VC - Who are you voting for in the presidential election?

VC - Who are you voting for next month?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming presidential election?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)
    • Mitt Romney (Republican)
    • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    • Jill Stein (Green)
    • Virgil Goode (Constitution)
    • Write-In
    • Not Voting

I will preface by saying this was in wal mart in ohio.

I was reading an interview in a magazine the other day in wal mart when I heard one of the large white trash/wigger breed

from my lovely city say these words. "fuck mitt romney he wants ta take our right for free birth control ugh uh I aint votin for him"

People like this are voting. this scares me.

why? it sounds like she actually knows something about the candidates. at least she has a policy that she's standing up for and using as justification to vote for. its just mind boggling to me why you are scared of someone saying something like that.

I dont get the "Obama gay rights" as a reason to vote for him. He ran his first platform on this saying he would overturn Dont Ask Dont Tell as one of the first things, and then didnt get around to it until his third year, he said he doesnt believe gays should have the right to marry is his personal opinion. PLEASE, PLEASE look at what people have done and their track records opposed to taking what they say in a debate at face value.

I dont get the "Obama gay rights" as a reason to vote for him. He ran his first platform on this saying he would overturn Dont Ask Dont Tell as one of the first things, and then didnt get around to it until his third year, he said he doesnt believe gays should have the right to marry is his personal opinion. PLEASE, PLEASE look at what people have done and their track records opposed to taking what they say in a debate at face value.

Source? I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate.

I think in 2008 he was toeing the centrist line, typical politics. He has more recently stated he thinks gay marriage should be legal. It was big news for a few cycles, I want to say it was the summer. Prior to his election he also voiced support on the issue of gay marriage.

He might not be super progressive, but he has a decent good track record on this issue. Baby steps.

Yeah I know for a while he was quiet on the issue, even when he was running for president. But he did just announce he wanted them to have equal rights a few months ago, I'm sure of that. Not sure where selfreliable got that idea, but I'm curious to see if there may be an instance where he implied otherwise.

Well I have been following Obama for more than the past 6 months like you guys apparently, you might wanna know your facts besides just spouting the typical liberal rhetoric.

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” - April 17, 2008, while running for president, defining marriage at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.

“I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that’s not what America’s about.” - Nov. 2, 2008, while running for president, in an interview with MTV.

“I’ve called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act to help end discrimination against same-sex couples in this country. Now, I want to add we have a duty to uphold existing law, but I believe we must do so in a way that does not exacerbate old divides. And fulfilling this duty in upholding the la

w in no way lessens my commitment to reversing this law. I’ve made that clear.” - June 29, 2009, as president, at an LGBT Pride Month reception.

“I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage. But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine.” - Oct. 27, 2010, as president, in an interview with a group of liberal bloggers.

It also goes back to him running for local offices in Chicago too, talks about it in his book, and it is obvious he is saying rhetoric to get votes from the gay community and supporters while not actually believing in what he is saying.

Fucking liberals are just as bad as the conservatives, just swallow whatever they are told without actually doing research or thinking. This country is fucked either way.

so, what you're sourcing here, is that Obama is saying "in my personal opinion, i don't exactly agree with gay marriage. but i don't believe that my views should dictate those of the country"

yeah, that's not AT ALL what i want from my leader...

so, what you're sourcing here, is that Obama is saying "in my personal opinion, i don't exactly agree with gay marriage. but i don't believe that my views should dictate those of the country"

yeah, that's not AT ALL what i want from my leader...

I like you.

also, I think its very important for people to understand that the next president may very well be selecting one or two new supreme court justices in their term... so when it comes to Gay Rights, the Courts will be hearing a case in the next year or two on just that, and deciding whether or not they are a defined class of people, and if they should be protected under Title VII (US Court of Appeal in NY ruled that being Gay is a defined class that cannot be discriminated against). There are two cases now that sit on the docket for the Justices to select, one from Mass. and one from this week in NY.

Well I have been following Obama for more than the past 6 months like you guys apparently, you might wanna know your facts besides just spouting the typical liberal rhetoric.

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” - April 17, 2008, while running for president, defining marriage at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.

“I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that’s not what America’s about.” - Nov. 2, 2008, while running for president, in an interview with MTV.

“I’ve called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act to help end discrimination against same-sex couples in this country. Now, I want to add we have a duty to uphold existing law, but I believe we must do so in a way that does not exacerbate old divides. And fulfilling this duty in upholding the la

w in no way lessens my commitment to reversing this law. I’ve made that clear.” - June 29, 2009, as president, at an LGBT Pride Month reception.

“I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage. But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine.” - Oct. 27, 2010, as president, in an interview with a group of liberal bloggers.

It also goes back to him running for local offices in Chicago too, talks about it in his book, and it is obvious he is saying rhetoric to get votes from the gay community and supporters while not actually believing in what he is saying.

Fucking liberals are just as bad as the conservatives, just swallow whatever they are told without actually doing research or thinking. This country is fucked either way.

No need to get butthurt. I asked you for examples and you provided them. Also, those quotes show what his personal views might be (in the past) - not how he governs. He's talking about doing what is right for the gay community, rather than restricting their rights "just because I don't like it." Which is exactly what a President should do. Even if Obama was an outright homophobe, he realizes its not his place, or anyone elses, to restrict rights from citizens. You also proved he is willing to evolve and adapt to meet the needs of the American people - another plus.

I don't understand your point, other than being disenfranchised with the political process.

Pump the brakes Mr. High Horse.

"I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages." - Obama 1996

The source is Outlines, a Chicago LGBT newspaper. So technically he was for it before he was against it, and now he is for it again. I think its pretty clear Obama is a typical politician whose opinions "evolve" based on public opinion and exposure on the national level. I don't know him, so I can't say what his actual position is, either can you.

I don't think it is fair to characterize him as someone who is "anti-gay", just as I don't think it is fair to say anything "pro-gay + Obama" is empty liberal rhetoric.

Look at those quotes, how he has flipped back and forth on it, how he has done no legislature to repeal anything besides DADT three years after he said he would do it first thing and you see that he is just pandering to the crowd he speaks to. Yes he told a LGBT newspaper in 96 he was pro same sex marriage and then two years later said he was against it. The man is as bad as Kerry was in 04 at flip flopping his agenda to meet who he was talking to. In the end you get someone who will say anything to get in power, then get the power and literally do nothing with that power. Yeah thats who I want running the country, someone who cant make a choice. At least Romney has some fucking backbone and stands behind what he believes in even if someone else thinks it is wrong. Obama cant even have a belief for more than 6 months without changing it.

Look at those quotes, how he has flipped back and forth on it, how he has done no legislature to repeal anything besides DADT three years after he said he would do it first thing and you see that he is just pandering to the crowd he speaks to. Yes he told a LGBT newspaper in 96 he was pro same sex marriage and then two years later said he was against it. The man is as bad as Kerry was in 04 at flip flopping his agenda to meet who he was talking to. In the end you get someone who will say anything to get in power, then get the power and literally do nothing with that power. Yeah thats who I want running the country, someone who cant make a choice. At least Romney has some fucking backbone and stands behind what he believes in even if someone else thinks it is wrong. Obama cant even have a belief for more than 6 months without changing it.

Oh jesus the irony. Are you trolling?

EDIT:

I'll just leave you with 20 whole minutes of Romney flip flops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wTjBSpf8tM

At least Romney has some fucking backbone and stands behind what he believes in even if someone else thinks it is wrong.

This part is a joke right? Because if we are doing the whole flip-flopping source thing this ain't gonna end well for Mittens.

Now you've got me confused? Are you saying Romney would be better for the LGBT community? Or is that another point entirely?

For the record, I don't care if you don't like Obama, but I took issue with the implication that I'm not informed.

This part is a joke right? Because if we are doing the whole flip-flopping source thing this ain't gonna end well for Mittens.

Now you've got me confused? Are you saying Romney would be better for the LGBT community? Or is that another point entirely?

For the record, I don't care if you don't like Obama, but I took issue with the implication that I'm not informed.

Oh jesus the irony. Are you trolling?

Has to be a troll, I could find about 30 videos that show mittens saying one thing and a week later the opposite. If you wanna talk about someone saying anything to get power better take a closer look at romney before throwing stones.

I never said Romney would be better for the LGBT at all, I just said he has a backbone and doesnt pander as shamefully as Obama does. We can get someone like Obama who will do jack shit for the country like he did the first four years (after he promised the first time that he wouldnt run again if he didnt turn things around) or you can go and vote for a third party person who would actually bring along hope and change.

Yes Romney flip flops, I never said he didnt, I said he has a backbone and will stand behind his belief. Romney went through a drastic overhall in the late 90s early 00's of his beliefs. Obama just makes promises that he has no intention of keeping.

I never said Romney would be better for the LGBT at all, I just said he has a backbone and doesnt pander as shamefully as Obama does. We can get someone like Obama who will do jack shit for the country like he did the first four years (after he promised the first time that he wouldnt run again if he didnt turn things around) or you can go and vote for a third party person who would actually bring along hope and change.

Yes Romney flip flops, I never said he didnt, I said he has a backbone and will stand behind his belief. Romney went through a drastic overhall in the late 90s early 00's of his beliefs. Obama just makes promises that he has no intention of keeping.

If by stand by what he believes you mean change those beliefs drastically week to week. That overhaul you're talking about happens nearly weekly. Case in point his views on the Blunt Bill and what it says about birth control and women. http://www.ohio.com/...ything-1.343071 He has zero backbone and panders as much if not more than any politician. Also his health care flip flopping is particularly egregious. He goes from instituting universal healthcare in MA to now he's against it because the majority of republicans are now. Theres no back bone in that at all.

Romney flip flopped on health care four times in 24 hours last week. How is that showing some backbone? How is saying "I love it here, the trees are the right height" not the same type of shameless pandering you are criticizing Obama for?

Can you explain to me exactly what Romney believes in?

Romney flip flopped on health care four times in 24 hours last week. How is that showing some backbone? How is saying "I love it here, the trees are the right height" not the same type of shameless pandering you are criticizing Obama for?

Can you explain to me exactly what Romney believes in?

http://www.romneytaxplan.com/