Burial (Hyperdub Records)

• 4 months later...

Rodent 10" is available now:  https://burial.bandcamp.com/album/rodent-hdb113

I dig it, feels more traditional Burial then some of his more recent stuff.  I liked the experimentation, but we all got into Burial because of his earlier work.

There are also some slipmats:  https://burial.bandcamp.com/merch/burial-slipmats-2

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, rooks said:

lol the distant horizon to Burial is like 15-20 years :lol:

Yeah I took that with a grain of salt too.  Also wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a 6 track EP or something that followed these up.  I guess I’d take what I can get though.  These 12”s don’t stack up to the LPs of course, but they’ve been enjoyable.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Because that atmosphere, full-scope, and general impact of Untrue - and most full albums in general - say more and leave a longer-lasting impression than a 20 minute 12”.

I just throw on a couple of them in a row ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll snatch up an album in a moment, but I won't feel cheated if he just releases singles until the end of time.

1 minute ago, daegor said:

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll snatch up an album in a moment, but I won't feel cheated if he just releases singles until the end of time.

Just now, JRHews said:

Just compile the last 5+ years of singles and you have yourself an 'album' to listen to...

In all seriousness I'm pumped; always down for more Burial and if this is an indication of a new album then I'm fine waiting. 

And to be fair, wouldn’t about half of that runtime be dedicated to ambient b-sides?  Not that I dislike the spacey tracks or the imagery they conjure up, but if 1 of the 2 LPs of Untrue was dedicated entirely to ambient soundscapes, I don’t think it’d have the same value that it does.  For me anyway.

Will agree that the 12”s are easier to throw on and mix and match when you don’t have a full hour to dedicate to Burial.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

And to be fair, wouldn’t about half of that runtime be dedicated to ambient b-sides?  Not that I dislike the spacey tracks or the imagery they conjure up, but if 1 of the 2 LPs of Untrue was dedicated entirely to ambient soundscapes, I don’t think it’d have the same value that it does.  For me anyway.

Probably, but personally I like that just as much as the 'vocal' tracks.  I get for sure that if you're here for the vocals the last 9 years have been disappointing, haha.

Just now, daegor said:

Probably, but personally I like that just as much as the 'vocal' tracks.  I get for sure that if you're here for the vocals the last 9 years have been disappointing, haha.

Nah, not necessarily just for the chopped’n’screwed vocals.  (Though those can be cool.)  I guess I just listen to a fair bit of ambient as is, and I think Burial’s beats and rhythm writing just leaps out at me a bit more.  He’s great at weaving both styles together and I suppose that’s what I’d hope to hear on a full length if it ever happens.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

And to be fair, wouldn’t about half of that runtime be dedicated to ambient b-sides?  

I love that shit honestly. Anything ambient+techno/dub sign me up. 

Subheim, Kangding Ray, Shifted :wub:

(edit: also Ghosting Season and Yagya if you need more to check out)

Edited by JRHews

13 minutes ago, daegor said:

I'm fine with however he does stuff. My preference would be more Rival Dealer/Street Halo/Kindred type EPs. I think 20-30 min is the sweet spot. 

Ya'll are being oddly hostile about interest in an album :D

I'm not gonna go year by year in runtime because even the albums vary between CD and vinyl versions, but, a drip feed of:

2008: 0

2009: 0

2010: 0

2011: 3 tracks

2012: 5 tracks

2013: 2 tracks 

2014: 0

2015: 0

2016: 2 tracks

2017: 3 tracks

2018: 0

2019: 2 tracks

It'd be chill to get an album some day ;) or a more reliable release schedule. But hey - I'll always take what I can get.

17 minutes ago, rooks said:

Ya'll are being oddly hostile about interest in an album :D

I'm not gonna go year by year in runtime because even the albums vary between CD and vinyl versions, but, a drip feed of:

2008: 0

2009: 0

2010: 0

2011: 3 tracks

2012: 5 tracks

2013: 2 tracks 

2014: 0

2015: 0

2016: 2 tracks

2017: 3 tracks

2018: 0

2019: 2 tracks

It'd be chill to get an album some day ;) or a more reliable release schedule. But hey - I'll always take what I can get.

Yo, I get not including remixes or comp tracks.  But if you're excluding the Four Tet collabs you're missing out.  Also, Temple Sleeper from 2015, Subtemple (or Pre Dawn?) from 2017, and you might not include it but Flame 1 was 2018

Edited by daegor

9 minutes ago, daegor said:

Yo, I get not including remixes or comp tracks.  But if you're excluding the Four Tet collabs you're missing out.  Also, Temple Sleeper from 2015, Subtemple (or Pre Dawn?) from 2017, and you might not include it but Flame 1 was 2018

The numbers were a quick grab from the EPs on Wikipedia. Obviously he released a couple of other things - Moth is my favorite song of all time, bar none.

And also none of this is about quality - everything he's released has been great for me, it's about frequency/quantity and context. If you can get lost in the universe of a quick 8 minute Burial single, that's awesome. Personally, by the time track 3 ends on the longer EPs I'm JUST starting to vibe at the same frequency as the universe he's putting together.

9-10 releases in 11 years sounds pretty great, but when you consider the 2+ year gaps and the track count... nothing wrong with always wishing for more ;)

• 2 months later...