Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Pretty sure a high resolution download will also be available on that date, given that's likely the master for everything else I will just purchase that and be done with it.

Also, I gave up quite quickly on 10,000 Days when it came out...rediscovering it this week via the new 24/96 remaster and I'm so much more into it now than I was back then. I really like the mix and the production also, sounds fantastic on my main HiFi.

Edited by dobyblue

1 hour ago, ntslash said:

$210? This must be the biggest rip-off record shop in the world. It's $37 on Amazon.

Not that it affects me but I'm curious to know what is up with the international pricing on this. It seems to be under $40 in the US at a lot of places. But UK shops like Amazon and Rough Trade are charging right around $100 US for it which makes me think that $120 in Australia may just be retail cost.

Edited by fish

35 minutes ago, fish said:

Not that it affects me but I'm curious to know what is up with the international pricing on this. It seems to be under $40 in the US at a lot of places. But UK shops like Amazon and Rough Trade are charging right around $100 US for it which makes me think that $120 in Australia may just be retail cost.

Is it still on Amazon? I don't see it.

9 minutes ago, mrdoctor said:

Sold out I believe. It was up for like a week. I managed to snag a copy for $55 shipped to the UK, current ETA 11-13 September.

The pricing model doesn't make a lot of sense, like @fish said.

Yeah, I ended up doing the same thing. Some places over here are charging £99.99 for it 😱

5 hours ago, fish said:

It's because Trump is winning the trade war! 

Not sure if this was shared already, my apologies if it has been, there’s a lot of junk on this thread.   

https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/weve-heard-tools-entire-new-album-fear-inoculum-this-is-what-it-sounds-like/

Edited by Velocity of Sound

Official track times are up from Apple.

1. Fear Inoculum...........................10:20

2. Pneuma.......................................11:53

3. Litanie contre la Peur...............2:14

4. Invincible....................................12:44

5. Legion Inoculant........................3:09

6. Descending...............................13:37

7. Culling Voices..........................10:05

8. Chocolate Chip Trip.................4:48

9. 7empest.....................................15:43

10. Mockingbeat............................2:05

I'm a huge nerd and get off on this type of info.

Edited by mcpherson123

4 hours ago, Plarocks said:

There WAS going to be a nice Classic Records 200 gram re-issue of Ænima right around 2000, but the company went out of business. 😣

Some test pressings were made: 

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-Ænima/release/4849890

I bought this a few years back and end up selling it for the same price.  Kept it sealed and never listened.   It was originally listed as only 20 existed, but I've seen these come up too frequently and made me suspicious.  

Classic didn't go out of business until @ 2010, they did the Peter Gabriel catalogue on 200g single-sided 45rpm Clarity Vinyl in 2009.

The reissue of AEnima just fell through, so probably someone from the label pulled the plug on it. The original vinyl of AEnima was prepared by Classic for Zoo (according to Discogs info on the Classic 200g test pressing) and was pressed at RTI so if you have an original, there's no sonic reason I'm aware of to seek out a Test Pressing. The TPs of the 200g will sound good because it appears Classic had quite a number of them done vs. the standard 5-10 copies for QC you'd typically see, but Classic did that a lot. Their TPs are legit, but certainly not limited to 10.

2 hours ago, dobyblue said:

Classic didn't go out of business until @ 2010, they did the Peter Gabriel catalogue on 200g single-sided 45rpm Clarity Vinyl in 2009.

The reissue of AEnima just fell through, so probably someone from the label pulled the plug on it. The original vinyl of AEnima was prepared by Classic for Zoo (according to Discogs info on the Classic 200g test pressing) and was pressed at RTI so if you have an original, there's no sonic reason I'm aware of to seek out a Test Pressing. The TPs of the 200g will sound good because it appears Classic had quite a number of them done vs. the standard 5-10 copies for QC you'd typically see, but Classic did that a lot. Their TPs are legit, but certainly not limited to 10.

I own both the classic record test and the 1st press and the classic records test press sounds better and is worth the extra money 

8 minutes ago, tape said:

Yeah, but why? Is it quieter? Mixed better? More dynamics? You'll find on this forum people just say things with no reason quite often. I doubt there will be more than one person that can even make this comparison here so it would be nice to have more info.

32 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Yeah, but why? Is it quieter? Mixed better? More dynamics? You'll find on this forum people just say things with no reason quite often. I doubt there will be more than one person that can even make this comparison here so it would be nice to have more info.

It's cut from the same lacquers so we know it's not possible to have a different mix or master and thus will not have different dynamics, likely the differences are either placebo effect or the original copy just happens to be a bad individual record which happens occasionally; for the VAST majority of people, they will be identical.

Edited by dobyblue

I can’t speak for a Mint 1st press so I can’t say weather it is quieter  but the vinyl is for sure thicker and anyone who has pressings from classic records knows how good they sound. It’s more dynamic for sure but not overwhelmingly. To me it’s worth the money and is the most dynamic way to listen to Aenima  

Edited by Saxonjulin

1 minute ago, Saxonjulin said:

I can’t speak for a Mint 1st press so I can’t say weather it is quieter  but the vinyl is for sure thicker and anyone who has pressings from classic records knows how good they sound. It’s more dynamic for sure but not overwhelmingly. To me it’s worth the money and is the most dynamic way to listen to Aenima  

Weight has nothing to do with sound, but there was only one master done by Bob Ludwig for all media so it literally cannot be "more dynamic" than any other version. Classic Records also prepared the inital pressing for Zoo, which is likely why it was also done at RTI (same as the 200g TPs)

Original 180g test from RTI -https://www.discogs.com/Tool-Ænima/release/7763661

5 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

Anyone else see why I asked now? Lol 

14 minutes ago, dobyblue said:

It's cut from the same lacquers so we know it's not possible to have a different mix or master and thus will not have different dynamics, likely the differences are either placebo effect or the original copy just happens to be a bad individual record which happens occasionally; for the VAST majority of people, they will be identical.

Thank you for this and your next post. The more ya know.