Terrible Traders/Buyers/Sellers

benchwarmer

Post here to give a heads up on on shitty people on the internet.

Use this as a template/example (use specifics!):

Hey Everyone.

Do not buy from Mike Simonetti ebay id: allovermyface

I won Strike Anywhere's Exit English from him on Jan 20th. I paid on Jan 21st. I still have not received this item. I sent him a message on Feb 13th asking if he had shipped it yet and all he said was "if you paid it's shipped". When I asked if he had a tracking number he never responded. He has a 98.4% rating but if you read through his negative feedback this seems to be something that happens often on his auctions that end at a low price. BEWARE!

Good thread.

I'd like to make some suggestions: If you post, though, please explain what makes this person bad. Give us an anecdote. Don't just come on here and say "so-and-so on ebay is a dick." Tell us why he's a dick. Also, don't complain about someone you haven't done business with. There are other threads for calling out people who sell records at insane prices or who flip things, etc...let's try and keep this only to people who we've had or attempted to have actual transactions with.

threads like these are dumb because anyone who has sold more than a small handful of records has has at least one bad transaction.

ive seen names of people who are on lots of peoples good traders list, on at least one or two bad trader lists.

what ends up happening is someone who has had hundreds of good transactions, ends up having one bad one where a record got lost or whatever, and some kid comes on here and smears his name, and an otherwise good seller gets blacklisted.

take the first post here for example. that dude runs a record label, and has somewhat of a distro, and all that stuff. dude sells thousands of records. no doubt a lot of them are great transactions or the dude wouldnt still be in business. im not saying he isnt a ripoff and doesnt deserve to be on this list. just saying these threads irk me, cause you can have virtually unlimited positive sales/trades, and still end up on this list for something dumb, and suddenly tons of kids who have nothing to do with it hop on to say "yeah fuck that dude. im never dealing with that guy. he sucks" and starts spreading that throughout the net.

Guest scriptedrain
threads like these are dumb because anyone who has sold more than a small handful of records has has at least one bad transaction.

ive seen names of people who are on lots of peoples good traders list, on at least one or two bad trader lists.

what ends up happening is someone who has had hundreds of good transactions, ends up having one bad one where a record got lost or whatever, and some kid comes on here and smears his name, and an otherwise good seller gets blacklisted.

take the first post here for example. that dude runs a record label, and has somewhat of a distro, and all that stuff. dude sells thousands of records. no doubt a lot of them are great transactions or the dude wouldnt still be in business. im not saying he isnt a ripoff and doesnt deserve to be on this list. just saying these threads irk me, cause you can have virtually unlimited positive sales/trades, and still end up on this list for something dumb, and suddenly tons of kids who have nothing to do with it hop on to say "yeah fuck that dude. im never dealing with that guy. he sucks" and starts spreading that throughout the net.

You reap what you sow. If you can't handle doing business, then why are you in it? This isn't a case of "oops, I'm sorry," it's something that's being done multiple times.

Regardless, it's nice to be armed with that info while deciding whether or not to buy from someone.

Also, this isn't for petty things like someone taking a little longer than usual to ship a trade, this is for situations when you feel you are really getting ripped off, or the record arrives with an address label and postage stuck directly to the jacket (who has that get up kids photo?). Also, I would guess we'd use screen/user names and not call them out by real names, that would be pretty shitty.

Plus, if you run a label or distro, I would assume that if something goes missing in the mail you respond to a person's messages. If a month goes by with no communication, despite an obvious problem, that's shitty service and people should be aware of that.

EDIT: Also, to your point that a person could have millions of good transactions and a couple of bad ones, odds are that people on this board have been part of those good transactions too and can weigh in that they've never had a problem with so-and-so. That way, people can make their own choice and say, "well, one person had a problem, five people didn't, I feel confident buying from this person." It's like eBay's feedback.

Regardless, it's nice to be armed with that info while deciding whether or not to buy from someone.

Also, this isn't for petty things like someone taking a little longer than usual to ship a trade, this is for situations when you feel you are really getting ripped off, or the record arrives with an address label and postage stuck directly to the jacket (who has that get up kids photo?). Also, I would guess we'd use screen/user names and not call them out by real names, that would be pretty shitty.

Plus, if you run a label or distro, I would assume that if something goes missing in the mail you respond to a person's messages. If a month goes by with no communication, despite an obvious problem, that's shitty service and people should be aware of that.

agreed. and it definitely CAN be a good thing. and i think if you really DO have good sale/trade practices it will show, and outweigh a stupid kid on a messageboard.

unfortunately these threads USUALLY (hopefully not in this case), end up with just random shit talking with no explanations, or people throwing petty things in there (dude didnt ship the record for 6 DAYS!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!)

agreed. and it definitely CAN be a good thing. and i think if you really DO have good sale/trade practices it will show, and outweigh a stupid kid on a messageboard.

unfortunately these threads USUALLY (hopefully not in this case), end up with just random shit talking with no explanations, or people throwing petty things in there (dude didnt ship the record for 6 DAYS!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!)

I tacked this on to my last post:

EDIT: Also, to your point that a person could have millions of good transactions and a couple of bad ones, odds are that people on this board have been part of those good transactions too and can weigh in that they've never had a problem with so-and-so. That way, people can make their own choice and say, "well, one person had a problem, five people didn't, I feel confident buying from this person." It's like eBay's feedback.

Guest genericinsight

I've been lucky in the sense that everyone I've dealt with trading and buying over here is very patient. I'm sometimes in the position where I can't always get to the post office because I don't drive/don't own a car, and sometimes the public transportation in this section of Brooklyn is RIDICULOUSLY unreliable. So because of work and such this poses a problem. For a while I traded at another board where I would literally get emails multiple times a day from kids asking "WHERE'S MY RECORD". So I'm glad (knock on wood) that I would think people here would consider me a good seller/trader even if I am a little slow sometimes.

I agree in the sense I think this thread could/should be used for people who have had multiple bad transactions with someone and not for the sole purpose of if you had one bad transaction with someone. People make mistakes or stuff gets lost in the mail and thus it's beyond their control.

I was with you until you used Simonetti as an example, just because I've had mixed experiences with him (some perfect, one terrible) and think his rep might be from more than just internet gang banging.

People can/should take the comments of others for what they are... if you don't have a good feeling about someone, demand Delivery Confirmation. And everyone should realize that a percentage (though small) of mail does get lost/delayed (I once had a property tax check disappear in a mail bin at the local PO for 6 months [mailed WITHIN the same zip code]).

I'm sometimes in the position where I can't always get to the post office because I don't drive/don't own a car, and sometimes the public transportation in this section of Brooklyn is RIDICULOUSLY unreliable. So because of work and such this poses a problem. For a while I traded at another board where I would literally get emails multiple times a day from kids asking "WHERE'S MY RECORD". So I'm glad (knock on wood) that I would think people here would consider me a good seller/trader even if I am a little slow sometimes.

Not picking on genericinsight (we've never traded), but not being able to get to the post office over the course a week or two is a pet peeve of mine. But all it takes to make me happy is an update saying you weren't able to make it this week (I don't care what the excuse). Honesty and updates go a long way.

Guest genericinsight
I'm sometimes in the position where I can't always get to the post office because I don't drive/don't own a car, and sometimes the public transportation in this section of Brooklyn is RIDICULOUSLY unreliable. So because of work and such this poses a problem. For a while I traded at another board where I would literally get emails multiple times a day from kids asking "WHERE'S MY RECORD". So I'm glad (knock on wood) that I would think people here would consider me a good seller/trader even if I am a little slow sometimes.

Not picking on genericinsight (we've never traded), but not being able to get to the post office over the course a week or two is a pet peeve of mine. But all it takes to make me happy is an update saying you weren't able to make it this week (I don't care what the excuse). Honesty and updates go a long way.

Oh I agree, I definitely keep people updated on when I can't get stuff out (esp if it's been a week or two or longer). and I always keep people informed as to when I do send it out.

I understand what vinyljunkie is say and I do agree with it for the most part but I think this could be a good tool for everyone here to at least get some sort of feedback. I have deffinetly not been perfect about transactions in the past.

as far as this current situation, like I said in the other thread if this guy was at least communicating with me I wouldn't make a big deal about this. Yes he sells tons of stuff. Yes he could have just forgot to ship it and that's why it's taking awhile. Problem is he's barely communicated with me. This kind of thing also seems to be somewhat of a patter with him. That's why I decided to let everyone know.

Lines of communication are very important when it comes to trading. For example, (and I'm not singling her out...it's the most recent trade/purchase I have made), the first time I dealt with Barrie (genericinsight) was a good experience. I was not being impatient about a record she sent me and I know the mail down here takes forever for me to get. But she went ahead and dropped me a message apologizing for not having sent the record out earlier.

That kind of thing I don't mind. As long as the lines of communication are open and I know what the status of a record (or anything being traded or sold for that matter) then it's all OK within a reasonable space of time.

Hopefully this sticky thread will not be as massive as the 'Good People' one but I agree that it will be a good tool/reference for the future.

If you're running late in mailing a record out to someone, bite the bullet and send it Priority Mail instead of 1st Class or Media Mail. I've done that for people on here and they've done it for me, too, and it's just a nice, subtle way of saying, "I'm a douche and forgot to mail your record out on time."

Yes! to both Scott and Juan. Shoot me a pm or slap some extra postage on and all is forgiven. Don't leave me hangin'...I've had some international trades on here that have been completed in shorter times than domestic ones, and it sucks. I won't single anyone out, but if you trade with someone, get that shit out ASAP or give them a heads up. Shit happens. We all seem to be pretty understanding people. Let us know.