HUM - You'd Prefer An Astronaut LP from SRC All Pressings Discussion

jhulud

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

SRC are putting out two new presses of this; white/green and white/black limited to 1000 each. $21.99 at SRC. $24.88 at CCMusic who have a 25% off sale at the moment (I don't know if the discount applies to pre-orders). Due out in February.

At work so can't post links. Will try and edit them in later.

SRC are putting out two new presses of this; white/green and white/black limited to 1000 each. $21.99 at SRC. $24.88 at CCMusic who have a 25% off sale at the moment (I don't know if the discount applies to pre-orders). Due out in February.

At work so can't post links. Will try and edit them in later.

Bullmoose has these up for PO, as well

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/20993117/hum-youd-prefer-an-astronaut-white-green-split-vinyl

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/20993118/hum-youd-prefer-an-astronaut-black-white-split-vinyl

Honestly, do not bother with this pressing from SRC. I A/B'd it with my CD. CD sounded better. Pretty sure that's where they sourced it from, actually. Maybe Earth Analog will put out a proper reissue at some point, but until then play the smart card and save your pennies for something better.

You must have a great CD or a bad vinyl. My vinyl sounds loads better than the CD.

SRC supposedly had it remastered for vinyl when they first repressed it.

Remastered from what though? Sourcing is important, I mean ETR had Cartel remastered from a used cd. I realize it probably matters less with modern music but cutting something from a high rez digital file from the master/from master tapes (not sure the source but given the era it was probably a digital master) vs a lower quality digital or copied source is going to have degradation of  sound. This is the reason uk pressings of beatles/sabbath beat out the US pressings any day. They copied the master and sent it overseas to cut the US counterparts. Which is why I don't get in bed with most of these reissue labels, if it's not going to beat out a cd why bother? I buy in to plenty of these releases where the vinyl doesn't sound much different from the cd but it's usually an official pressing released when the album comes out rather than a cash grab reissue on src/plain/4 men with beards (I like MOV cause they use masters or high rez transfers from masters when they are unable to get the tapes)