$1000 to spend

Now that i got my speakers, i realize how shitty my technics receiver and music hall USB TT are. if i want to replace both, where should I invest my money? i like having a receiver to plug my ipod into, but could i do just TT into preamp into speakers and still be able to do that? what would you guys get?

edit: obviously a lazy post, but i figured some of you would like to talk about this stuff ;)

Honestly, I would rather see you spend your money on good, moderately-priced gear than save $1000 to spend on each component. For someone like ajxd or me, that makes sense because we have a much better idea of what we're doing and we have experience with a variety of equipment. You sound like you're pretty new at this, so I would follow ajxd's second suggestion and go for something more budget-minded such as the Debut Carbon / Cambridge 351A combo. That's good, solid stuff and it will allow you to get a taste of what your records are cable of. Use that setup for a year or two and if you get the itch for something better, than start thinking about spending serious cash.

Also, a good DAC would make you digital source sound so much better. Check out the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 digital-to-analog converter. Only $350, and not only do you get a nice DAC, but it's also a headphone amp, tube processor for analog signal, digital decoder for optical and coaxial signal and pre-amplifier with volume control.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html

The Outlaw 2150 amp gets excellent reviews. It's next on my list. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html This is probably something you don't want to rush into but if you act before end of day tomrrow, you can get b stock (perfect working order with some minor imperfection) for $599 delievered. I got b stock speakers from them and I honestly can't find anything wrong with them at all.

They will have other sales.

Just wanted to chime in here.

You already have a great pair of speakers to build on so you kind of have two paths. If you want new, get a Pro-ject Carbon and a ~$500 integrated amplifier w/ built-in phono pre and enjoy some good music. This setup would be more than enough for 99% of people wanting to get a good sound from their LPs. The second path takes you down the second hand road. you can find some great deals on killer stuff, but you need to know, not just what you are looking at, but what you want. This means doing research and testing and knowing brands and "sounds". It could take a lot of time and there is risk involved.

Considering you are asking for hardware advise on a good "starter" system on VC. I'd say go the first route. You won't be disappointed, and after some time, if you are left wanting and decide to pursue audiophilia, then you can always upgrade later.

Hmmm. I just reread your OP. what is your Music Hall? an MMF2.2 USB? Not sure the Carbon is going to be that much of an upgrade if it is. Ah, I think I found it. the MH USB 1? the 1200 clone? OK well, the carbon would be anupgrade, but I'm still temped to recommend a bigger jump in TT. What is you technics receiver model?

Looks like you have a large record collection. Put all your money toward a nice turntable and cart. Nothing bums me out more than seeing pics on this site of people's large collections next to their cheap ass turntable and speakers.

If you really feel like you need a new receiver, find a solid vintage 2 channel integrated on Craigslist or eBay for $200 or less. Usually you can sell stuff like that for the same price you buy it for when you are ready to step up again.

so thanks for the advice, i do have about 800 records, all well taken care of, some valuable, others not, i enjoy the collectability aspect but also love to listen to my collection. i guess my main question is whether to upgrade the TT only. my receiver costs between $50-70 on ebay...will it be the limiting factor? is there a TT between $600-800 thats worth the extra $? it seems that really between 400 and 1200 there isnt much in the middle. if thats the case, then what would you buy in that range?