Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

48 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Sooooo...let me understand this. 

Dude walks in here and gives his honest & lengthy opinion & review of the song as a fan of the band, and people are giving him shit & calling him pretentious?!?! 

Get the fuck out of here with that shitty attitude. He’s a fan who loves the band & expressed his appreciation.  If you don’t like it, take your toxic bashing somewhere else. 

Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate. 

Toxic bashing? Damn, the threshold for toxicity is really low these days. Pretty sure real toxicity is slut shaming and personal attacks a la the AILD thread, or maybe JFC personally threatening people from this thread via PM... but hey maybe toxicity really IS sarcasm and snarky one-offs that fade into obscurity and from everyone's consciousness within an hour or two... Who knew you'd ever find sarcasm and snark on the internet?

It was totally a dick comment but the level of personal outrage is pretty funny, and this is from someone who thinks intentionally antagonizing online for the sole purpose of eliciting a reaction is fuckin' lame.

PS- I'm finding that I am quite indifferent to Tool, so asserting that I made an offhand comment because I am filled with hate for Tool/Tool fans is a logical fallacy. Not doing much to dispel those Tool fan stereotypes, though.

PPS- That shit WAS pretentious, just like his essay sig about how only black vinyl is good enough for his cultured, audiophile certified ears. Read his essay again. He wasn't even critiquing the song. Because within his first two sentences he says he didn't listen to it. But he did say this:

"If you half-listen to any of their songs waiting for a special guest to come in and do a hook and flip the whole dynamic of the core band on its head, you're listening to the wrong band. If you're looking for traditional tropes of a growing and changing artist or band that is led by a single songwriter who decides now we have a fiddle and an accordion on this track and then we have a piano leading these two tracks and we're ex-Beatles who are writing 3 minute pop songs, you're listening to the wrong band. These guys paint with the same brushes and explore how to make new textures using the same types of voices and the same exact instrumentation for the most part on every album."

...Nah you're right, there's no pretension there whatsoever. This dude has never talked down to anyone, I'm sure.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

You really got me figured out!

I think you just don't like people in general and get off on being a dickhead and don't like the people who call you out for it.

I actually used to like you on here believe it or not. Then I followed you on Instagram and your whole sad/notice me attitude made me want to go crawl in a hole and die. Do you actually enjoy life or are you attracted to the negativity? Talk about someone not adding anything to the boards. You are the definition of useless here.

Just now, justin_cole12 said:

You really got me figured out!

I think you just don't like people in general and get off on being a dickhead and don't like the people who call you out for it.

I actually used to like you on here believe it or not. Then I followed you on Instagram and your whole sad/notice me attitude made me want to go crawl in a hole and die. Do you actually enjoy life or are you attracted to the negativity? Talk about someone not adding anything to the boards. You are the definition of useless here.

The irony is palpable. I don’t think sunshine likes me much but dude is capable of taking barbs online, dishing them back out, AND is able to talk about music without launching into vitriolic personal attacks. That’s more than you can say.

1 minute ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

The irony is palpable. I don’t think sunshine likes me much but dude is capable of taking barbs online, dishing them back out, AND is able to talk about music without launching into vitriolic personal attacks. That’s more than you can say.

I literally treat everyone the same way, the difference between you and Justin though is he takes EVERYTHING to heart and keeps it there like a goddamn ex girlfriend. It doesn't help that he only posts in meme band threads i poke fun at so he assumes I'm one way only which isn't true at all.

4 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

The irony is palpable? Personal attacks? Did you not just read his last comment? How is what I'm doing any different than him?

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I literally treat everyone the same way, the difference between you and Justin though is he takes EVERYTHING to heart and keeps it there like a goddamn ex girlfriend. It doesn't help that he only posts in meme band threads i poke fun at so he assumes I'm one way only which isn't true at all.

But but he actually used to like you! Doesn’t that just tear you apart inside?

anyways since this IS a tool thread and I’m done crying about the internet meanies, I listened to Aenima and it was pretty cool but I’m not having the transcendental experiences others seem to have. I’m gonna give lateralus a whirl today.

maybe a couple tabs of lsd will get me there...

edit- hey Justin, two wrongs don’t make a right, but they definitely make you a fuckin asshole who went all in on personal attacks after someone said you didn’t add anything to discussions. 

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

See what I mean? "Meme band threads" You just won't get over the fact that music is subjective and people can like who they want. Sorry I don't dick ride everything that Nothing puts out.

Maybe I do take things too seriously sometimes. Who cares. I just don't like you and when this stuff I read has your handle attached to it I just can't help but say something.

Also, I do realize that what I said about Instagram and your personality was a bit far. I apologize for that...that's not usually who I am.

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

If anyone wants to follow my super sad insta hmu instagram.com/shunnedshine

Followed, I like fellow sad ppl.

Justin- Nothing is THE shit.  you don’t dick ride everything they put out cause your taste IS shit. Seems simple to me.

To be fair music is subjective but people are still really bad at consuming it.  There are a ton of meme bands discussed on VC and it’s just the nature of the beast.  You have every right to get hyped on an Early November record when you’re in your 40s but you gotta’ know that has its ramifications.

13 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

But but he actually used to like you! Doesn’t that just tear you apart inside?

anyways since this IS a tool thread and I’m done crying about the internet meanies, I listened to Aenima and it was pretty cool but I’m not having the transcendental experiences others seem to have. I’m gonna give lateralus a whirl today.

maybe a couple tabs of lsd will get me there...

edit- hey Justin, two wrongs don’t make a right, but they definitely make you a fuckin asshole who went all in on personal attacks after someone said you didn’t add anything to discussions. 

Heads up, Lateralus is supposed to be the far more “transcendental” album between the two.  If you were bleh about Ænima I can’t imagine that Lateralus will floor you, but you’re welcome to prove me wrong.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Heads up, Lateralus is supposed to be the far more “transcendental” album between the two.  If you were bleh about Ænima I can’t imagine that Lateralus will floor you, but you’re welcome to prove me wrong.

I’m hoping I do! I definitely enjoyed Aenima and there’s plenty of albums that took multiple listens to click with me, and went on to become some of my absolute favorite albums ever. Loveless was just noise to me once upon a time, after all!

I’m thinking these albums are probably part of that subset, these fuckers are dense so I can only imagine further listens will only allow them to really show themselves. Once I’m familiar with them enough I probably will throw a tab or two back and give them a go

To be fair music is subjective but people are still really bad at consuming it.  There are a ton of meme bands discussed on VC and it’s just the nature of the beast.  You have every right to get hyped on an Early November record when you’re in your 40s but you gotta’ know that has its ramifications.

I haven't even revealed whether or not I like Tool yet which says something if it's just assumed me being here is a dig on them haha. I think I'll keep it a mystery a while longer.

This is the last all add to this convo. The most hilarious part of this whole conversation is that Shelby and I have extremely similar tastes in music but I only take part in meme band threads.

And fuck you Derek! Ive always disliked the early november and I'm only 30.

47 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Toxic bashing? Damn, the threshold for toxicity is really low these days. Pretty sure real toxicity is slut shaming and personal attacks a la the AILD thread, or maybe JFC personally threatening people from this thread via PM... but hey maybe toxicity really IS sarcasm and snarky one-offs that fade into obscurity and from everyone's consciousness within an hour or two... Who knew you'd ever find sarcasm and snark on the internet?

It was totally a dick comment but the level of personal outrage is pretty funny, and this is from someone who thinks intentionally antagonizing online for the sole purpose of eliciting a reaction is fuckin' lame.

PS- I'm finding that I am quite indifferent to Tool, so asserting that I made an offhand comment because I am filled with hate for Tool/Tool fans is a logical fallacy. Not doing much to dispel those Tool fan stereotypes, though.

PPS- That shit WAS pretentious, just like his essay sig about how only black vinyl is good enough for his cultured, audiophile certified ears. Read his essay again. He wasn't even critiquing the song. Because within his first two sentences he says he didn't listen to it. But he did say this:

"If you half-listen to any of their songs waiting for a special guest to come in and do a hook and flip the whole dynamic of the core band on its head, you're listening to the wrong band. If you're looking for traditional tropes of a growing and changing artist or band that is led by a single songwriter who decides now we have a fiddle and an accordion on this track and then we have a piano leading these two tracks and we're ex-Beatles who are writing 3 minute pop songs, you're listening to the wrong band. These guys paint with the same brushes and explore how to make new textures using the same types of voices and the same exact instrumentation for the most part on every album."

...Nah you're right, there's no pretension there whatsoever. This dude has never talked down to anyone, I'm sure.

You have a real problem with me, man.

Re: bolded quotes. YOU need to read my "essay sig" again. If you're going to call out a mod for reading comprehension (admittedly, yes, he missed the part where I said I hadn't heard the song) at least make sure you have understood the reasons you chose for being offended by my existence and make sure you're outlining the horrible pretension of me with accuracy.

Remember, all I did was attempt to discuss (on a discussion forum) why people who ARE fans of Tool, might not be enjoying new Tool. Some Tool fans complained when 10,000 Days came out and now some Tool fans are complaining about this new material.

And please tell me how, in any way, I was talking down to anyone by posting what I posted. Seriously, please explain it to me.