WordPress theme for cataloging records

moegly

This isnt really my fight, im just throwing in my person opinion.

Still think you should give out a coupon code to help get yourself off the ground. That's just smart marketing. Or should I say smarketing?

I would be more convinced to try it out if you didnt have such a "fuck you, i dont care if you dont want to buy it" attitude. Either way, good luck with your site/service.

I would be more convinced to try it out if you didnt have such a "fuck you, i dont care if you dont want to buy it" attitude. Either way, good luck with your site/service.

As the thread shows, I never said any of that. Of course I want people to use it, but I originally had it listed for $20 and then for Black Friday through Cyber Monday I have it listed for half price. Just because a few people want a product for free doesn't mean the person or company selling it should give it away. That's not saying "Fuck You", that's saying, I spent 30 or so hours on this project and I think my time and the theme is worth more than nothing. I have nothing against anyone on here, this was literally my first thread on VC.

Man, you guys take shit way too seriously. Charlie and Moegly adapted my blog list into a Wordpress theme, which is an adaptation of something beautiful that Derek created. So they'd like to charge some money for their work. Take a look at other premium Wordpress themes, which often sell for $35-50 - http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

"People here love discounts". Everybody, everywhere likes discounts. But they set a price and shouldn't have to devalue their work because you want something and can't have it without shelling out. If you like it, buy it. If not, continue using DeadFormat or GoogleDocs or whatever. I'm sure as time goes on, they'll add more functionality and maybe it'll be worth the $20 to you.

/$0.02

Shit, I've gotten way behind on updating PlayThisRecord. Been a busy year for me.

And for the record, Derek is awesome and I can't thank him enough for setting up that .PSD template to get my blog going.

Man, you guys take shit way too seriously. Charlie and Moegly adapted my blog list into a Wordpress theme, which is an adaptation of something beautiful that Derek created. So they'd like to charge some money for their work. Take a look at other premium Wordpress themes, which often sell for $35-50 - http://themeforest.n...egory/wordpress

"People here love discounts". Everybody, everywhere likes discounts. But they set a price and shouldn't have to devalue their work because you want something and can't have it without shelling out. If you like it, buy it. If not, continue using DeadFormat or GoogleDocs or whatever. I'm sure as time goes on, they'll add more functionality and maybe it'll be worth the $20 to you.

/$0.02

Shit, I've gotten way behind on updating PlayThisRecord. Been a busy year for me.

And for the record, Derek is awesome and I can't thank him enough for setting up that .PSD template to get my blog going.

If I followed all of this correctly, I took it that Derek didnt like that they had copied his design and charged for it. Could have read that all wrong though.

Seems cool, but I'll stick to using Dead Format. I just don't feel the need to pay money for this when what I'm using will suffice.

And maybe it's just me, but spending 30 hours or so doesn't justify getting hundreds, or even thousands if you get a couple hundred people to try it.

Jesse pretty much nailed it. I love the innovation they took with being able to manually upload tiny thumbnails, and punch all the data in via fields. It's much cleaner than something like Dead Format, no doubt. But being a web designer of sorts, I kind of expected the OP to take his own route, aesthetically. Change the font. Change the color scheme. Chance the divider graphics. Change something for the sake of originality. I understand that he "worked with" Brian or whatever, but if you're going to ask prices for an original product, one should make sure that it's - you know - original.

lolwut. It wouldn't be hard at all.

By all means, go for it. Text-wrap happens. Fields and margins clash. Image entries may not be the most practical route, but they're certainly the most stable. There's also a PS action to resize / adjust the album art, which saves ample time over manually uploading a piece for each entry. The variant-icon is also a lot easier to work with in a .PSD (though it's missing entirely from the OP's site).

Man, you guys take shit way too seriously. Charlie and Moegly adapted my blog list into a Wordpress theme, which is an adaptation of something beautiful that Derek created. So they'd like to charge some money for their work. Take a look at other premium Wordpress themes, which often sell for $35-50 - http://themeforest.n...egory/wordpress

/$0.02

your blog is fantastic by the way, one of my favorite places to visit on the web.

As the thread shows, I never said any of that. Of course I want people to use it, but I originally had it listed for $20 and then for Black Friday through Cyber Monday I have it listed for half price. Just because a few people want a product for free doesn't mean the person or company selling it should give it away. That's not saying "Fuck You", that's saying, I spent 30 or so hours on this project and I think my time and the theme is worth more than nothing. I have nothing against anyone on here, this was literally my first thread on VC.

30 whole hours?

But being a web designer of sorts, I kind of expected the OP to take his own route, aesthetically. Change the font. Change the color scheme. Chance the divider graphics. Change something for the sake of originality. I understand that he "worked with" Brian or whatever, but if you're going to ask prices for an original product, one should make sure that it's - you know - original.

As I've now mentioned several times, I didn't design it, I just developed it. If you have issues with the design, take it up with the designer and maybe he'll change it, but complaining on this thread isn't going to do anything at this point.

Are you suggesting Charlie Wagers designed it? Because his work is fantastic; both creative and original. I strongly suspect he'd contribute [significantly] more than what the current WordPress template offers.

I'm not suggesting it, I'm telling you that he did (http://www.charliewagers.com/2012/11/recordpress-wordpress-theme/). So any of your design related issues can be taken to him, I just developed the PSD I was given.

Seems cool, but I'll stick to using Dead Format. I just don't feel the need to pay money for this when what I'm using will suffice.

And maybe it's just me, but spending 30 hours or so doesn't justify getting hundreds, or even thousands if you get a couple hundred people to try it.

The amount of time spent on it is irrelevant. If a developer only spends 5 minutes on a program, but it's something that is unique in function and/or desirable to many, is he/she not entitled every dime if it can be individually sold to 200k users? Perfect example is that Draw Something game that went crazy earlier this year. A single, simple well thought app made a few people a ton of $, and they earned every penny of it.

The amount of time spent on it is irrelevant. If a developer only spends 5 minutes on a program, but it's something that is unique in function and/or desirable to many, is he/she not entitled every dime if it can be individually sold to 200k users? Perfect example is that Draw Something game that went crazy earlier this year. A single, simple well thought app made a few people a ton of $, and they earned every penny of it.

It's not unique though. And the guy straight up used the "30 hours" as a justification for charging out the ass for it.

Are you suggesting Charlie Wagers designed it? Because his work is fantastic; both creative and original. I strongly suspect he'd contribute [significantly] more than what the current WordPress template offers.

Hello all, Charlie here. I (for an unknown reason) cannot access this forum, so Brian is posting on my behalf (thanks Brian). So here's the deal: I originally wanted to set up a record-list like Brian's and thought he had a WordPress based template to do so. So I asked him for it, he sent over a PSD and said everything was image-based and then manually plugged into an HTML document. I told him I would LOVE if it existed as a WordPress theme, and he told me that if I (or my programmer) built it, he would be glad to give it a try. SO, I put together a mock-up, which was very inspired by Brian/Derek's design, and then Moegly spent countless hours making the thing work. It's as simple as that. Instead of me paying Moegly $1,000+ out of my pocket just for a little hobby, I thought this could be a neat project. Up until this point, I was unaware that Brian didn't do the entire thing himself. With Brian's permission, I asked Moegly to code the thing, and he did a KILLER job on it. Brian & I aren't asking for any money for it, because Moegly put in a ton of hard work on it.

On that note, Derek; thanks a ton for the kind words. If you'd like to further discuss, I'd appreciate it if you'd please write me directly at [email protected]. We posted on this forum so that people might get excited about it, and want to give it a try. I'd rather handle the actual formalities outside of a public forum, and keep the positive vibes for everyone else. Cool?

Overall, I think it's a very cool project, and I hope people open up to the idea. Trust me, no one is going to make a ton of money on this thing. It was just a labor of love, for something we all share: our records. That being said, if you do choose to buy it, we'd hugely appreciate it if you didn't share the file, so that Moegly does get re-imbursed for the many hours of work he put in.

Thanks! -cw

i don't really care about what people use to list their records or how much they pay for it, but personally, i'm not going to pay any amount of money just to list what records i have online. it looks great, and Play this Record is awesome, but i can't justify paying anything just to list the records that i own on a website. it just isn't worth it to me. so there's my two cents. value them at what they're worth.

so, has anyone bought this?

the more i think about it, the more i think this should be free and require a link to the source. it would definitely be great advertising for the designer and in turn, probably make more than selling this for $10 would.

Free wont work, as clearly stated in the topic that he wants to be compensated for his 30 hrs + more. I suggested a discount code. Usually when websites or services launch, they will offer the product at a discounted price as a way to get more interest and people willing to actually try it. Thus turning around and creating word of mouth, which in my opinion is priceless.

Even new apps in the app store start off at like 99 c then go up to 2.99 or 3.99 once they at least establish a userbase.

Either way, it's his theme and he can do what he wants with it. If he wants to charge $100 cause thay is how much he feels its worth, then more power to him. just not the best way to approach something like this, IMO, especially when there are other FREE alternatives.

so, has anyone bought this?

the more i think about it, the more i think this should be free and require a link to the source. it would definitely be great advertising for the designer and in turn, probably make more than selling this for $10 would.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Every artist, designer, programmer, photographer and more hears this everytime they're approached for work by some cheapass who wants something but is told they have to pay for it. Then everyone expects free work. Designers and programmers and photographers have rent to pay and need food to eat and college loans to pay off.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Every artist, designer, programmer, photographer and more hears this everytime they're approached for work by some cheapass who wants something but is told they have to pay for it. Then everyone expects free work. Designers and programmers and photographers have rent to pay and need food to eat and college loans to pay off.

i mean it looks pretty, but you have to set up the website, link back to the website, and it doesn't really have great functionality. it's not part of a community like dead format or discogs where you can search and sell, so i don't really see the value. but i am wondering how many people will buy this.