Jack White/Third Man Records announces a bunch of new gimmicky bullshit

From the inbox:

Third Man Records invites one and all to join them in Nashville the day after Thanksgiving a/k/a Black Friday for the Grand Opening of The Third Man Records Novelties Lounge: http://youtu.be/Y8YnmSbFoCs

What exactly is The Third Man Records Novelties Lounge, you ask? Well, Third Man has not only expanded its record shop space--it's also styled it out with a dazzling array of coin-operated contraptions and attractions starting with the world's ONLY Scopitone machine fully loaded with modern music! For the uninitiated, Scopitones were a type of jukebox that instead of playing records, played 16mm music videos! Visitors to the Third Man Novelties Lounge can choose from 36 different videos from theThird Man catalog, ALL on 16mm film with dynamic magnetic sound! Learn more about Scopitones and see some old films here: http://scopitones.blogs.com/

TMR_scopitone.jpg

Third Man Records is also excited to unveil their very own custom Mold-a-Rama machine. Usually found at zoos or museums, these machines spit out brightly colored wax molds of everything from the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile, a tyrannosaurus or a bust of President Kennedy. TMR's machine is currently outfitted to pump out a fire-engine red miniature of Jack White's classic Airline guitar and there are already plans underway for additional molds. Visit www.moldamania.com for all kinds of history and classic photos of the Mold-a-Rama world.

123.jpg

And last but most certainly not least, you can now take a strip of film photographs as a memento of your visit to Third Man in the all analog Dip n' Dunk full color Third Man Records Photo Booth.

TMR_photobooth.jpg

As far as the Third Man Records' release schedule goes, in the spirit of Record Store Day's annual Black Friday event, available at Third Man only will be 100 Tri Color 45s of Jack White's I'm Shakin single. And for the first time anywhere, the world's oldest burlesque dancer Tempest Storm will make her TMR debut with the Tempest Storm Green Series (TMR 129) single--released in an unprecedented new format: a picture disc when coupled with some household items (flashlight, drinking glass) and not-so-household items (magical Bolt-a-Trope disc... provided!) turns into a quick keyhole peek-a-boo glimpse at the wonderful Miss Storm performing her patented tease. The zoetrope effect truly needs to be seen to be believed.

And as if that's not enough... a trio of singles from The White Stripes! Along with the previously announced Limited Edition Opaque Red Vinyl re-issue singles from The White Stripes from the White Blood Cells album (listed below) some in-store Black Friday goodies will be made available in extremely limited quantities, including an authorized re-print of the first ever White Stripes silk-screened poster done by Von Munz (50 copies for sale on Friday), White Stripes Turntables... AND MORE.

WS_Mistreaters_poster.jpg

Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground b/w Stop Breaking Down (TMR 170)

Hotel Yorba b/w Rated X (TMR 168)

Fell In Love With a Girl b/w I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself (TMR 169)

So please join Third Man Records this brightest ever Black Friday for lots of fun, gizmos, records and a fantastic sale featuring Third Man, White Stripes and Raconteurs items and merchandise Bundle Deals going at a very NICE PRICE. You'll surely give thanks for these awesome new toys.

I'm not a White Stripes or Jack White fan, but really, it's just promotional stuff. It gets his store talked about, and really record stores in general. Plus his gimmicks get people talking about vinyl and buying music in general.

I get the "ugh, here we go again" mentality but I don't see the problem with it,

God forbid he have some fun with his money.

I love love love Jack White and (most of) his many bands. (Never got into the Raconteurs.) But if you can't look at all of this and say, "This is gimmicky bullshit," then you're blinded by fandom. I'd rather have him spend his time, money and effort writing another kickass record.

I love love love Jack White and (most of) his many bands. (Never got into the Raconteurs.) But if you can't look at all of this and say, "This is gimmicky bullshit," then you're blinded by fandom. I'd rather have him spend his time, money and effort writing another kickass record.

With that argument, isn't all merchandising just "gimmicky bullshit"? At least he's doing SOMETHING. I think he works hard enough as it is, that he's allowed to blow his money on a photo booth, mold maker, and 16mm reel projector and put them in his store. If I had the disposable income and fandom, I would, too. He could just hide away in a house somewhere in the suburbs of Nashville and pretend like his fans don't exist.

for most situations i'd agree with this, but jack is hardly whoring out his back catalog. at least a new jack album every year since this man opened (DW, JW, etc) and producing tons of singles and bands people would otherwise never hear of (and some i wish i didn't), the man is a workaholic and doing more for vinyl than arguably anyone today.

Of all the Third Man gimmicks this is pretty tame. The semi-humorous part is I've actually always thought about if I was going to start a bar I would have a photo booth and the plastic mold machine or the penny flattening machines.

I want more records attached to balloons. Dropping vinyl out of an airplane would be fun, Death by falling vinyl would be an acceptable way to die.