topher

Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Fuck it my expectations are so low at this point. Their sound has not evolved beyond Lateralus and waiting 10 years between albums certainly doesn't help. If/when it comes out and it's great, fantastic I will enjoy listening to it. But I feel they'd put out a much more enjoyable album (to my ears) if they didn't spend so much goddamn time on it. 

21 minutes ago, jeromium said:

Fuck it my expectations are so low at this point. Their sound has not evolved beyond Lateralus and waiting 10 years between albums certainly doesn't help. If/when it comes out and it's great, fantastic I will enjoy listening to it. But I feel they'd put out a much more enjoyable album (to my ears) if they didn't spend so much goddamn time on it. 

Im not too sure they are spending so much time on it......i think with the other commitments and lawsuits and shit they probably havnt had all that much time invested in it

Itll be good.......Im more excited about the prospect of re issues tbh

Other than 10,000 days, the masterings of all the Tool albums on CD have been excellent and have avoided The Loudness Wars, and even 10,000 days is still nowhere near the dynamic range compression levels we see on NIN and Red Hot Chili Pepper records...they've done a really good job with mastering. Hopefully that won't change on the new album.

However for those that don't have $400 to plonk down on AEnima on vinyl, the idea of getting one pressed at one of the top houses mastered by someone like Grundman, Bellman, RK Smith, Gray, etc., cut directly from the original analogue master, it's hard not to get excited.

If they're done properly and they do a box set, day one preorder for me.

I went through two US copies (2006, using the same lacquers as the 1999 release) of Undertow and they both stunk compared to the CD. I listened to the shit out of this album when it was released, as an angry 19 year old sometimes with a brain full of acid, it is a deeply personal album for me...would love a copy on my turntable that does it (the album) justice.

In case you don’t want to wait for a 12/31/2036 release date, I’d recommend scoring a nice OG promo press of Undertow. I don’t know the price today, but I got one off eBay a few years back for just under a $100. It sounds like you’re in the control room listening to MJK lay down the vocals live.

13 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I don't need any remasters, unless they are miraculously better than the originals.

We m just hoping for a good new album. It's never going to be as good as we all hope for, but we can dream.

Tool's discography is in massive need of a vinyl upgrade/renewal. I mean, Aenima is one of the most sought after LP's in a lot of camps. The fact that its been dead OOP for 22 years is shameful.

Lateralus is a fucking picture disc. A PICTURE DISC. I've heard two different copies of it. Mine and a friend's. The sound is just acceptable and I've seen some skipping in some parts. It should sound amazing. It could really stand to be cut in the original CD version track order as well. There's no reason why that could not have been done.

The current Undertow 2xLP press, I have a copy from 2008 and it sounds cool. It has a weirdly earthy tone overall.  Its not amazing but its not terrible. My 1996 repress sounds amazing and sweet. I definitely think its worth re-cutting to sound more like the 1996 cut.

Anyone listen to his most recent appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast? Fascinating dude. A lot of really insightful conversation, and it was funny to hear him make drool sounds when talking about cheese and wine (he owns a vineyard) and discuss taking his Yorkie puppy on airplanes as an emotional support dog because he doesn't want to pay extra for it, lol.

Another interesting fact.  Maynard has his own backstage passes which currently are his face photo shopped on to an old statue jacking off with the phrase "When In Rome Assist A Gladiator".  Dude sounds like a total sleazeball.  I know the girl who has one of these passes and this is a response she wrote to a post regarding the above tweet.

"He is definitely the biggest creep in rock. Check out this backstage pass he gave me... it says "When in Rome Assist A Gladiator" with his face photoshopped on a classical statue jerking off. I was at an APC show to see my other friend in that band. Never have I witnessed such a meat market. No beer or a good time like an afterparty to even to mask it. A lit room with folding chairs and 3 water bottles for maybe 20 girls, my friend came and said hi to me for about 10 mins and Maynard came out, picked the chick he wanted to fuck and told everyone else to fuck off. I had to drive 2 girls home because their friends/boyfriends had left them after they wanted to go backstage."