VC - Who are you voting for in the presidential election?

VC - Who are you voting for next month?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming presidential election?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)
    • Mitt Romney (Republican)
    • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    • Jill Stein (Green)
    • Virgil Goode (Constitution)
    • Write-In
    • Not Voting

Was it from you where I heard about the couple (cant remember if they were men or women) who were married in one state, but then they moved and another state (NM or AZ I think) wouldnt let them get divorced because the state didnt recognize their marriage so they couldnt allow for the divorce? I just dont understand some of the "logic" behind some gay rights. My state currently has it on the ballot to determine "marriage equality" and it has to be worded that way so all the republicans are bashing the dems for "supporting marriage equality". It is great to see them try to explain how this country was founded on equality but now dont support it. Fucking hilarious.

Was it from you where I heard about the couple (cant remember if they were men or women) who were married in one state, but then they moved and another state (NM or AZ I think) wouldnt let them get divorced because the state didnt recognize their marriage so they couldnt allow for the divorce? I just dont understand some of the "logic" behind some gay rights. My state currently has it on the ballot to determine "marriage equality" and it has to be worded that way so all the republicans are bashing the dems for "supporting marriage equality". It is great to see them try to explain how this country was founded on equality but now dont support it. Fucking hilarious.

that's actually kinda like my own situation. got married in california, but it wasn't recognized in north carolina. so we couldn't get a divorce here. but yay, california's residency requirement for divorce changed, don't have to live there anymore to be able to get one. which reminds me, the ex needs my financial info UGHHH i seriously want this shit to be over over.

and i forgot maine's voting on that. if maine's like every other state so far, the people will say, "ew no, my marriage is special and is somehow lessened in value when gay people are happy and get married too"

Funny because I dont have cable, never been to the fox website for news, and dont even support Romney or any republican. Liberals and the right are just as bad as the other side.

I was just messing around. No offense intended. I agree though. Both sides remind me of two little kids on the playground fighting over a swing. I can't stand either side.

as a statistician, I have two general thoughts about this. first off, if there are people with a BS in math getting paid only $35k/year, I truly feel sorry for them. who made the decision to group those careers together? and secondly, while I like the transparency of their regression methods, I feel like this is a much more complex issue, and I don't think the claim "that bias and discrimination are still problems in the workplace" is a valid (i.e., unbiased) conclusion of this analysis. for instance, they account for geographic regions, but they don't appear to account for urban vs. rural or, better yet, a "cost of living" covariate.

and since this is an observational study instead of an experimental study (though it could be interesting to randomly assign genders to people...), perhaps there are gender-specific differences in the applicants themselves, rather than discrimination on the part of employers.

• are men applying for higher stress jobs that also happen to be higher paid? this seems plausible, as men are (stereotypically) supposed to be the "breadwinners", so maybe men feel more pressure to get higher paid jobs to provide for their family while women are able to get jobs which feel more comfortable? I'm graduating this summer, and I'm more concerned about how jobs "fit" my interests than about how the jobs pay, so maybe this makes me (even more) unmanly...
  • or maybe since males are generally older than their partners, they graduate first and hence feel the need to provide for two people on their single income, whereas women in relationships graduate and view their income as a "bonus" compared to the single income that the couple had been living on. (back to their model: they have an indicator for "married/cohabitating", but they don't include an interaction term between "gender" and "married". I think this would be interesting.)
  • in the same vein as the previous point, women in relationships may be less flexible when looking for careers, as their partners may already have a job. these women would likely have to narrow their job search to the area where their partner currently lives, which could lower their potential income (in the sense that they can't be as selective about the salary of the job they're looking for).

and just so we're clear: whatever an applicant marks in the "gender" box on an application shouldn't affect their pay. I'm also not saying that men should be the breadwinner of a family or that women should view their career as secondary to their partners, I'm just saying that societal pressures could make people feel that way (similar to the way that doctors are often portrayed by men and nurses are often portrayed by women). ultimately, I just think the suggestion that there's a nationwide conspiracy to pay women less than men as the logical explanation to the difference in pay is a bit of a stretch.

in the "gender" box on an application shouldn't affect their pay. I'm also not saying that men should be the breadwinner of a family or that women should view their career as secondary to their partners, I'm just saying that societal pressures could make people feel that way (similar to the way that doctors are often portrayed by men and nurses are often portrayed by women). ultimately, I just think the suggestion that there's a nationwide conspiracy to pay women less than men as the logical explanation to the difference in pay is a bit of a stretch.

this is a very good point. i know, in my life, there have been more than a few times where i was not getting paid more than women doing equal work.

I wandered into a political debate on my cousin's Facebook status about gay marriage and now his stupid friends are messaging me. Now I'm in a big debate with some 18 year old douchebag who has probably never been in love with anyone and believes the majority should rule and that the purpose of marriage is procreation and I want to shoot myself in the face with a gunnnnnnn

Dude don't even. I've come at it from every angle. It makes me so angry that a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in MN is neck and neck when so many of those in favor of it are like this guy:

"In this case with marriage, people are informed about the actual issue by both sides of the issue and propaganda is not being used. people are informed. If they choose to support traditional marriage it is because they are making an informed decision for the country that coincides with their conscience. oppression is not relevant.

the fact of the matter is, is that gay people only account for 1 % of the population in minnesota. why should the vast minority dictate for the majority what definitions should be changed and what should be legal."

Bummer times.

My local paper ran an article about how the vote for gay marriage in Maine seems to be looking like it will be passed and that more people are open to it than people were 4 years ago. Really hoping I wake up on Wednesday and can celebrate with my friends about it passing.

My local paper ran an article about how the vote for gay marriage in Maine seems to be looking like it will be passed and that more people are open to it than people were 4 years ago. Really hoping I wake up on Wednesday and can celebrate with my friends about it passing.

that would be awesome!

Im trying to keep myself level headed about it not passing and not get too discouraged by it, but I cant help but think it will be a crushing feeling to see it not get passed, and this is from a straight male, I cant imagine how it will feel to those who it will actually effect their ability to marry their loved one.