Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

37 minutes ago, fish said:

https://store.toolband.com/collections/all/products/tool-fear-inoculum-limited-edition-cd-package for those looking.

I really don't understand any of what they have been doing.  They don't press nearly enough deluxe cds for the demand, or have any vinyl ready when the demand for it is huge.  And now they are doing a 1 day only preorder for 2nd pressing? They had 13 years to figure this all out. Seems like someone dropped the ball on this.

100%. Perfectly articulated just what I was thinking. This isn't their first rodeo. What gives?

1 hour ago, jeromium said:

Limit 4 per order? I don't know why anyone needs 4 other than to flip. They should limit to 2 honestly - just enough to grab one as a gift or for a friend without access if anything.  Still can't bring myself to pull the trigger, because I sold all my CDs several years ago. I have two left, basically, plus a Wax Trax Black Box in the original metal case. Couple of strays in my car. If I got it, it would be strictly for collector purposes and I'd probably leave it sealed. So probably just for greed. 

There is currently three variants. I personally have 2 and need the third. This was really awesome of toolband.com!!!

Buying those (crazy expensive) concert tickets was a goddamn nightmare. Every set I clicked on was "already sold" until I switched from CT to Brooklyn venues. Finally scored two seats (closer to the ceiling than the stage) for a total of $232. Phew. Most I've ever spent on a concert. And I've (double) Coheed VIPed before.

Of course all the seats I tried to buy were readily available on Stub Hub for like $600. 

38 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Buying those (crazy expensive) concert tickets was a goddamn nightmare. Every set I clicked on was "already sold" until I switched from CT to Brooklyn venues. Finally scored two seats (closer to the ceiling than the stage) for a total of $232. Phew. Most I've ever spent on a concert. And I've (double) Coheed VIPed before.

Of course all the seats I tried to buy were readily available on Stub Hub for like $600. 

There is literally a direct channel from Ticketmaster to all third party ticker resell websites. They're just a faction of the point of sale seller now. Its complete and thorough corruption at this point and there's no alternative for the consumer. Just got to be one of those lucky few who get a ticket for face value. I'm waiting in a queue right now. If two tickets cost more than $200 after fees and lies and cons I might have to sit this tour out. It will be the first tour I won't have seen since 2001.

Managed to get singles for both NJ and Brooklyn (~$190 each), but boy is that queue system a mess, especially on mobile. Desktop was alright, but I was constantly knocked back out on mobile when the selected tickets had already been taken. Very nostalgic for the days of either lining up, calling in, or just no goddamn queue system and being able to select “best available”.

Clearly all these ridiculous measures don’t curtail secondary sales. I would love for artists to start seriously pushing back on the Live Nation/TM situation. 

I also got a ridiculously high up seat for somewhere around $120 after fees after getting kicked out of any other seat I would have preferred. Didn’t help that I’m going solo so if two seats were left in a section they wouldn’t let me get one, had to find somewhere with 3+ seats next to each other available.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

There is literally a direct channel from Ticketmaster to all third party ticker resell websites. They're just a faction of the point of sale seller now. Its complete and thorough corruption at this point and there's no alternative for the consumer. Just got to be one of those lucky few who get a ticket for face value. I'm waiting in a queue right now. If two tickets cost more than $200 after fees and lies and cons I might have to sit this tour out. It will be the first tour I won't have seen since 2001.

This guy has it all figured out.

Edited by JOEYBUCKETS

6 minutes ago, JOEYBUCKETS said:

NOW WE WILL GO FROM COMPLAINING ABOUT THE VINYL/CD TO TICKETS, AND TICKETMASTER SYSTEMS. ITS 2019 GUYS GET WITH IT! UGH THIS THREAD IS PAINFUL!

To be fair, ticketing for the last 10 years has been a complete shit show and has benefited only scalpers so it has always warranted complaints. Plus ticket prices are fucking insane at face value now too. Greedy cunt fuck promoters.

13 minutes ago, djghost1976 said:

Yeah, only resale tickets available for the LA shows when they went on sale today.  I'm good - saw them with Primus a couple years ago.  And yeah, Ticketmaster is shady as fuck. 

Yeah. Like right now, on the day of the first on-sale date, within 2 hours of the on-sale time, STUBHUB has between 5 and 140 tickets per section ALL AT INFLATED PRICES from the face value charged on TicketScalpster, in roughly EVERY single section of the venue for the Chicago date.

While the original sale site has between 0 and 5 seats listed in only some sections and everytime you attempted to claim a seat, you get a message saying "Sorry! Another fan has done some magical bullshit that you can't do and fuck yourself and go die in a hole somewhere or pay more fucking money to our buddies who have all the fucking tickets you losing cunt. We hate you and can't wait to see you die."

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on.

Edited by mcpherson123

If I had $1 for every show I decided to not go to because of Ticketmaster/LiveNation fees I'd be able to sit anywhere at a Tool show. The only good thing I can say about LiveNation is they gave me free Slipknot tickets last weekend for no reason. I didn't buy any food or drinks, didn't use venue parking, didn't give them a cent. They're rotten to the core.

31 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

While the original sale site has between 0 and 5 seats listed in only some sections and everytime you attempted to claim a seat, you get a message saying "Sorry! Another fan has done some magical bullshit that you can't do and fuck yourself and go die in a hole somewhere or pay more fucking money to our buddies who have all the fucking tickets you losing cunt. We hate you and can't wait to see you die."

That's the message I repeatedly got. I tried about 20 times, clicking on different seats. I eventually said fuck it and gave up. As much as I would like to see Tool, they're not worth that much time and aggravation. 

44 minutes ago, Billich0986 said:

That's the message I repeatedly got. I tried about 20 times, clicking on different seats. I eventually said fuck it and gave up. As much as I would like to see Tool, they're not worth that much time and aggravation. 

Just buy on stubhub later.  I went to the SF shows last time around for half price that way.

StubHub is actually scalpers though, not necessarily TicketBastard moving tickets as they own TicketsNow while StubHub and eBay are partners.

TicketMaster makes their money with "Platinum Tickets" and you know they can very likely move tickets as "reseller" tickets without anyone being the wiser. Most people are probably not going to buy $500 tickets thinking they can scalp them for a tonne of money, most of the tickets on StubHub are higher and lower bowls not the expensive front floors. They've made their money already.

I just counted 1042 tickets on StubHub for the Detroit show, capacity is 15,083 for concerts. So they have 6.9% of the tickets on there.

They could help by making all lower bowl seats and floors CC-only entry. Then you can't scalp them outside of NY state where the laws are very pro-scalper and require paper options be made available.

Trent Reznor made a good post about it in 2009 ahead of the fantastic NIN/JA tour, the old NIN site's forums are gone but his post is archived in several places like this one - http://www.brooklynvegan.com/trent-reznor-th/

The attorney general in NY had a scathing report come out about the current state, really good but infuriating read - https://ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Ticket_Sales_Report.pdf

3 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Tried to get 3 tickets.  After being told another fan grabbed the selected seats for about 10 minutes I finally landed 3 tickets.  Then I saw the total was $430 and ducked out.

I imagine I'll be able to grab similar seats the day of for about the same price, if not better in one of those regards (better seats or better price).  If not, eh, oh well.