Microsoft Surface VS. Laptop

So I'm trying to debate between getting another laptop or getting some kind of Laptop / Tablet combo thingie. Laptop, I would get more power (more RAM and ROM etc) and a CD/DVD or Bluray drive and would be cheaper, but the other I would get additional functionality as a tablet. Both are gonna have Windows 8, and both will be Microsoft Office compatable. Anybody have an opinion? (and before anybody says Mac, they're kinda outta my budget right now.)

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-US?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_HP_MNU_132F1ENUS32267

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE500T1C-A01US

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/U920T/U925T-S2300

Those three are very different price points.

I own a tablet and a PC. A tablet can replace a laptop only if you have a PC as well. So if you have a PC for doing actual work and just want something for enjoyment and basic functions a tablet works well. You aren't going to want to write papers or do graphic design work on a tablet.

I was just giving an example. The Samsung one is around the price of the Microsoft one. I'd just like to keep it between 500-800 preferably. The Toshiba one is out of my budget, I just wanted to give another example. The neat thing about these new laptop/tablet combos is that they can do word processing with an attachable keyboard. Fully equiped with Microsoft Office and everything. I guess what I'm asking is that if anybody has any hands on experience with these new tablet/laptop combos and if they think it's worth giving up some performance and features for additional functionality.

Wait until real solid reviews of the Surface start to appear. I tend to trust the opinions of Tekzilla, Tested, Lifehacker, and IGN and I haven't really heard a lot about it from them yet.

I was very interested in the Surface but like the iPad Mini, the price seems pretty high, still, it is very appealing.

I got to play with a Surface while at a training for work at a Microsoft store and I thought it was really cool. If you have Windows 8 at home, you can link it up with your Surface to access everything on your desktop (maybe more?).

It also comes with a fullsuite of 2013 Office, which isn't out yet.

Yeah, I think I'll probably wait for reviews. I'm kinda cautious about Microsoft's stuff after my Zune only lasted 2 years. Really wish it would've lasted longer. I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

Honestly dude, if you have a desktop where you could upload your MP3 library to Google Music (which is free) the new Chromebook would fit those needs. It's dirt cheap and is completely browser based (Chrome browser, Google Docs, Google Music) and would do all 3 of those things proficiently. I actually plan on getting my wife one for Christmas specifically for browsing while watching TV and plugging into our bedroom TV via HDMI to watch HBOgo and what not. At $250, I can't afford not to buy it haha.

I think in general if there isn't a specific reason for getting a tablet, get a laptop.

I'd say this, too. I just got a samsung ultrabook a few weeks ago that weights 2.5 lbs and I love it. plenty of power to do what I need it to do (e.g., statistical simulations), but still small enough to "comfortably" use it on a plane tray-table.

in your first post, you mention having a CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive -- do you *need* one? my ultrabook doesn't have one (they add thickness and weight), but you can get an external one for $30 for installing software. for things like movies and games, you can probably get away with streaming or copying the image files or something like that