Grad School

Well, staying positive, what exactly is your non-profit? Maybe for something like an animal shelter you could get away with paying someone that little and still have them enjoy their job.

My old roommate is a social worker at a non-profit, however, and eff his job. I think he made about $25k and had to deal with the worst shit from the retarded people he cared for. Guns pointed at him, guys giving BJs for crack money. It was only 20% of his clientele that did that stuff, but it made up 90% of his job dealing with them. He deserved at least about $50k.

I run a day program for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. http://www.arcgno.org

My old roommate was a guardian for an Arc in metro detroit. Assuming it's the same non-profit group (or maybe there are multiple "arcs").

He got asked to run some kind of "day program" and turned it down. Essentially it was using mentally retarded people to do easy jobs (things like screwing nozzles onto bottles that were sold to the dollar stores). I'm assuming you deal with the "90%" I was talking about earlier. Forget why he turned it down. Cool, though. Just sharin'.

Yeah, it's nice to get an extra week of vacation or two a year. I'm assuming you are a younger guy. When you have a wife, 3 kids, and a mortgage, being laid off frequently is unquestionably a negative to that kind of work.

yeah, i'm 22. still live at home, have limited bills. more than half of my bills are from school loans when i tried that shit out!

i'm just gonna never have it that my bills are more than i'd be making unemployed, and i could easily live off of $1,920 a month...plus my girl/future wife takes home another 1,200 a month, so i doubt we'd ever be hurting for money...

My old roommate was a guardian for an Arc in metro detroit. Assuming it's the same non-profit group (or maybe there are multiple "arcs").

He got asked to run some kind of "day program" and turned it down. Essentially it was using mentally retarded people to do easy jobs (things like screwing nozzles onto bottles that were sold to the dollar stores). I'm assuming you deal with the "90%" I was talking about earlier. Forget why he turned it down. Cool, though. Just sharin'.

There is one national organization called Arc, with many individual chapters (the Arc of Greater New Orleans is a chapter). They're all independently run and are supported by the national organization. As far as what your roommate did, we used to do that as well. Those are called 'sheltered workshops' where people do "piece-rate" work. Essentially, they get $0.05 an envelop to stuff a paper in it, lick it, and stamp it. The problem with that model is businesses were taking advantage of our population when, if our folk weren't available, they would have to pay non developmentally disabled people minimum wage to do the same thing.Our four locations that make up the Arc-GNO refuse to that. If we work, our people work for competitive wages. We have enterprises that are staffed by people with I/DD who do janitorial, vending, lawn care, etc work.I've been in the field for nearly ten years and I plan on being an advocate in Washington for this population in the next twenty years.

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting for this thread to be posted. I have a BA in psychology from UIC and I want to go back to school but I just cannot pull the trigger. I've been accepted to Loyola for school counseling, and a more local university for the same program. I've got my acceptance deferred until fall 2013 based on my current filmmaking endeavor but I just don't know if it's a good choice to go so far in debt to not even be guaranteed a job. I'm working a full time job that pays shit right now and living at home with my Dad. But I don't have any undergrad debt. I feel like I should continue my education but I don't know how I'll be able to support myself with a 700 dollar a month student loan bill. Any advice? Don't mean to ask for advice in the middle of a thread.

if you can stay in state, stay in state.  is loyola in louisiana?  or am i mixing that up?

i'll tell you right now, there will be a resurgence of funding for school counselors/guidance councelors in 2013/14 budgets in the Dept. of Ed. funding.  also, if you can find a program that has evening classes, you could still work.  or look into a grad assistance position at whatever school to have help cover some/all of the tuitiion.  I have a friend going to grad school for free as a GA for the sports ed department at WVU. 

Finished my first part time semester towards a MS in Education and Special Education. Right now I'm an Admissions Counselor at the college that I'm attending grad school and hope in a year or two end up with a teaching position in the NYC Department Of Education. Even though I work for the college I still gotta pay 75% of the difference.  :rolleyes: 

Took me several years to finally go back to school and I'm doing a little at a time. I'm hoping to land a paraprofessional job before I get into actual teaching because it will pay more than my current job and it will be with the special needs population I want to work with.

Finished my Masters in 2002 at the University of Florida. I was offered to continue on to a PhD fully funded. Realizing it wouldn't help me with my goals, saying no and heading out to chase my dreams broke as a joke but with a great education was one of the hardest, yet best, decisions I ever made. 

I've been waiting for this thread to be posted. I have a BA in psychology from UIC and I want to go back to school but I just cannot pull the trigger. I've been accepted to Loyola for school counseling, and a more local university for the same program. I've got my acceptance deferred until fall 2013 based on my current filmmaking endeavor but I just don't know if it's a good choice to go so far in debt to not even be guaranteed a job. I'm working a full time job that pays shit right now and living at home with my Dad. But I don't have any undergrad debt. I feel like I should continue my education but I don't know how I'll be able to support myself with a 700 dollar a month student loan bill. Any advice? Don't mean to ask for advice in the middle of a thread.

The age for us to draw social security will likely be about 70, if it exists. You likely have 30-40 years of working ahead of you. It will pay off, as long as you use the degree and don't end up back making films or whatever. You are talking about a masters, right? Take as little as you need to get by, and just get that shit over quick. My masters program was 32 credits and I could have easily handled two 16 credit semesters (assuming I was devoted to school full time).

Probably the best option would be to get a job in your field that will pay for all or some of your schooling. Job experience + advanced degree makes you even more employable than just a degree. This route would mean that the degree would take a couple years, though. I worked 50 hours a week for GM and did 8 credit hours one semester. That was my life pretty much.

If you are thinking about a PhD, that is a whole nother conversation.

• 7 months later...

"omg!  my defense is in 13.5 hours!" bump.  not sure I've ever been this freaked out for a two week period in my life...

july 11 AM: submit first draft of thesis

july 11 PM: girl I've been dating more or less breaks up with me (not much of a surprise given that I'm moving soon, but still)

july 12: advisor complains about how something relatively minor was written

july 14 AM: submit revised version

july 14 PM: advisor hates this version more than the first

july 15: submit new revised version; everyone's happy

july 16 at 3AM: submit thesis to committee

july 16 at 1PM: start packing for my move, realize that records take a hella long time to pack

july 24: start loading car for 8 hour drive

july 25: make 8 hour drive, pray that my records survive every bump (everything is fine)

july 26: unload car, u-haul, buy TV

july 27: make 8 hour drive back home

july 28: start putting together slides for defense

and on top of all of that, I have to get everything finalized by wednesday otherwise my degree won't be "conferred" until the end of august, which my soon-to-be employers at mizzou won't take too kindly.  and after all of this, I have to plan for a trip to montreal this weekend, and then get ready to "officially" move down to columbia, mo... totally freaking out here.

Congrats Dr. Harry!

Everyone asked me questions like "how good does it feel to be done?" To answer honestly I said "I'm glad to have finished but I thought it would feel way better."

I don't know about your school, at mine, if your advisor gives you the OK to schedule your defense you have pretty much graduated. Think only 1 person has ever failed their defense at my department and that person's advisor took shit for letting them go up and embarrass themselves.

So mostly, when you get to where you are now you know you've already made it. Just a matter of going through the motions at the defense. That's why I felt relief, not joy. Hard to feel joy if there is really no potential to fail.

But maybe your experience will be different. Just sharing mine.

And almost every employer will accept a letter from your school that essentially says "so and so has finished their degree requirements and we are just waiting for the conferral date." I started my current job with the Army months before my degree was conferred.

Let us know how it goes.

I dont have to do a thesis for my masters program, but over the course of the degree ive written a couple hundred pages in case/law analysis (one class i wrote close to 150 pages on 4 case analysis)... but let me tell you, I have one more semester, and im not sure what im going to do.  ive gotten acustomed to working and going to school that with all the free time i'll have when I graduate in December... im not sure what i'll do.  also debating on delaying my graduation date to May to do a co-op for the NLRB in the spring.. but im not sure yet.

I'm working on my last few classes for a MA in European History.  Its tough working full time and meeting the demands of school.

You are probably killer at Jeopardy. No common dudes can ever tell Henry the "x" from Henry the "y" (and a bunch of other Georges, Williams, Edwards, etc...)