topher

Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Tool. The lyrics are extremely complex and without a solid grasp of the Fibonacci sequence most of the words will go over a typical listener's head. There's also Tool's uncommon time signatures which is deftly woven into their characterization - Maynard's personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realize that they're not just music- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Tool truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Maynard's famous song "Hooker With A Penis, " which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Maynard James Keenan's genius unfolds itself on their record players. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have an Ænima tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

3 hours ago, zuck said:

Holy shit. Is this where all the Brand New fans went after they apparently called it quits?

Brand New fans merely adopted the Tool posting; Tool fans were born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see a positive comment until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding

53 minutes ago, twatay said:

That's a horseshit standard IMO.

Why? You can write with the intention of readers drawing their own interpretation and still fit under that standard. If your GOAL is to write something that means a certain something and you are unable then it's time to practice writing.

Posted (edited)

Okay so, I'm about 5 listens into "Fear Inoculum" and I'm liking it a lot more with each listen.  It's not immediate.  I *REALLY* REALLY* REALLY* wanted something with an immediate, awesome and heavy riff like the choruses of "The Grudge" or "Schism" offer or something upbeat like "The Pot".  This song does not do that.  It's long, sinewy, and takes it's time. 

But if you let this thing breathe, and let it do it's thing... oh man.  It's weird, because I felt like "Invincible" and "Descending" were weak songs because they didn't suit the live setting due to their lack of aforementioned headbang riffs.  However, if you let the song build naturally and don't expect anything, the heavy parts DO offer the same songwriting impact.  It's super weird, because those parts on their own are very simple, and wouldn't normally have such an impact, but within the context of the whole song, they work. 

Also I love the production, because I think Lateralus is one of the best-sounding records of all time, if not the best, and I don't love how 10,000 Days sounds. 

Really curious to hear the studio version of Invincible and Descending, because i still don't think those work super well in the live setting. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

3 minutes ago, jeromium said:

Some wack song titles for sure. 🤨  I only wish they were just fucking with us.

The only one that's whack to me is "Chocolate Chip Trip." What's truly whack is the way they felt the need to split the album between a single CD and supplement the full experience with digital only content instead of just doing a 2xCD and also instead deciding to putting all the package money toward a fuckin' mini-HDTV. Eat MY ass.

12 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

What's truly whack is the way they felt the need to split the album between a single CD and supplement the full experience with digital only content instead of just doing a 2xCD and also instead deciding to putting all the package money toward a fuckin' mini-HDTV. Eat MY ass.

I thought the same thing. Add a second disc to present the entire album? nope. need dat space for instagram-looper video screen.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

The vinyl release is going to be some $60 laser-etched garbage that projects hexagram patterns and third eye bullshit when it’s spun under the perfect lighting.  No music; that comes on the included download card.

I need this.

16 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The vinyl release is going to be some $60 laser-etched garbage that projects hexagram patterns and third eye bullshit when it’s spun under the perfect lighting.  No music; that comes on the included download card.

And to top it all off, it comes out on the anniversary of the release date for the 10,000 Days vinyl....

...you read that right.

19 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

The only one that's whack to me is "Chocolate Chip Trip." What's truly whack is the way they felt the need to split the album between a single CD and supplement the full experience with digital only content instead of just doing a 2xCD and also instead deciding to putting all the package money toward a fuckin' mini-HDTV. Eat MY ass.

Yeah, super fucked up they're leaving some content off the only official physical release at this point. Not that I was planning to buy that bullshit anyway.