Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

19 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

All that hype just to announce people can stream compressed 192kbps versions of their albums. Whoopdy-freaking-doo!!!

You're thinking about this all wrong. Now all the Bieber fans can find out what the big deal is with this Tool band they've been hearing about.

29 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

This Dutch site has the new LP up for preorder, and mentions new vinyl pressings of the other albums: https://www.hoeshop.nl/a-56948912/welkom/tool-fear-inoculum-lp-versie/#description

Now that's the news I've been hoping for.  

Well the new high res remasters have been well taken care of, they’re not fully dynamic like the Hoffman SACD remaster of RATM’s debut which IMO is hands down the go to mastering of that excellent album, but while Undertow has lost some dynamics it’s at least on the same level as Ludwig’s original 1992 mastering of RATM which predates the loudness wars by a couple years.

The unfortunate thing is, Ludwig doesn’t cut lacquers in an all analogue chain anymore. While I keep my fingers crossed that perhaps Ludwig mastered the digital and they sent at least the first two album’ tapes to someone like Grundman (which happened with the recent Eric Clapton 45rpm Vinyl, Bob did the digital and Bernie cut and mastered the vinyl AAA) or Kevin Gray to master AND CUT from the tapes for the vinyl, it seems unlikely...which would be a shame given how receptive Adam Jones was to the notion of doing Undertow and AEnima AAA.

If the remastered catalogue is all done for vinyl by Bob then the high res downloads will be the source material, and while they sound good and thus so too will the vinyl, I can’t bring myself to pay extra for an additional step in the chain.

Not to take away from the excitement of the new album tho!

1 hour ago, dobyblue said:

Well the new high res remasters have been well taken care of, they’re not fully dynamic like the Hoffman SACD remaster of RATM’s debut which IMO is hands down the go to mastering of that excellent album, but while Undertow has lost some dynamics it’s at least on the same level as Ludwig’s original 1992 mastering of RATM which predates the loudness wars by a couple years.

The unfortunate thing is, Ludwig doesn’t cut lacquers in an all analogue chain anymore. While I keep my fingers crossed that perhaps Ludwig mastered the digital and they sent at least the first two album’ tapes to someone like Grundman (which happened with the recent Eric Clapton 45rpm Vinyl, Bob did the digital and Bernie cut and mastered the vinyl AAA) or Kevin Gray to master AND CUT from the tapes for the vinyl, it seems unlikely...which would be a shame given how receptive Adam Jones was to the notion of doing Undertow and AEnima AAA.

If the remastered catalogue is all done for vinyl by Bob then the high res downloads will be the source material, and while they sound good and thus so too will the vinyl, I can’t bring myself to pay extra for an additional step in the chain.

Not to take away from the excitement of the new album tho!

I mean, that's all well and good but for those of us living off of bootlegs I'm sure any new reissues will be just fine. 

1 minute ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Yeah, I'm not huge on the font, but whatever. Hopefully it sounds great. I really just want some quality reissues (i.e. Lateralus on black, Aenima that's affordable, 10,000 Days, etc). 

100%.  I’m not holding my breath for it but it’d be really cool if everything was released in a PO bundle on Wednesday.  I thought I read a rumor - to be taken very loosely - that the reissues wouldn’t be ready until 2020..  But then again... with the way pre-orders work these days, that still doesn’t eliminate a potential reissue PO this week, I guess.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

100%.  I’m not holding my breath for it but it’d be really cool if everything was released in a PO bundle on Wednesday.  I thought I read a rumor - to be taken very loosely - that the reissues wouldn’t be ready until 2020..  But then again... with the way pre-orders work these days, that still doesn’t eliminate a potential reissue PO this week, I guess.

One time I ordered a comp to help fund a documentary called A Fat Wreck. I believe it was 2014. Still waiting. The records currently exist, but the sleeves haven't been made. So, I guess I can wait till next year.