HUM - You'd Prefer An Astronaut LP from SRC All Pressings Discussion

jhulud

I never see how the original press price plays into the repress price. Who cares if it is more expensive on ebay? That doesn't mean you can overcharge for a new pressing.

My thoughts exactly. You are buying a newly manufactured record, sleeve, and jacket, all of which have a fixed cost that is not affected in any way by what the out-of-print record costs on the second-hand market.

Not sure how it is outside of NY, but here I've seen independent stores charging anywhere from 18 to 20-something for new vinyl releases. It's not just internet prices. A lot of stores/distros have to charge that "much" just to break even. Remember when CDs were 18.99? 

My thoughts exactly. You are buying a newly manufactured record, sleeve, and jacket, all of which have a fixed cost that is not affected in any way by what the out-of-print record costs on the second-hand market.

To each their own. I paid $24 for a record I really want to spin instead of not owning it because I can't afford it. Success to me.

To each their own. I paid $24 for a record I really want to spin instead of not owning it because I can't afford it. Success to me.

That still has nothing to do with the price. Good for you for buying a record you enjoy. They are counting on people like you to pay those prices. I'm not even really complaining about the price, more so the fact that people try to justify it vs. ebay prices.

I never see how the original press price plays into the repress price. Who cares if it is more expensive on ebay? That doesn't mean you can overcharge for a new pressing.

I'm kinda shocked that people think that $19.99(Subscription price)  -$21.99 is over charging.

If they were asking $29.99 for this, then yes, I'd agree that they are over charging. But you really have to consider that this is an extemely limited pressing (500 green + 500 black).

So 1000 records at $21.99 = $21990

Now, subtract the cost of:

the plastics for the vinyl

the cost of pressing

set up charge

the lables on the vinyl

shrinkwrap

sleeves

labor cost in organizing the pressing

shipping costs

the bands cut

the labels cut?

paypal/credit card fee's (3%)

ect, ect, ect

In the end.....how much profit are they really making off this run of 1000?

Do you expect SRC to break even on this?

I guess I just dont think that the price is unreasonable. And in the end, you'll have a record that hold its value since its a very limited release. If you ever want to sell it down the road, you should be able to easily get your money back and possibly make a couple bucks too.

Would you rather have one copy of an unlimited run at $14.99 or have one copy out of of 500 for $21.99? I'll take the limited edition for an extra $7

But then again....I went a little overboard with this hum release. I initially bought the full subscription just for the hum record. Then I bought the black and the green. And now I'm broke.

I was mostly commenting on that logic in general and not this specific case. I hear it in a lot of different circumstances and I just don't understand why it matters how much the original is going for on ebay.

So whats the solution to lowering the price of records?

Technically, there is none. Boycotting is a cute idea, but the reality of the matter is we'll have to wait for the "vinyl bubble" to pop before we see lower prices. But they've been saying that for years now, and with the advent eBay, I don't think things will ever be the same. I like to relate it to minimum wage, it's always going to go up to calibrate with cost of living expenses. Sorry for the rant.

Technically, there is none. Boycotting is a cute idea, but the reality of the matter is we'll have to wait for the "vinyl bubble" to pop before we see lower prices. But they've been saying that for years now, and with the advent eBay, I don't think things will ever be the same. I like to relate it to minimum wage, it's always going to go up to calibrate with cost of living expenses. Sorry for the rant.

Not a rant at all. An extreme sales drop would/should drop prices in theory, but also cause a lot of labels to pull out of the business if they weren't taking much in. 

I'm kinda shocked that people think that $19.99(Subscription price)  -$21.99 is over charging.

If they were asking $29.99 for this, then yes, I'd agree that they are over charging. But you really have to consider that this is an extemely limited pressing (500 green + 500 black).

So 1000 records at $21.99 = $21990

Now, subtract the cost of:

the plastics for the vinyl

the cost of pressing

set up charge

the lables on the vinyl

shrinkwrap

sleeves

labor cost in organizing the pressing

shipping costs

the bands cut

the labels cut?

paypal/credit card fee's (3%)

ect, ect, ect

In the end.....how much profit are they really making off this run of 1000?

Do you expect SRC to break even on this?

I guess I just dont think that the price is unreasonable. And in the end, you'll have a record that hold its value since its a very limited release. If you ever want to sell it down the road, you should be able to easily get your money back and possibly make a couple bucks too.

Would you rather have one copy of an unlimited run at $14.99 or have one copy out of of 500 for $21.99? I'll take the limited edition for an extra $7

But then again....I went a little overboard with this hum release. I initially bought the full subscription just for the hum record. Then I bought the black and the green. And now I'm broke.

lol at you for including "shipping costs" in your list of things that the regular price covers. Isn't that what shipping charges are for? This was not $21.99ppd. I'm also not pretending that this is the most ridiculously priced LP ever. Just sayin'.

Not a rant at all. An extreme sales drop would/should drop prices in theory, but also cause a lot of labels to pull out of the business if they weren't taking much in. 

Exactly. I know it's a scary thought, but the scenario you proposed might be needed to trim the fat a little. It'll definitely be interesting to see.

There seems to be some misguided notions on the costs of pressing records in this thread.

Let's round UP a bunch of numbers:

Mastering/Lacquers from Lucky: $400

Pressing of 1250 records via Rainbo (across 3 colors): $2627 (this number also assumes 180g for all three colorways, FYI)

2000 gatefold jackets with spot gloss: $3500

Shipping from the plant: probably about $600-700

Poly sleeves: $262 (2000 3 mil) and $135 for 500 4 mil sleeves

Grand total: $7624 or $6.10 per record

Now, let's assume that the label charged them $5000 (which is totally insane) for licensing rights.

$12,624 or $10.10 per record

This includes both colors and the sub color also. They will make $27,487 for just this release - a profit of no less than $10K.

You guys are being raped by this project, and the fact that you're 100% cool with it is very alarming.

There seems to be some misguided notions on the costs of pressing records in this thread.

Let's round UP a bunch of numbers:

Mastering/Lacquers from Lucky: $400

Pressing of 1250 records via Rainbo (across 3 colors): $2627 (this number also assumes 180g for all three colorways, FYI)

2000 gatefold jackets with spot gloss: $3500

Shipping from the plant: probably about $600-700

Poly sleeves: $262 (2000 3 mil) and $135 for 500 4 mil sleeves

Grand total: $7624 or $6.10 per record

Now, let's assume that the label charged them $5000 (which is totally insane) for licensing rights.

$12,624 or $10.10 per record

This includes both colors and the sub color also. They will make $27,487 for just this release - a profit of no less than $10K.

You guys are being raped by this project, and the fact that you're 100% cool with it is very alarming.

Can you guys give it a fucking rest already? Either buy it or don't and go on with your day.

Quick, everyone. Cancel your orders. You are being raped! Paying a huge markup on an item you want (for, I'm sure, the first time in your life), is the same thing as being sexually assaulted. I already cancelled mine. Of course I'm not being dramatic.

I, for one, am aghast at these shocking revelations. How can the rest of you be so blasé about it?

so, i am to understand that i'm being "raped" everytime I buy a record that isn't sold at a minimal mark up?

i guess the only safe, non rapey place to buy records is No Idea.  from now on if I spend more than 10 bucks on a record i'll be sure to wear my rape whistle.  

record buying is hard on the olde pooper.