Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

26 minutes ago, fish said:

To me it is really about what you are personally getting out of the music, and how you comprehend what you are listening to. And that is going to be completely different between someone who is 8 vs teenage years >.  So I don't question that anyone was technically listening to anything at a certain age (My kid had heard plenty of Throbbing Gristle by the time he was 5). But it is not like and 8 year old is hearing any of those bands and understands at all what they or their music are about. Nor are they walking into their local mall cd store and grabbing the latest RATM or NIN's TDS off the shelf themselves with their hard earned cash. At that age most of what people hear is really either parental/sibling based, or just what gets played on the radio and is readily accessible. I can see how someone who has a connection to a band or a certain song for a million happy/sad/angry or other emotional reasons based on personal experiences could get frustrated at a person saying that "I loved tool when I was 8".  Yes you did love Tool at 8. I totally believe that. But it's an 8 year old way of loving it. Which is fine and perfectly normal.

I don't really agree with that separation in the ways that a person is "able" to appreciate music and how it qualifies for someone being able to say they listened to a certain band at an early age. I can still remember being inhabited by the same feelings as I was when listening back to that music now. I didn't necessarily understand anything more or less profoundly at that time about certain songs as I do now. I think that is a weird way to qualify the nature of musical enjoyment in one age range to another. For the most part, people are getting a physical reaction to music at any age. In its most primal form the music is going to make a person respond with rhythmic sympathy in the form of toe tapping or hand drumming the nearest surface or something of that nature. I don't think I was expected to understand the depth of Layne Stealy's heroin addiction as expressed either blatantly or cryptically through his lyrics nor did I need to have a complex understanding of the melodic harmonies of the bass and guitar to know that when I heard "Them Bones" I was fucking down with it.

I didn't pay for all the CD's that me and my friends were listening to. They mostly got them from their older brother. I bought some. My parents bought me some. They bought some. I feel confident that none of that made me feel any differently about the music.

Edited by mcpherson123

Also, is this the first instance of an actual vinyl edition being advertised as existing on the whole net?

https://www.merchbar.com/hard-rock-metal/tool/fear-inoculum-lp-vinyl-record

No price but the tracklist implies the segues are left out. Could be an error. I wonder how they'll handle it.

I've done the time math and you can easily fit the entire album including segues onto a 2xLP. I think we saw someone claim that this is meant to be a 4xLP but I don't see that as being necessary.

Edited by mcpherson123

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I've done the time math and you can easily fit the entire album including segues onto a 2xLP. I think we saw someone claim that this is meant to be a 4xLP but I don't see that as being necessary.

Think 2xLP would be too much of a squeeze but 3xLP is easily enough, certainly no more though

9 minutes ago, craigeduk said:

Think 2xLP would be too much of a squeeze but 3xLP is easily enough, certainly no more though

I mean, you could consider it too much of a squeeze but the longest side in my estimate would be the same exact length as the B-side of Dark Side of The Moon and I've never heard a bad sounding copy of that.

Side. 😋

27 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

bumping the old thread since the new thread got locked instead of just permabanning the obvious one single user who is the problem.

26 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Don't go making sense in a TOOL thread!

Here’s the best part, for me: the stem of the problem is so obvious.  The culprit is so obvious.  The solution is so obvious.  So why is it being handled so poorly?  On several occasions I’ve read posts where the staff self-deprecates themselves, stating that moderating is a thankless job and how everyone else just shits on them.  While I completely agree with the first half of that sentiment, the second part is tough to sympathize with.  Shitty decisions (or lack of decisions) will warrant a negative reaction from the community.  Smoke, fire, etc.

If a toxic troll is very obviously bent on derailing a thread and abusing the feedback / trade system on a forum, that should be an instant ban.  Not a timeout.  Not a slap on the wrist.  That should be a straight-up boot.  But far be it from me to voice how I think the mods should do their jobs – the “timeout” system is used at their discretion, so that’s fine.

My qualm comes from this same offender diving straight back into the same shitty behavior the moment they’re able to do so, and nothing being done about it.  Despite tagging appropriate moderators to the issue, myself and others still have negative feedback that hasn’t been amended.  I know that natural disasters – or the threat of them – have impacted some of the staff on the boards over the last few days.  So, yeah; seeking shelter or preparing for the worst definitely takes priority over sorting out VC hooligans.  But it seems like things have mostly subsided and as far as I can tell, we’re still stuck in the same boat?  Correct me if I’m wrong.

When the obvious bad apple is threatening to spoil the whole barrel, it makes sense to reach in there and chuck it out.  Not seal the barrel and deprive the rest of the community from participating in a discussion.  This is where the “lol mods suck” memes sprout from, and will probably continue to do so until less questionable decisions are made.

15 minutes ago, Rip said:

My theory: that troll account is another account made by one of the mods to see how well we as a community deal with said trolls.  Almost like a “secret shopper” kind of thing.

We’ve all failed.  VC will be shut down by tomorrow.

Undercover Boss: VC edition?  I’d watch.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Undercover Boss: VC edition?  I’d watch.

End of the episode when Juan or Rambo surprise us:

”So you mentioned to me that you weren’t happy about the new Tool album not having an Urban Outfitters variant.  Well I’ve spoken to UO’s management and we’re going to get you that variant.”

*cries harder than I’ve ever cried in my life*

I’ve never seen anyone so hellbent on getting a single thread locked.  It’s actually kind of embarrassing.  I know it’s the norm to rag on Tool in 2019 but I think there’s something that goes a lot deeper here.  Like maybe his parents split up at a young age and his step-dad would sexually abuse him to Undertow for years on end, so now he’s on some bizarre crusade to thwart the band and restore his long-lost masculinity?  I don’t know.  Either way: seek help.

1 hour ago, freedumb said:

Looks like there are 3 variants to the CD cover.  Anyone know if anything other than the cover is different (e.g., video)?

Only Tool would do this.  I’ve read that there may or may not be some sort of hidden shenanigans within the booklet and packaging design, too.  Would be kind of shit if you had to track down all 3 variants and arrange their booklets a certain way or something, but I could see it.

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Only Tool would do this.  I’ve read that there may or may not be some sort of hidden shenanigans within the booklet and packaging design, too.  Would be kind of shit if you had to track down all 3 variants and arrange their booklets a certain way or something, but I could see it.

I saw something on reddit that mentioned 4 variants not just 3! 

I know it will, sadly, deprive him of his existence but you can literally sign up for an e-mail notification at Merch Bar to be contacted when vinyl pre-orders go live.  Not saying that they’ll be the only retailer, but it gives you a good idea of when copies will legitimately go up for sale, which means that Joey can finally stop spamming fake links and focus on more productive activities, like playing hopscotch in oncoming traffic.

I've been a little busy prepping for a hurricane that is barreling my way. But it's OK...let me stop what I'm doing and see I can do for everyone here.

Let's be out in the open. What would you like to see happen with the offenders?

Also...who has unwarranted negative feedback that needs to be removed due to this nonsense?

18 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I've been a little busy prepping for a hurricane that is barreling my way. But it's OK...let me stop what I'm doing and see I can do for everyone here.

Also...who has unwarranted negative feedback that needs to be removed due to this nonsense?

I’ll be open about it. If someone is bothering someone else, the person being bothered should block the individual doing the bothering and report it to the mods. End of story.  Encouraging further bothering by repeatedly responding in threads, calling names, and then crying victim is ridiculous and is just as responsible for thread derailing and closures as the alleged bothering. 

I want ant to say more, but I don’t think I need to. 

52 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Take your time an be safe. It's really not that big of a deal. I've just started ignoring it anyway. Hopefully my "potty mouth" doesn't discourage a seller lol.