Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I have seen some original Aenima pressings with the "TOOL Aenima" sticker on the top or bottom center of the cover and some without (all unsealed). Was this a difference between the first and second pressing? Why do some have it and some not?

I know what sticker you're talking about, most of them also had the large, "old-school" Parental Advisory stickers, too. Don't know if they differed from 1st to 2nd pressings, but the ones you saw could've just had them taken off. I haven't owned an OG copy of either, but I'm told the 2nd pressing has a much larger "TOOL - AENIMA" on the spine. Also, BMG/Zoo logos on the back would help you out.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I have seen some original Aenima pressings with the "TOOL Aenima" sticker on the top or bottom center of the cover and some without (all unsealed). Was this a difference between the first and second pressing? Why do some have it and some not?

There's two pressings of the OG. One had the Tool sticker on the shrink, the other didn't. Sometimes people would take the sticker off the shrink wrap and place it on the cover. There's a few other differences between the two pressings. They have different sized fonts/logos on the spine. The center labels are very vivid and noticeable on one of the pressings. The other has the same design for the center labels but you can barely see it as it has almost no color (this is the version I have). I know what I just mentioned may sound confusing but there are definitely two versions of the OG pressing. 

I know what sticker you're talking about, most of them also had the large, "old-school" Parental Advisory stickers, too. Don't know if they differed from 1st to 2nd pressings, but the ones you saw could've just had them taken off. I haven't owned an OG copy of either, but I'm told the 2nd pressing has a much larger "TOOL - AENIMA" on the spine. Also, BMG/Zoo logos on the back would help you out.

There's two pressings of the OG. One had the Tool sticker on the shrink, the other didn't. Sometimes people would take the sticker off the shrink wrap and place it on the cover. There's a few other differences between the two pressings. They have different sized fonts/logos on the spine. The center labels are very vivid and noticeable on one of the pressings. The other has the same design for the center labels but you can barely see it as it has almost no color (this is the version I have). I know what I just mentioned may sound confusing but there are definitely two versions of the OG pressing. 

Thanks for the info!

Well, just in case it wasn't annoying enough trying to differentiate between Ænima pressings, here's this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261181797107&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The much more realistic bootleg now comes on black vinyl, thereby confusing anyone else who may not think to look at the barcode/spine/inner sleeves.

I sent the guy a PM and told him it was a boot, he was cool with it, and changed the description. He's also selling an actual OG press too, in case anyone wants to check that out.

There was a video on their Facebook page today of art for the Opiate release being printed on a press.

It appeared to be an appropriately sized piece of paperboard for a cd... so while does not mean no vinyl release, it's not a positive sign that it will be pressed.

Well, just in case it wasn't annoying enough trying to differentiate between Ænima pressings, here's this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261181797107&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The much more realistic bootleg now comes on black vinyl, thereby confusing anyone else who may not think to look at the barcode/spine/inner sleeves.

I sent the guy a PM and told him it was a boot, he was cool with it, and changed the description. He's also selling an actual OG press too, in case anyone wants to check that out.

One of the LPs is colored. That's a dead give away of a boot so it doesn't seem confusing to me.

There was a video on their Facebook page today of art for the Opiate release being printed on a press.

It appeared to be an appropriately sized piece of paperboard for a cd... so while does not mean no vinyl release, it's not a positive sign that it will be pressed.

Yeah, I saw that too. From what I can tell, the music's going to be the same as any copy of Opiate, right? It sounds like they're just overhauling the artwork, with some sweet 3D stuff. If that's the case, isn't it just easier to get the re-issue on vinyl for like 8 bucks? I'd love to see some more vinyl from Tool, seeing as how we've had no official vinyl releases since 2005, but I'm not holding my breath.

One of the LPs is colored. That's a dead give away of a boot so it doesn't seem confusing to me.

I've seen just about every combination of colors for this one, so there's bound to be a double black copy floating around out there. If the guy who pressed these was smart, he'd make more of these, and since I've never seen any black vinyl for this bootleg before, I'm guessing they're still being produced, only a matter of time.

Yeah, I saw that too. From what I can tell, the music's going to be the same as any copy of Opiate, right? It sounds like they're just overhauling the artwork, with some sweet 3D stuff. If that's the case, isn't it just easier to get the re-issue on vinyl for like 8 bucks? I'd love to see some more vinyl from Tool, seeing as how we've had no official vinyl releases since 2005, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think the initial post hinted at some extra tracks.

I wouldn't expect a ton of extra material, but Opiate is only 27 minutes long... that leaves an awful lot of extra space on a cd.

I've seen just about every combination of colors for this one, so there's bound to be a double black copy floating around out there. If the guy who pressed these was smart, he'd make more of these, and since I've never seen any black vinyl for this bootleg before, I'm guessing they're still being produced, only a matter of time.

There's already been a few double black bootleg copies. The ones I've seen have some clear signs of being boots and are pretty easy to spot

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Aenima-x2-LP-A-Perfect-Circle-Puscifer-/221197781818?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item33806a4b3a

Notice the catalog numbers in white on the center labels. That's one of the main ways to tell it's a boot right away..

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my bootleg after finding it was clearly not even copied from the original press... no locked groove on side A... different splits between sides too.

Anyone wanting to hear a high-quality copy of the original pressing, hit me up.  I kept a few recordings of it before I sold it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I found a copy of 10,000 days on vinyl 2XLP that is not listed anywhere I look. The cover looks like the red, blue, and green versions, however it was pressed on white/blue marble wax. I know its a bootleg even though I bought it at Independent Records (downtown) in Colorado Springs. I wont know about sound quality till I get back to a turntable in June. Figured I'd share and ask if anyone has any other information about it to share.Thanks and cheers!

534827_601903629834380_1252862511_n.jpg

So I found a copy of 10,000 days on vinyl 2XLP that is not listed anywhere I look. The cover looks like the red, blue, and green versions, however it was pressed on white/blue marble wax. I know its a bootleg even though I bought it at Independent Records (downtown) in Colorado Springs. I wont know about sound quality till I get back to a turntable in June. Figured I'd share and ask if anyone has any other information about it to share.Thanks and cheers!

It's almost certainly the exact same bootleg I have listed. The fact that it's in a new(ish) color just goes to show that they're still in print and being sold today. As far as quality goes, it's not terrible, except there's a 2-second gap in between every track; really throws off the cool flow from Wings Pt. 1 to Wings Pt. 2...

Anyway, mind if I ask what you paid? Feel like I got stiffed at my record store...

It's almost certainly the exact same bootleg I have listed. The fact that it's in a new(ish) color just goes to show that they're still in print and being sold today. As far as quality goes, it's not terrible, except there's a 2-second gap in between every track; really throws off the cool flow from Wings Pt. 1 to Wings Pt. 2...

Anyway, mind if I ask what you paid? Feel like I got stiffed at my record store...

I paid $40 I think. They have another one I've never seen which is a Tool/Korn disc on red. I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to pick that one up.

Edit: It was Silver Tongue I seen. Gave me a good reason to go to the record store.  :D