Terrible Traders/Buyers/Sellers

benchwarmer

Just a heads up. I'm not exactly sure if he is a shitty seller, but definitely a shitty buyer. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/user/18338-sheikhrecords/. Joseph D Cabibbo is his name on Facebook, which is where I sold him a record. He was a cool dude, even added him as a friend. Once he got the record he told me it was warped. Looked the like grooves had been melted and demanded his money back. After sending me some videos that did not show any of the problems he mentioned he threatened to get his money back through Paypal, and " you better have the money in your bank account or you'll get overdraft charges." After speaking to a representative from Paypal I was told to let him go through Paypal disputes so there is a record of everything. So I told him that and he opened up a dispute. Before escalating the dispute he asked me for more records to settle the dispute so I would not have to pay back the money. I half-heartedly agreed upon a few records from my collection, but then he changed it to different records, and more of them. I told him I would send him some records, but I did not have boxes to send them off yet and needed to get some boxes in the mail. He told me not to worry about it, Paypal would have his money back before then. After being an upstanding seller, and trying to be polite/work with him I was starting to feel a little strong armed, and slightly extorted. So I told him we will just let Paypal decide the case, and I escalated the dispute first. After that  submitted 8 pictures for evidence, as well as seller feedback and a file of our whole conversation. So then I dealt with 20 days of a frozen Paypal account, until Paypal decided for the buyer and had him return the record for a full refund. I got the record back today and not only does it play perfectly, it is not warped at all. All I can say that is positive about this buyer is he did not damage my record before sending back to me. Either way, if you deal with this guy, do it with caution.

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying to deal with Dead Format user mtXhope for about a month and a half now. Purchased a Dads 7" off one of his sale threads from late November and sent the money. Messaged me back saying he'd send it out the following Monday, as he was out of town. About a week later I asked if it was ever sent out because he never let me know. He said he'd just shipped it out because he ran into some car troubles. Fast forward to a couple weeks later, and the record still hasn't shown up. I messaged him multiple times last month and he still hasn't replied. 

Guess I'll leave this one up to PayPal. Not sure what his deal is, I've purchased a few records off him before with no hassle.

Just a heads up. I'm not exactly sure if he is a shitty seller, but definitely a shitty buyer. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/user/18338-sheikhrecords/. Joseph D Cabibbo is his name on Facebook, which is where I sold him a record. He was a cool dude, even added him as a friend. Once he got the record he told me it was warped. Looked the like grooves had been melted and demanded his money back. After sending me some videos that did not show any of the problems he mentioned he threatened to get his money back through Paypal, and " you better have the money in your bank account or you'll get overdraft charges." After speaking to a representative from Paypal I was told to let him go through Paypal disputes so there is a record of everything. So I told him that and he opened up a dispute. Before escalating the dispute he asked me for more records to settle the dispute so I would not have to pay back the money. I half-heartedly agreed upon a few records from my collection, but then he changed it to different records, and more of them. I told him I would send him some records, but I did not have boxes to send them off yet and needed to get some boxes in the mail. He told me not to worry about it, Paypal would have his money back before then. After being an upstanding seller, and trying to be polite/work with him I was starting to feel a little strong armed, and slightly extorted. So I told him we will just let Paypal decide the case, and I escalated the dispute first. After that  submitted 8 pictures for evidence, as well as seller feedback and a file of our whole conversation. So then I dealt with 20 days of a frozen Paypal account, until Paypal decided for the buyer and had him return the record for a full refund. I got the record back today and not only does it play perfectly, it is not warped at all. All I can say that is positive about this buyer is he did not damage my record before sending back to me. Either way, if you deal with this guy, do it with caution.

Wow. Yeah, that sounds exactly like what happened. He thought he could get something else out of you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to deal with Dead Format user mtXhope for about a month and a half now. Purchased a Dads 7" off one of his sale threads from late November and sent the money. Messaged me back saying he'd send it out the following Monday, as he was out of town. About a week later I asked if it was ever sent out because he never let me know. He said he'd just shipped it out because he ran into some car troubles. Fast forward to a couple weeks later, and the record still hasn't shown up. I messaged him multiple times last month and he still hasn't replied. 

Guess I'll leave this one up to PayPal. Not sure what his deal is, I've purchased a few records off him before with no hassle.

Yeah, I've bought from him before too. Weird. 

Thundrstruckk (Vinyl Collective and Dead Format)

Heads up to anyone selling to this guy. I got hit with two chargebacks today for two Man Overboard Test Presses. I have sold to him before and have never had any problems until this. Deal with extreme caution. If this happens to be a mistake I will update this post. BEWARE!!!!

Heads up to anyone selling to this guy. I got hit with two chargebacks today for two Man Overboard Test Presses. I have sold to him before and have never had any problems until this. Deal with extreme caution. If this happens to be a mistake I will update this post. BEWARE!!!!

I just traded with him and had no issues at all.

I sold him a Tigers Jaw test press and a Tigers Jaw 7" and he just hit me with a chargeback too! I sent the necessary evidence to PayPal to hopefully get this straightened out. Still annoying though, those weren't cheap records.

I just traded with him and had no issues at all. That and he has 25+ positive feedback...

It seems more sketchy when he goes and buys test presses from two different people and hits them both with chargebacks. 

Like Kjm23 said, deal with extreme caution with this kid.

Hopefully you get your money back! And hopefully this is just a really weird mistake. My records are in his tradelist too. I can't help but think that it isn't a mistake since he did it to two different people.

Oh well, guess I'll have to be more careful when dealing with people on here.

Is this a new thing?  The buyer asks a question about condition of a relatively cheap used record and if you played the LP, condition is listed at VG because of fingerprints and a few smudges but no scratches, offer to give back a few bucks if not satisfied, buyer purchases immediately for about $12.  5 Days later a case is opened stating condition was greatly over-rated and that the record would damage his turntable then demands a full refund, offer $6, he refuses, ebay says hold tight we are reviewing the case.  The next morning ebay says case is settled and have reimbursed him thru "buyer protection" and will let me, as the seller, keep the full purchase amount.  Huh.  What?  He, of course, immediately leaves negative feedback even after getting the LP for free.   Next I check his "feedback left for others" and he has consistently done the same thing over the months and years leaving negative feedback and then stating "ebay paid me anyway".   He has been a member since 2000.  

Is the word out this "scam" actually works?  

Ebay Seller warning.  Stay away from "musiccollectors" on ebay and purchases from Matt Olson from Beaverton, OR.  

Would not deal with adamhudson. He had no problem letting me pay for a record, wait a few days, then tell me there was a big scratch and he didn't want to sell like that. It was an expensive record and sounded like a bullshit answer but whatever .... then see a post where the same seller comments how he sold the same record to someone else. Guess that other buyer either wanted a badly scratched record as adamhudson told me or adamhudson is just a liar who is best not traded with.

Seem to be VG or better to me.  Clean and actually Play the record (instead of just looking) before any complaining that you got a VG- or G record.   There is usually a reason the record is priced a little lower.  There are three full grades (EX, NM, M) above and a couple more below (Good, Fair, Poor).  This is taken from ebay UK.   

VERY GOOD: The record has obviously been played many times, but displays no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any major defects, is acceptable. GOOD: The record has been played so much that the sound quality has noticeably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discolouration, etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/VINYL-RECORD-GRADING-GUIDE-/10000000001916909/g.html

As a ebay seller I am adding a contingent that I will research your feedback as a buyer and if you have frequently left feedback complaining about condition, sound or manufacturing defects on any LP or music transaction I reserve the right to cancel any purchases from me and will not send you any items.  And, In all likelihood, block you as a bidder from any of my items.  

I understand. If the record was either more rare to find or the cost was lower than average, I'd just bust out the microfiber cloth and make due.

My thought is, first, that I'd rather not be fiddling with the record, cleaning it with my own method of cleaning, and playing it- especially, if I want to keep the possibility of a refund open. I don't want to accidentally add wear or introduce the possibility of the condition being altered by me.

Second, the description was VG++ and their listings describes VG++ as shiny, like new. I'd be more open minded if there was a note about the record needing a cleaning, so I'd know to expect to have to clean it before I check its condition. I was just a bit confused how an opened, used record had this much residue and there was no mention of it.

I'm being a bit more descriptive and deliberate here, as a VC case study for us to discuss, since I'm always curious about how our expectations differ as buyers. I just emailed the seller and was polite and curious about the condition & they wrote back quickly and offered a refund, so it's been resolved in real life.

On the flip side, I bought an old Kind of Like Spitting record from a member here, who described it as "only played two or three times" and it arrived with cat hair, paper dust, finger smudges, scuffs, etc. Play tested it and there was some surface noise here and there. It was $9 so I was totally fine. If it was $35 I would probably inquire about a return.

Thanks for reading this week's edition of Bake Corner.

As a ebay seller I am adding a contingent that I will research your feedback as a buyer and if you have frequently left feedback complaining about condition, sound or manufacturing defects on any LP or music transaction I reserve the right to cancel any purchases from me and will not send you any items. And, In all likelihood, block you as a bidder from any of my items.

If you can find a way to block bids for that reason and not incur any infractions from eBay, that'd be a method to lower your chances of a refund. It seems like a lot of unnecessary steps though and I'd be wary of punishing future buyers with small print stipulations because of the conduct of bad apples.

As a seller, I think the most efficient way to eliminate Item Not as Described returns is to undergrade and over-describe the condition. If you do what you need to do as a seller, grade accurately and be open to reasonable returns, you should find that eBay will protect you when they need to.

When I read a lot of fine print on a listing, it gives me the same impression as when I read a dating profile or social media profile that is all about the individual's past issues. Ideally, your descriptions should target your prospective customers and not be catered to scammers or non-reputable buyers.

Also, there are reasonable disputes that arise due to inaccurate grading or descriptions. Someone who buys a lot of records on eBay will have to return some items eventually and may leave negative feedback. I would look at the context of the complaints before dismissing them as troublemaking because, if you grade accurately, a buyer who takes grading seriously will be an excellent customer and appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I sold him a Tigers Jaw test press and a Tigers Jaw 7" and he just hit me with a chargeback too! I sent the necessary evidence to PayPal to hopefully get this straightened out. Still annoying though, those weren't cheap records.

It seems more sketchy when he goes and buys test presses from two different people and hits them both with chargebacks. 

Like Kjm23 said, deal with extreme caution with this kid.

Dude hit me with a chargeback around the same time, won't reply to my PMs even though he's been online since. The record I sold him is now in his tradelist, and the tracking number said it was delivered within about 3 days of me shipping it. Dude's clearly trying to pull something, beware Thundrstruckk.

• 3 weeks later...

Made a bad experience with Vassilis Tserpes from Greece aka Flashbackstore over at discogs!

Bought Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" PROMO record for 65€ only to find a regular version today (after my holidays) at home...I'll get my money, but nevertheless, I'm pretty disappointed:

1.) Because the description clearly said "PROMO & BLUE/BLACK MARBLED" and he intentionally "chose" the wrong edition in discogs;
2.) Because he could clearly see from the sticker on the shrink, that this is NOT the Promo version
3.) Because the price he set is intentionally chosen for the marbled or promo version because the regular version can be found at around 25€.