Grad School

I mean, there's multiple players. If the money is source is fine and your advisor is fine, then you are fine. My advisor wouldn't have allowed that. He would look at it as "if there's enough funding here for 2 people then I want 2 grad students" and wouldn't have given the RA position.

There has to be something wrong if someone is getting paid twice for the same work.

Get those dolla bills if you can though.

Since you work in a tech field, check out the smart fellowship program if you want a guaranteed job with the government.

Gov work pays about 10-20% less but you get great benefits, tons of holidays and days off, low stress, and just an overall higher quality of life. I make $65k right now with a phd in industrial engineering working for the army. In my first year. Could definitely do better, but like my job. Going to make plenty of money with my degree regardless of what I do. Nice to not be married to my job.

dude go into industry, it's awesome. my advice though, get on at a big company. great money, great benefits, great job security.

i'm an R&D chemist and I only work 7:30-4 M-F, and we're about to go to 9 80's (9 hour shifts with every other Friday off). its WAY more lax than grad school was.

Grad school was lax for me. I think my advisor had too many students (around 10) so he really couldn't watch over us closely.

If I was ever a professor I would do it the other way (if my job was to get a lot out of grad students). I'd make them treat it like a real job and show up every day and stay 8 hours. I sometimes went 2 or 3 weeks without actually physically going to the school.

Grad school was lax for me. I think my advisor had too many students (around 10) so he really couldn't watch over us closely.

If I was ever a professor I would do it the other way (if my job was to get a lot out of grad students). I'd make them treat it like a real job and show up every day and stay 8 hours. I sometimes went 2 or 3 weeks without actually physically going to the school.

yeah we were expected to put in 60 hours/week minimum

I just finished my first full semester in the EdS program for Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Loyola. I love my coursework and the professors are amazing. It's a shame I'm paying so much for it but at least I'm not going to a 'degree mill' school that costs more and I feel has a sub par education to offer. My class sizes are 16 or less and we always have discussions when someone doesn't quite understand what is happening. I have to pick an agency to intern at and apply for the internship in the next coming months, I'm excited but I feel it's going to be a lot of very hard work. 

Anyone juggling a part time job/full time graduate program? 

I worked full time while doing my masters program in labor relations.  worked basically 8 - 5 and would have class at night for 2 years straight.  would have loved to have lived on campus, but my wife and I own our home, bills to pay, and my work was paying for part of my tuition.  just got an email my grades were accepted (4.0!) and my final reimbursement check will be coming!  so excited!!

i did my masters a couple years ago.  it was a program that paid my full tuition if i worked in a certain city for a certain amount of time, and the program also had me "interning" full time on top of course work.  it was an intense program, but totally worth it.  AND my commitment to fulfill my tuition repayment is up in june.  life can once again be mine for the choosing.

i did my masters a couple years ago.  it was a program that paid my full tuition if i worked in a certain city for a certain amount of time, and the program also had me "interning" full time on top of course work.  it was an intense program, but totally worth it.  AND my commitment to fulfill my tuition repayment is up in june.  life can once again be mine for the choosing.

what was the program?

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be graduating from undergrad after this semester and going to law school in the fall. I'll most likely be attending Rutgers or Seton Hall in NJ because Rutgers offered me a full scholarship (assuming I maintain a 3.0, which I am going to ask them to bring down a little) and Seton Hall offered close to a full scholarship.

How can you expect to get a scholarship and not maintain a 3.0? I get that law school is effing hard and they don't just hand out A's for participation, but that seems like it should be pretty doable.

It should definitely be doable and I am no way planning on being even close to a 3.0. HOWEVER, they grade on a curve and I want a little more insurance for something that I can't control and I don't end up suddenly paying out of my ass...

This comes across incredibly naive to me. If I were deciding who to give a scholarship to and they asked to negotiate a GPA lower than a 3.0, I'd take it as a sign of poor motivation and possibly balk at choosing that person if I was on the fence about who to give it to.

Grading on a curve doesn't really mean anything. If you are on scholarship, you are supposed to be setting the curve (or at least, near the top of it).

School costs a shitload of money and there is always risk, so I get being careful. If your top concern is avoiding the risk of debt, I think the logical thing to do is to set your sights on a less prestigious school, not go to try and lower the expectations put on you at a higher one.

This comes across incredibly naive to me. If I were deciding who to give a scholarship to and they asked to negotiate a GPA lower than a 3.0, I'd take it as a sign of poor motivation and possibly balk at choosing that person if I was on the fence about who to give it to.

Grading on a curve doesn't really mean anything. If you are on scholarship, you are supposed to be setting the curve (or at least, near the top of it).

School costs a shitload of money and there is always risk, so I get being careful. If your top concern is avoiding the risk of debt, I think the logical thing to do is to set your sights on a less prestigious school, not go to try and lower the expectations put on you at a higher one.

gotta agree with all this.  dont go to rutgers or Seton hall if you're worried about the risk of going greatly in debt. 

I appreciate your opinion thebiglebowski. If you were to go on any forum for kids going to law school, they would say not asking for more is a naive thing to do. The thing is, Rutgers isn't that prestigious in terms of law school. If I had to choose between two schools that gave me the exact same offers (not saying Seton Hall and Rutgers gave me the same offer but if I were to add the statistically better employment outcomes from Seton Hall to their offer, it might be roughly the same) wouldn't I want to ask for a better offer from one of them to help my choice along? It is an offer after all and with legal work as low as it is nowadays, I want to be open to different opportunities that come my way post-law school. With a potential massive amount of debt (again, just insurance to make me feel better), it sort of limits that.

I am a hard worker and I know that I can maintain that 3.0. Is it bad to just be nervous?