Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

51 minutes ago, Satan said:

You've been waiting since you were 8? 

🤔

Yes, I had the 10,000 days CD when it came out and was looking through the 3D lens almost every day for months to come, is it hard to believe an 8 year old listened to Tool? Especially when 14 years ago Tool actually got radio play where I live. (Los Angeles)

I just started really listening to Tool fairly recently. Not sure why it took so long for them to finally click with me, but I think this album is really good. For perspective (and to potentially disappoint the "die hards"), 10,000 Days is probably my favorite album of theirs.

Even the local record stores are posting that they can’t do preorders and what few copies they’re getting are “first come first serve” and no holds and show up early when they open and fight it out with other fans and you’re shit out of luck at the end of the day. 

Oh. Fuckin’. Well. 

1 minute ago, morfiend said:

Once the hype dies down I don't see this being very hard to track down, especially once the vinyl copies come out. Btw, you can currently get the 10,000 Days special edition CD for under $10 on discogs (near-mint at least) if that means anything lol.

Yeah but this one’s got an LED display the size of a business card, so...

3 minutes ago, morfiend said:

Once the hype dies down I don't see this being very hard to track down, especially once the vinyl copies come out. Btw, you can currently get the 10,000 Days special edition CD for under $10 on discogs (near-mint at least) if that means anything lol.

Last I checked, Amazon was still selling new copies of the special edition 10,000 Days CD for 10 bucks. I snagged one about a year ago. 

4 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Yes, I had the 10,000 days CD when it came out and was looking through the 3D lens almost every day for months to come, is it hard to believe an 8 year old listened to Tool? Especially when 14 years ago Tool actually got radio play where I live. (Los Angeles)

So. At 8, you probably can count to 50., 75 if you're lucky.

You were actively pleading to your parents that you want another tool album?

Just trying to set the record straight. 

That wouldve been "Now That's What I Call Music vol 26" 

Sure you dont have this twisted around?

32 minutes ago, Satan said:

At 8 I was telling my parents what a Googolplex was. At 8, my first born was telling me that a Googolplex is no longer the biggest defined number and it’s now a googolplexian.

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Why the fuck do I have to prove to you what I did at 8 years old, this fucken board sometimes, I swear.

2 hours ago, morfiend said:

2 hours ago, ntslash said:

Last I checked, Amazon was still selling new copies of the special edition 10,000 Days CD for 10 bucks. I snagged one about a year ago. 

That's because there was no special edition – to my knowledge they all had that clunky packaging with lenses, and it was never said to be a limited release. Of course that doesn't mean it wouldn't have gone out of print at some point. Same has been said for this one, right? It's the only version of the CD they're planning to release? Pretty nuts though, to not make a more standard version without LED screen. But I guess CD sales aren't as high as they were in 2006.

I don't know guys. I was listening to Faith No More, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine and Nine Inch Nails when I was between 8 and 10. Of course most of those bands had landmark albums come to incredible popularity between those years of my life. Not sure why people are struggling with this so much.

To me it is really about what you are personally getting out of the music, and how you comprehend what you are listening to. And that is going to be completely different between someone who is 8 vs teenage years >.  So I don't question that anyone was technically listening to anything at a certain age (My kid had heard plenty of Throbbing Gristle by the time he was 5). But it is not like and 8 year old is hearing any of those bands and understands at all what they or their music are about. Nor are they walking into their local mall cd store and grabbing the latest RATM or NIN's TDS off the shelf themselves with their hard earned cash. At that age most of what people hear is really either parental/sibling based, or just what gets played on the radio and is readily accessible. I can see how someone who has a connection to a band or a certain song for a million happy/sad/angry or other emotional reasons based on personal experiences could get frustrated at a person saying that "I loved tool when I was 8".  Yes you did love Tool at 8. I totally believe that. But it's an 8 year old way of loving it. Which is fine and perfectly normal.