Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Well I won't be using Popmarket again.

I got an email receipt with the 15% discount taken off, but they charged me the full amount.

Then, even though the price had been quoted in £ and I'd been charged in £, they put the values of the records in $ on the customs form. The exchange rate between the $ price and the £ one was 2 dollars to one pound, an exchange rate only seen once in the last decade, briefly at the end of 2007. This increased the import duty I had to pay by 20%. I fully expected to pay some, but not that much. Let's see how they respond to the complaint.

Well I won't be using Popmarket again.

I got an email receipt with the 15% discount taken off, but they charged me the full amount.

Then, even though the price had been quoted in £ and I'd been charged in £, they put the values of the records in $ on the customs form. The exchange rate between the $ price and the £ one was 2 dollars to one pound, an exchange rate only seen once in the last decade, briefly at the end of 2007. This increased the import duty I had to pay by 20%. I fully expected to pay some, but not that much. Let's see how they respond to the complaint.

Mine came last week no issues or import charges at all. Did expect something tbh. Was it posted from Switzerland?

Mine came last week no issues or import charges at all. Did expect something tbh. Was it posted from Switzerland?

Sticker says Nashville, TN. They stuck the Switzerland sticker over that.

They're being really difficult about refunding me the money the discount code should have saved. May have to go the credit card company.

I got my refund for them not applying the discount code, but their response to my unhappiness over them over-declaring the value was 'nothing we can do'. I bought these to see what buying from Popmusic would be like. I have my answer. Worked out about the same price as getting them in the UK.

Gotta say I just bought a new copy of the Lateralus picture disc and it is one of the noisiest, pop and click infested new albums I've ever purchased. Tool should be ashamed for allowing this noisy piece of shit to be released with their name attached to it.

It's a picture disc. Don't expect much.

Gotta say I just bought a new copy of the Lateralus picture disc and it is one of the noisiest, pop and click infested new albums I've ever purchased. Tool should be ashamed for allowing this noisy piece of shit to be released with their name attached to it.

I've been saying this ad nauseam: picture discs are novelty items!!! Not meant for audio enjoyment! Fucks sake

Then, for fuck's sake, Tool needs to actually put Lateralus out on vinyl worth listening to.

Pretty sure the fact that:

1) Aenema has been OOP on vinyl for almost two decades now,

2) Lateralus has only been pressed as a picture disc, and

3) 10,000 Days never even GOT a vinyl press

...means that Tool really doesn't give two shits about vinyl.

Pretty sure the fact that:

1) Aenema has been OOP on vinyl for almost two decades now,

2) Lateralus has only been pressed as a picture disc, and

3) 10,000 Days never even GOT a vinyl press

...means that Tool really doesn't give two shits about vinyl.

Why press vinyl when you can just re-release your first EP for 100 bucks?!

• 1 month later...

Wish I would have come here before buying Lateralus today. It's NOISY! Schism, my favorite song on the record, is almost unbearable. Never will I buy a picture disc again, unless it's the Joy Division one, which I'm going to use a decor in my manroomcavestorage area. I will probably try and sell this. Balls. Anyway, my copy of Undertow sound great.

Wish I would have come here before buying Lateralus today. It's NOISY! Schism, my favorite song on the record, is almost unbearable. Never will I buy a picture disc again, unless it's the Joy Division one, which I'm going to use a decor in my manroomcavestorage area. Balls. Anyway, my copy of Undertow sound great.

Mine sounds alright, not super noisy, not amazing. however side B is pressed/glued way off center, causing major pitch changes as the arm sways...

• 4 months later...

I really appreciate finding this board.  I’ve inherited vinyl collections over the years and am paring some stuff down.  One of my buds was into Tool.  Me, not so much.  Accord to the post at the beginning of this thread, my buddy had/and now I have some collectible Tool.

Opiate appears to be a 1st pressing (Printed inner sleeve, BLACK center labels.)  Undertow appears to be the original 1993 promo w/out "Digustipated" on clear vinyl.  I’m not sure about Ænima.  It’s black vinyl with printed sleeves, but the center labels are really washed out.  Would that make it the 2nd pressing?  Could it be a boot?  I would appreciate some help verifying these before I try to sell.

tool-opiate-2.jpg

tool-undertow-2.jpg

tool-aenima.jpg

(Trying to link to images for the first time in this forum, after some fussing, got 'em.)

So, you do have some pretty coveted stuff.

Opiate is most certainly an original first press. I have the same pressing, very nice stuff.

Undertow is the original 1993 promo, and your clear variant is the rarest of the two.

And, Ænima is likely the 2nd press. Totally official. If the inserts for Ænima are bags/sleeves, then you have an official copy. All of the bootlegs have them printed as double-sided inserts.

Welcome to VC, BTW. :)