Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Just now, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I’ve been here for a year or so and I’ve never seen someone get the banhammer. Will today be the day? I sure hope so. 

Since we should bring it back around to Tool, I gotta say I’ve never really tried to get into them and I’ve been trying since Friday and I’m just sort of lost with all the material available. What’s regarded as their best work? I really dig the new song though and I PO’d that stupid ass CD

A lot of people cite Lateralus as their crown jewel but for a first-time listener, I always thought it’d be a little dense.  For me, Ænima is where it’s at.  Timeless production, incredibly bass-drum interplay, memorable interludes, and at least one guaranteed 10/10 moment on every (actual) song.  It’s really held up for me.

7 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I’ve been here for a year or so and I’ve never seen someone get the banhammer. Will today be the day? I sure hope so. 

Since we should bring it back around to Tool, I gotta say I’ve never really tried to get into them and I’ve been trying since Friday and I’m just sort of lost with all the material available. What’s regarded as their best work? I really dig the new song though and I PO’d that stupid ass CD

Agreed with Derek. Start with Ænima then Lateralus. Then you can decide where to go from there. Personally, I started with Undertow. So you could see the progression I went thru as Tool took over the Alt. Metal scene.

27 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

A lot of people cite Lateralus as their crown jewel but for a first-time listener, I always thought it’d be a little dense.  For me, Ænima is where it’s at.  Timeless production, incredibly bass-drum interplay, memorable interludes, and at least one guaranteed 10/10 moment on every (actual) song.  It’s really held up for me.

It's certainly their pinnacle of stylistic progression.  As for accessibility, Aenima wins out for sure.  

Being a long-time fan since the early 90s, Aenima was mind blowing when it came out.  But when Lateralus dropped, Tool had successfully one-upped themselves in every way. (for me).  

38 minutes ago, jhulud said:

FUCK THE MODS!!!

Sorry if thats what you got from my post, it wasn't what I intended.  Was more a statement that you guys seem pretty hands off, which is both good and bad.  I'm on boards where mods are way too hands on and that is often way worse than ones with a Laissez-faire attitude.  Just don't think anyone should expect this dumb new kid to get kicked when current members are already running with no leash.

Prove that you’re a good boy who won’t terrorize for fun or shit all over the boards, and the leash comes off.  Seems pretty simple to me.  That dude somehow retains negative rep, which suggests he’s been around for ages – back when karma was a thing – and hasn’t contributed anything helpful, humorous, entertaining, or otherwise worthwhile to read.  The leash is justified.  He should also get one of those giant neck cones while we’re at it.

4 minutes ago, museummouth said:

You know you’re a VC veteran when you remember “simple”

I found an ancient folder on an external HD, a couple of weeks ago, that holds a bunch of the really dumb Photoshop shit I whipped up for VC jokes.  Some of it goes way back; coming up on a decade now, more or less.  The Zay stuff still gets me.

10 hours ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

I'm lukewarm on the song, but am interested in hearing the full album to understand it in context. I just have to accept that this is what Tool sounds like post-Aenima. Sometimes it feels like their music is being written by AI... I just wish they would feed some songs from Undertow into the machine.

My thoughts exactly. Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus are distinctly different, even though I recall the lead singles for Aenima and Lateralus at the time having a familiar-sounding, "this sounds like a previous track" guitar riff. Same of course when "Vicarious" was released prior to 10,000 Days, but that album was the first to not feel like much of an evolution. 

10 hours ago, justin_cole12 said:

Love the new track! I think alot of people aren't going to love it because they are wanting 10,000 days part 2 but I wouldn't expect tool to do that.

I guess others have said it by this point, but I don't know anyone wishing for 10,000 Days part 2. I enjoyed the album when it came out but it was the first lukewarm Tool album for me.

9 hours ago, justin_cole12 said:

Rosetta Stoned is like the coolest song ever written. The story in that song is fascinating.

I haven't played the album in ages, but that was the highlight for me.

I find it really weird. I have not listened to "Fear Inoculum" yet. I've heard "Invincible" and "Descending" live in person and on some super high quality live bootlegs on YouTube. I think compositionally in terms of song structure, those two songs feels Lateralus-styled but progressed from that point of composition. It did not really feel like a continuation of 10,000 Days. Obviously each player has their own signature style but I think its doing oneself a great disservice to not attempt to look past the surface of the sound the band has and find the subtle uniqueness that each song builds using those same ingredients. If you half-listen to any of their songs waiting for a special guest to come in and do a hook and flip the whole dynamic of the core band on its head, you're listening to the wrong band. If you're looking for traditional tropes of a growing and changing artist or band that is led by a single songwriter who decides now we have a fiddle and an accordion on this track and then we have a piano leading these two tracks and we're ex-Beatles who are writing 3 minute pop songs, you're listening to the wrong band. These guys paint with the same brushes and explore how to make new textures using the same types of voices and the same exact instrumentation for the most part on every album. They go in a room and follow eachother's lead for a hours on end and construct "songs" using the parts they liked best from the improvised communications they share using essentially the same 3 to 4 instruments, the electric of which are generally dialed into to produce the same types of sounds as they've made for all the albums they've done together. They may progress in some ways on their own instruments but they have their established voices. If you're not coming to Tool with this realization and you don't find yourself interested in how they will paint the soundscape under these particular circumstantial/instrumental constants then I don't know why you would keep expecting to be wowed only to be let down. We all know how Tool writes. We know the process. We know the instruments. You have to be looking at their output from the standpoint of knowing the limitations of what's included.

Not mad. Just sayin'.