Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

I love this album. I wasn't expecting that, but I keep finding myself getting sucked in and wanting more. I always liked Tool, but never have I been this smitten by one of their releases.

I was kind of shocked when I saw a few posts back saying how much this is a guitar album and then noting the killer riffs. To my ears, this album is all Danny and Maynard. The guitar/bass on this album sounds pretty stock-Tool to me. So much in fact that they seem to be serving the band as a rhythm section on this album, laying down the thing that is fundamentally them. What stands out as removed from past records are Danny's percussive compositions and Maynard's vocal melodies. I love that Maynard stays restrained throughout this entire album, and his melodies are the most interesting I've heard him do. Pneuma is my favorite song, and 7empest is probably my least favorite (the vocals stand out as older Tool).

I was originally annoyed that CD, and potentially vinyl versions of the album, didn't have all the intended music, but after listening to the segues, I feel a lot more meh about it. Aside from Legion, they're all pretty throw-away. I don't enjoy Chocolate Chip either (it's just masturbating at a drum kit). I made a playlist to listen to enjoy the album in this order:

1. Fear Inoculum
  2. Pneuma
  3. Invincible
  4. Legion Inoculant
  5. Descending
  6. Culling Voices
  7. 7empest

At this point, if we're going to rank albums, I'd probably go with the following:

1. Fear Inoculum
  2. AEnima
  3. Undertow
  4. Lateralus
  5. 10,000 Days

I look forward to your hate mail.

Edited by throwgncpr

5 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

I love this album. I wasn't expecting that, but I keep finding myself getting sucked in and wanting more. I always liked Tool, but never have I been this smitten by one of their releases.

I was kind of shocked when I saw a few posts back saying how much this is a guitar album and then noting the killer riffs. To my ears, this album is all Danny and Maynard. The guitar/bass on this album sounds pretty stock-Tool to me. So much in fact that they seem to be serving the band as a rhythm section on this album, laying down the thing that is fundamentally them. What stands out as removed from past records are Danny's percussive compositions and Maynard's vocal melodies. I love that Maynard stays restrained throughout this entire album, and his melodies are the most interesting I've heard him do. Pneuma is my favorite song, and 7empest is probably my least favorite (the vocals stand out as older Tool).

I was originally annoyed that CD, and potentially vinyl versions of the album, didn't have all the intended music, but after listening to the segues, I feel a lot more meh about it. Aside from Legion, they're all pretty throw-away. I don't enjoy Chocolate Chip either (it's just masturbating at a drum kit). I made a playlist to listen to enjoy the album in this order:

1. Fear Inoculum
  2. Pneuma
  3. Invincible
  4. Legion Inoculant
  5. Descending
  6. Culling Voices
  7. 7empest

At this point, if we're going to rank albums, I'd probably go with the following:

1. Fear Inoculum
  2. AEnima
  3. Undertow
  4. Lateralus
  5. 10,000 Days

I look forward to your hate mail.

I think the fact that this album is so new is making me feel as though its creeping into my #1 spot if for no other reasons than: 1. the fact that it is definitely Tool and not a letdown and  2. because the other albums are so fucking heavily worn out on my ears that I almost can't bring myself to spin them all the way through these days. I mean, I fucking pounded every LP of theirs into and all over my brain. Like, I can't believe how many hours of repetition each of them has had on my ears when I think about how little time I actually have these days to just spin full albums. The prior albums are freaking tattooed on my memory. So yeah, the fact that FI is definitively emblematic of this band's unique sound and actually totally rips shit apart at the same time, is reason enough to make it slip into #1. 

Chocolate Chip Trip is pretty much the weakest link for me as its not really much of a song and I am a drum solo enthusiast. This thing just doesn't quite move me in context of the album. I'd take Faaip de Oiad over this if we had to compare even remotely similar pieces. And as far as the segues are concerned, Mockingbeat is the only one that feels pretty useless and gives me nearly no enjoyment. The others are actually pretty legit in context of the album. 

While I've always liked Tool, they've never been a favorite. When I first heard them as a kid I was mostly into much heavier stuff, and Tool's edgy image didn't seem to match their more melodic sound. My friends were obsessed with them though so I became pretty familiar with the first couple records. The first album that I actually got into was Lateralus, which would probably still be my pick as their best work. I went back and picked up my own copies of Undertow and Aenima a few years later. Those are both really good, but to my ears Undertow sounds a bit dated at this point, while Aenima comes off as front-loaded, I find the second half of that record irritating and not all that interesting. 10,000 Days has songs I enjoy but as a whole I never loved it. Fear Inoculum zeroes in on my favorite aspects of the band, which is the interplay between the four members and the unique sound they produce. I love the drawn out, chugging pace, which was a very pleasant surprise and mentally I was able to lock into the flow of the record immediately. What many people find long-winded or boring for some reason made this album more accessible to me. I'm not someone who usually gives lyrics much thought, but I think Pneuma in particular is poignant. Of course there's nothing mind-blowing about the whole "we are one" cliche, but I like the nuanced way the song points to something inherently good in the fiber of humanity which is too often crushed or neglected. I've listened through the album about ten times or so, and I do think it's missing  something.  Most of the songs just feel like there's another gear the band could have found to really hit them out of the park compositionally. There's a sense of calculated restraint that defines the whole record, and it's amazing in its own way, but it could have been great to have a few moments where that becomes totally unhinged. Some kind of unexpected element integrated in some clever way would have made this stronger as a whole... in that regard the interludes are a bit of a missed opportunity, though I don't dislike them. All in all I'm still enjoying this album immensely.

30 minutes ago, jhulud said:

That’s pretty pricey. Then again, isn’t FYE usually pricier than most? 

FYE can be more expensive which i think is why they always have discounts going on. But $46 is still better than the $100+ on ebay/discogs. Wal Mart had it for $36 which was the cheapest i saw anywhere. Was $45 at my local indie shop.

Edited by fish

I just ordered from the FYE link so thank you very much to @fish for that. All I can say is this vinyl edition had better be basic as fuck. No picture disc, normal ass gatefold or even single pocket and stay at $30 or less. The only "Deluxe" aspect I would like to see from it is if the CD booklet were re-created in an 11x11" or 12x12" format.

16 minutes ago, fish said:

The Tool Army presale was only for the $500 VIP packages from what I read. Are other presales going on?

Doesn’t look like they allowed Ticketmaster to do their usual Citi card presales, I’ll assume any other ticketing service used also isn’t allowing any presales.

That VIP presale sounded like a bloodbath, which is nuts to me. I’ll spend a decent amount on a ticket but $500 is wild.

16 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Doesn’t look like they allowed Ticketmaster to do their usual Citi card presales, I’ll assume any other ticketing service used also isn’t allowing any presales.

That VIP presale sounded like a bloodbath, which is nuts to me. I’ll spend a decent amount on a ticket but $500 is wild.

It included a photo with band members tho, didn’t it? Probably worth it to the hardcore fans.

Fuck. FI is creeping up in the ranks again...🧰💉🥴

I'm getting that feeling that I get everytime a new TOOL album is released. That "this my favorite TOOL album", feeling... I know, it'll prolly go away the same way my 10k feeling gradually fell away...

I do have a small complaint which I think is a bit irrational, but I feel as though this album is missing one more song. This is an extremely long album I understand, but the music doesn't feel that way. Before I know it, an entire hour and a half is passed by and I'm left feeling like it needs another! Is that off the wall?

I have a theory on the structure and sounds (including length) of the album. TOOL is undoubtedly a live band. This album feels like they created an album that will play well in their sets. This was strategically thought out for their live shows, IMO. There's no aggressiveness to this album, they already have that in their shows. Maynard does not need to scream or shout incessantly because he does that for many other songs they have in their lineup. Adam Justin and Danny love to just jam during their shows. This way at least their jamming are actual songs. The composition matches that live feeling IMO. It's almost as if these are tension building songs for their stronger more aggressive songs.

13 hours ago, bjorn said:

I've listened through the album about ten times or so, and I do think it's missing  something.  Most of the songs just feel like there's another gear the band could have found to really hit them out of the park compositionally. There's a sense of calculated restraint that defines the whole record, and it's amazing in its own way, but it could have been great to have a few moments where that becomes totally unhinged. Some kind of unexpected element integrated in some clever way would have made this stronger as a whole... in that regard the interludes are a bit of a missed opportunity, though I don't dislike them. All in all I'm still enjoying this album immensely.

Well said. 

for those looking

https://store.toolband.com/collections/all/products/tool-fear-inoculum-limited-edition-cd-package

I really don't understand any of what they have been doing.  They don't press nearly enough deluxe cds for the demand, or have any vinyl ready when the demand for it is huge.  And now they are doing a 1 day only preorder for 2nd pressing? They had 13 years to figure this all out. Seems like someone dropped the ball on this.

Edited by fish

17 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Just put up a pre-order for another run of the CDs! Lasts only today. (Also international is sold out)

It’s not sold out, this is a US preorder today. International is tomorrow so read the Facebook post carefully.

Edited by morfiend

Limit 4 per order? I don't know why anyone needs 4 other than to flip. They should limit to 2 honestly - just enough to grab one as a gift or for a friend without access if anything.  Still can't bring myself to pull the trigger, because I sold all my CDs several years ago. I have two left, basically, plus a Wax Trax Black Box in the original metal case. Couple of strays in my car. If I got it, it would be strictly for collector purposes and I'd probably leave it sealed. So probably just for greed.