Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

2 hours ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

That Kalamazoo show was the second time I ever saw Tool and it was fucking unreal.  That bootleg is the best sounding live Tool I've ever heard.

That must have been beyond amazing I'm sure. I listened to that show three times last night. To have been there would have been super crazy.

9 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Got the show from Feb 98 in Fitchburg MA? That was my first Tool show. The Melvins opened.

I do have this show. I am headed to work, when I get home this afternoon I will have my Dropbox set up and then drop the links. I think the files are converted to wav.  but I'll get you the show, or at least what I have when I get off around 3-4pm. 

1 minute ago, My Big 12" said:

I do have this show. I am headed to work, when I get home this afternoon I will have my Dropbox set up and then drop the links. I think the files are converted to wav.  but I'll get you the show, or at least what I have when I get off around 3-4pm. 

Sounds great! Thanks for the time and effort

On 5/22/2016 at 9:20 PM, My Big 12" said:

Hey all! It has been a bit of time past since I have posted, but I love this thread. I just purchased this lot of Tool Lp's.

I know it's a hit and miss affair with 10,000 Days and Ænima, I am more confident about the quality of the Lollapalooza disc but I am taking a plunge. Here are the Discog listings for what I bought. Any informed opinions on the first two are greatly appreciated. 

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-%C3%86nima/release/2434710

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-10000-Days/release/2324248

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-Lollapalooza/release/3479755

I've heard a rip of the 10,000 days.  Not bad but definitely a bootleg.

I have owned a real Ænima and a boot.  The boot sucked.  Kept 24/96 needledrops of the original, but not the boot.

I'm curious how people like the Lollapalooza boot?   I have cd flac of it and it sounds ace, does the vinyl boot sound any better?  Is the bootleg the edited audio?

5 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

I've heard a rip of the 10,000 days.  Not bad but definitely a bootleg.

I have owned a real Ænima and a boot.  The boot sucked.  Kept 24/96 needledrops of the original, but not the boot.

I'm curious how people like the Lollapalooza boot?   I have cd flac of it and it sounds ace, does the vinyl boot sound any better?  Is the bootleg the edited audio?

I have the Lollapalooza in flac files, and it sounds great! Thats why I grabbed the vinyl. It has had very good reviews, at least what I have read.

Edited by My Big 12"

My Ænima  and 10,000 Days boots came in today from Discogs. I have listened to Ænima  all the way through and found it to far better than I expected in the sound department. I have the translucent gold version. I listen on and through a Technics SL-L20 Linear Tracking TT and an Onkyo tuner/amp and two vintage Pioneer HPM-60's. The HPM-60's lean heavy in the bottom end, so along with a small tweek on the Onkyo tone control, it seemed to balance out quite nicely indeed. Ænima is also very crankable I might add.  I bought them, $41.99 for 10,000 Days and $39.99 for Ænima. The seller is https://www.discogs.com/user/apextheory and he/she packs them for shipping better than any distributor.

I am on side 3 of 10,000 Days blue/marble and this one may be a wee tad brighter, but it is quite a powerful digital transfer to vinyl, and a very nice listen as well. In the end I think both of these pressings are worth the money. Both came flat, look marvelous outside of the very bootlegged artwork and sloppyassed labels on Ænima. The vinyl was noise free for Ænima, and just a click or two thus far on 10,000 Days which I immediately stopped and re-cleaned the side removing the offending debris on those passages. No, they aren't original all analog,if that was ever possible in the first place outside of the first two albums, but I think they are pretty damn sweet, and I'm proud to own them until such a day comes these are ever repressed and pressed proper. I will recommend both of these for those thinking about buying, I am enjoying the F**K out of them. Great bottom end through my modest system and terrific punch! NEXT: Lollapalooza arriving after the holiday. Pics below...

10000%20Days%20BlueMarble_zpsgfqwv8ot.jp10000%20Days%20Cover_zpsxlylbhmg.jpgAenima%20Gold%20Vinyl%20Cover_zpsxquzo4kIMG_5367_zpsfc1x21zk.jpg

Edited by My Big 12"

13 minutes ago, rickydenim said:

I have the 10,000 days boot in red and the pressing is horribly noisy. The audio itself sounds quite good when it IS quite however totally ruined by near constant noise. Might try find a blue then!

I was quite surprised to be honest. I was definitely not expecting them to sound as good as they do, and be as noise free for my tastes. Very happy here..

Edited by My Big 12"

On 5/28/2016 at 4:07 PM, My Big 12" said:

My Ænima  and 10,000 Days boots came in today from Discogs. I have listened to Ænima  all the way through and found it to far better than I expected in the sound department. I have the translucent gold version. I listen on and through a Technics SL-L20 Linear Tracking TT and an Onkyo tuner/amp and two vintage Pioneer HPM-60's. The HPM-60's lean heavy in the bottom end, so along with a small tweek on the Onkyo tone control, it seemed to balance out quite nicely indeed. Ænima is also very crankable I might add.  I bought them, $41.99 for 10,000 Days and $39.99 for Ænima. The seller is https://www.discogs.com/user/apextheory and he/she packs them for shipping better than any distributor.

I am on side 3 of 10,000 Days blue/marble and this one may be a wee tad brighter, but it is quite a powerful digital transfer to vinyl, and a very nice listen as well. In the end I think both of these pressings are worth the money. Both came flat, look marvelous outside of the very bootlegged artwork and sloppyassed labels on Ænima. The vinyl was noise free for Ænima, and just a click or two thus far on 10,000 Days which I immediately stopped and re-cleaned the side removing the offending debris on those passages. No, they aren't original all analog,if that was ever possible in the first place outside of the first two albums, but I think they are pretty damn sweet, and I'm proud to own them until such a day comes these are ever repressed and pressed proper. I will recommend both of these for those thinking about buying, I am enjoying the F**K out of them. Great bottom end through my modest system and terrific punch! NEXT: Lollapalooza arriving after the holiday. Pics below...

10000%20Days%20BlueMarble_zpsgfqwv8ot.jp10000%20Days%20Cover_zpsxlylbhmg.jpgAenima%20Gold%20Vinyl%20Cover_zpsxquzo4kIMG_5367_zpsfc1x21zk.jpg

That's a great price on the AEnima boot, I got that one at my local for like $50? $55? And 10,000 Days was $45 I believe. I'm with you, they're not perfect, but they will do. 

43 minutes ago, negavinyl said:

That's a great price on the AEnima boot, I got that one at my local for like $50? $55? And 10,000 Days was $45 I believe. I'm with you, they're not perfect, but they will do. 

The price was nice, at least for me and I have waited for at least since 2008 to pull the trigger on any Tool vinyl bootlegs. Thanks largely to this thread, I wound up making a pretty decent choice in pressings. I also noticed that Lp 1 of AEnima was slightly less weighty that Lp 2, which felt very much like it was 180g. No big whoop, but another small anomaly I noticed.  

5 hours ago, My Big 12" said:

The price was nice, at least for me and I have waited for at least since 2008 to pull the trigger on any Tool vinyl bootlegs. Thanks largely to this thread, I wound up making a pretty decent choice in pressings. I also noticed that Lp 1 of AEnima was slightly less weighty that Lp 2, which felt very much like it was 180g. No big whoop, but another small anomaly I noticed.  

The 2nd LP of my AEnima boot had some pretty gnarly surface noise that completely ruined it, which sucked cause listening to the first LP I thought, yeah, this was money well spent and then was gutted by how terrible the 2nd LP sounded. Took it back to my shop and they swapped just that LP out for me with the last copy they had in the back. We tested it and that one plays and sounds fine. So definitely a wide variety of experiences to be had with unofficial products like these, but I also have that gold translucent pressing and would recommend it as well. 

I have whats most likely the best sounding concert boot of TOOL from 2016 in .wav file If anyone is interested I will be happy to share.

Tool Live. Charlotte, NC. 2016

Bojangles' Coliseum.

1/26/2016

Edited by My Big 12"

1 hour ago, My Big 12" said:

I have whats most likely the best sounding concert boot of TOOL from 2016 in .wav file If anyone is interested I will be happy to share.

Tool Live. Charlotte, NC. 2016

Bojangles' Coliseum.

1/26/2016

I would definitely want this. I've got well over 300 Tool bootlegs and I'm not sure why I don't have this unless it hasn't been circulated via the normal torrenting sites like Zomb and Dime.

8 minutes ago, Barberbro said:

Yes please!

Just sent you a link to your profile page. Either Danny or Adam screws up Vicarious, but I will especially note Schism as being a top 10 live performance in my opinion. Still can't get over how good this show sounds.

Edited by My Big 12"

17 minutes ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

Listening now... wow!

This sounds like a fucking soundboard feed!!!
Thanks a ton for this!!
I suppose there is also a recording of the Primus show from that night...

I'll ask my bud about Primus, surely they caught that as well. Stunning show for sure. I am truly going WOW! "I Smell Marijuana"  is what I am naming this show thanks to Maynards quip, during "Opiate" I do believe.

Edited by My Big 12"