Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

I have a "Live at Lollapalooza 1993-08-07 Irwindale, CA" bootleg 12" that is purple.

I got it pretty cheap (10 or 12 bucks) via the mail from Graveface Curiosities shop.

Sounds great, but don't know if it's from a lossless source or high bitrate mp3.

http://www.discogs.com/Tool-Lollapalooza/release/3479755

I already have a lossless FLAC copy from trading bootlegs, but thought that it was a pretty low risk to check out at that price.

Sounds great!!

I have a "Live at Lollapalooza 1993-08-07 Irwindale, CA" bootleg 12" that is purple.

I got it pretty cheap (10 or 12 bucks) via the mail from Graveface Curiosities shop.

Sounds great, but don't know if it's from a lossless source or high bitrate mp3.

http://www.discogs.c...release/3479755

I already have a lossless FLAC copy from trading bootlegs, but thought that it was a pretty low risk to check out at that price.

Sounds great!!

I'm interested to know this one's source (analogue/24bit/16bit). I find the live recording of "Jerk-off" to be superior to the one on Opiate. Isn't that bootleg sourced from a 2cd australian version of Undertow?

I remember reading at least 10+ years ago in an interview that Maynard did where he said the original pressing of Aenima had a hidden part of a song where the groove wasnt cut as deep as the other part and when the needle took that path it actually had a different part of the song that wasnt on the cd. He said that it only happened like 10% of the time that the needle would take that groove or something. I wish I remember what song he said it was. I always wondered if this was true or if it was just typical Maynard.

Likely he was talking about Opiate- the hidden track, the Gaping Lotus Experience is on a "double-cut" groove (track A2 if my memory is correct). This did make it to later pressings, btw. I had a new pressing of Opiate with it.

Also to note side A on original copies of Aenima end with a locked groove for the first portion of "Useful Idiot". I sold my OG copy some time ago and haven't listen to my orange boot to see if the boot is the same. Now I have a way to tell if the boot is likely copied from the OG.

Update: Indeed, my orange boot w/printed sleeve replicas does not have the locked groove on 'useful idiot', there is also no continuation of the aforementioned track on side B.

Tool's releases are full of typos. Salival liner notes, early copies of Lateralus had the titular track as "Lateralis" (causing the aenima~aenema thing to happen).. They're making up words... it's probably just to screw with people. This is the same band that posted false song titles to their site such as "Prescipissed," "Bindlecup," "Alcawhorlick," "Alcaharlot," "Bushwhacker," "Munge," "Poopy the Clown," "Gullabored," "Smell Me," and "Buzz's Revenge."

Here's the info I have on file for the master source... no idea if it was transcoded to lossy for the LP, though.

The second Tool show I ever went to is the Kalamazoo, MI 98 bootleg which is hands down the best sounding live Tool material available.

PM me if you haven't heard this so I can get it into your hands!

Tool - 1993.08.07

Santa Fe Dam - Irwindale, CA, USA

Version 2

media type: FLAC

source: ASBM > DDC2 32khz > 1st gen CDR > EAC (Secure Mode) > CDWave (tracking) > .WAV > .FLAC

disc 1 - 7 tracks - 40:30

notes: Someone plays Tablas during Opiate. Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine does the spoken word on Bottom. 3rd generation FLAC first shared in September 2010.

Tool

1993-08-07

Irwindale, CA

Santa Fe Dam

Lollapalooza '93

Source: Soundboard

Transfer: ASBM > DDC2 32khz > CDR > EAC (Secure Mode) > CDWave (tracking) > .WAV > .FLAC

Generation: 3rd

Notes: *Someone plays Tablas during Opiate. **Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine does the spoken word on Bottom.

Setlist:

01 - Intolerance - 5:59

02 - Cold & Ugly - 4:27

03 - Sober - 5:47

04 - Swamp Song - 6:27

05 - Opiate - 6:23*

06 - Bottom - 7:00**

07 - Jerk-off - 4:27

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread! Thanks to everyone for sharing information.

Question about Undertow Promotional issues: I would like to have confirmed that they (clear and gray) were only released in 1993 and NOT 1996. Discogs lists a release date for both years and it has me really confused.

My copy:

stretch wrap long gone.

Gray cover with a matte finish and promo punch. Parental advisory is printed on the actual cover, not a sticker.

ZP11052-1 is on the spine

The vinyl is a clear greenish color

Deadwax: ZP-11052-1-A-DMM SP 1-1 MASTERDISK
Label: Zoo Entertainment BMG 7 2445-11052-1 Fat lady/Cow images

Disgustipated is not on the album.

^ That's all correct. In 1993, Undertow was released ONLY as the promotional vinyl. Gray cover artwork/colored vinyl, etc. I'm fairly certain both the gray and clear came out at the same time.

The actual commercial press of Undertow didn't see the light of day until 1996, when Ænima came out.

The second Tool show I ever went to is the Kalamazoo, MI 98 bootleg which is hands down the best sounding live Tool material available.

PM me if you haven't heard this so I can get it into your hands!

If anyone wants that Tool Kalamazoo show go to http://mydrive.ch and log in as user1@mameeshkamowskwoz with the password "toolkzoo".

I have the show posted there as FLAC files.

I assume only one person can be logged in at a time so if it denies you just try it later.

• 4 weeks later...

I just don't understand why they won't repress Aenima or press 10,000 Days at all. Both would be like printing money! Who's clogging the works on this, the record company or the band?

At least throw us some vinyl represses to generate renewed interest in the band if you insist on dragging your feet and touring and recording with Puscifer while allegedly working on Tool, Maynard. 

Also, as neat as the pic disc looks, I'd really like a Lateralus repress on black 180g vinyl instead of pic disc.

I just don't understand why they won't repress Aenima or press 10,000 Days at all. Both would be like printing money! Who's clogging the works on this, the record company or the band?

At least throw us some vinyl represses to generate renewed interest in the band if you insist on dragging your feet and touring and recording with Puscifer while allegedly working on Tool, Maynard. 

Also, as neat as the pic disc looks, I'd really like a Lateralus repress on black 180g vinyl instead of pic disc.

This post is life. 150% agree! Printing money indeed!

• 4 weeks later...

Per Tool's Facebook:

TOOL
will release a handcrafted, bonus-laden, limited edition package of
their original debut EP, Opiate, on Mar. 26 to mark the 21st anniversary
of the six-song release.

The anniversary edition is limited
to 5,000 copies and features art direction by Adam Jones, illustrations
by legendary artist Adi Granov and design packaging by Mackie Osborne,
who has collaborated with TOOL on many albums including 10,000 Days,
Lateralus and Salival as well as posters and merchandise.

The 5,000 copies will be broken down as 5 x 1,000 runs with each set
featuring a variation of the exterior graphics and included bonus items
which include a new stereoscopic image for fans to use with their
glasses from the 10,000 Days packaging.

The packages will only be available via TOOL's website (www.toolband.com)
on Mar. 26 and there will be no pre-orders. A limit of three packages
from each of the 5 x 1,000 versions will be in place. More details to
be announced soon.