but i don't see them doing that the way dex & co always do. Offspring sorta got that market cornered early, and we don't need anyone else trying to write the next "pretty fly for a white guy" or that ridiculous "cruising california".

some of their best hard riffs since insomniac on Dos, if you ask me. the main riff in don't stop when the red lights flash is fucking sick.

I think that When The Red Lights Flash fits in way better on UNO and they should move Troublemaker to DOS. Definitely the best song on DOS.