Frankenstorm™

i have been dismissing the all hurricane talk, but holy hell, shit might just get real. We luckily only lost power for 2 days during the last big storm. however, i fear things are going to be much worse this time round. It's guaranteed to be a shit show around town tomorrow. Girlfriend is talking about trying to find a generator. brutal. damn you al gore and your global warming.

at201218_5day.gif

Some people I know are freaking out, others I know are nonchalant. I'm somehow not in a flood zone even though I'm less than a mile from water, but certain parts of the tri-state area are going to experience some record breaking flooding. Theres going to be some crazy storm surge mixed with a weather system that brings the worst elements of a nor'easter. I'm not looking forward to this.

i have a generator ready to roll from the snow pounding 2 years ago. i only lost power for 3 days but some peeps in the rest of my town were without power for nearly a week. my town/town of employment were both completely unprepared. i'm in the screwed on Tuesday circle of doom.

No generator, but have a camp stove, big cooler, deep cycle marine battery with an inverter and plenty of batteries/lights. Power is pretty much guaranteed to go out. Someone farts outside and both Pepco and BG&E go down hard. Hopefully, the storm will shoot north, which will put us in the lee of the eye. That said, it’s going to be all types of bad no matter where it makes landfall.

I will be taking a train from North Carolina to Union Station on monday. My train arrives at 4:50 so hopefully it will not be that bad yet and i REALLY hope the metro will still be running!

The metro should probably be running- it won’t be too bad by then. However, I head Amtrak is cancelling some trains ahead of the storm. Keep an eye out.

i agree, and i don't think this storm is supposed to get any worse than a CAT1

Yeah, it's not that powerful of a storm. If there wasn't this high pressure system and dipping jet stream it would probably hit the Outerbanks and head towards the Canadian Maritimes. However, it’s going to creep towards NJ and dump rain and wind – similar to what Dennis/Floyd did in NC a bunch of years ago. That was messy.

On a related note, I lived in NC for a bit (went to State) and the year I moved to Raleigh it snowed 14”. I was ready to go about my business. However, everyone else acted like it was the rapture. Most of the state shut down for a week. Many also realized that their silly pickemup’ trucks and snow do not mix so well.

As a North Carolinian, I'm used to this kind of stuff, so its fun to sit back and watch the rest of the country's reaction

To be fair hurricanes and nor'easters don't hit D.C. to NY quite often if ever simultaneously. Plus states like NC and Virgina don't quite have the same infastructure to worry about like NYC for example.

The northeast reaction to eathquake a few years ago was laughable. So yeah, people can get ridiculous.

we're supposed to get fucked up in new england. they're predicting that it's just gonna hover on top of us for about 3 days.

everyone's freaking out here because of what happened last halloween... when we got royally buttfucked by a snow storm that left most of western mass and ct without power for days, some places over a week.

shit was real bad then, so people are taking every last precaution now to prepare for something as bad happening again.

Its kind of fun to read about this here... I work for Trader Joes Grocery Store Store Support and those stores on the east coast are going apeshit right now with people getting ready for disaster. Our phones are ringing off the hook here with registers down and what not.

I am basically right under where the eye of the storm will be (if lands as predicted) in Jersey.. about 45 minutes east of Atlantic City. I was pretty excited, but now with it being as close as it is.. am starting to get a bit worried. My electric company actually called and said to not expect electricity for 3-4 days (at least).

My boss called me earlier today and told me he won't be making it in to the office tomorrow, but to call him when I get there to go over things.. he is out of his mind. Especially since I really could work from home with my job.

Hope everybody stays safe!

It started drizzling here in DC. Friends in south jersey say it's already started to get a bit nasty there with the worst to come tomorrow. Those in brigantine and other barrier islands were evacuated. My work and curling game are cancelled tomorrow. I have the new William Gibson book from the library, absentee ballot to fill out, an unemployed girlfriend and nothing but time for a few days. We will see how this goes. Hopefully, better than every other storm that has rolled through the area.