Finch - What It Is To Burn 2xLP Hot Topic exclusives

travis

Guest tms2787

My package came with this the other day, I had seen them in store the day before and thought the cover did look "cloudy" (?) but when I opened it and really looked it, it looks like shit. The records do look really nice but the cover is abomination. The custom jackets that are being made look really nice, I am just not a big enough fan of Finch and/or this album to spend an extra $16 on it. Great work though! 

Still sucks having to compromise for something you paid full price on.

Most definitely. The problem is that no one is this process is really looking out for the kids, universal presses what is ordered, hot topic sells what it gets. It is strictly business and the original label and band that put the work in are shut out. The question being asked is "Will this still sell out at $22 a copy?", and not "Did we put in the best effort possibly to give our supporters the product they deserve".

People are still trying to blame HT for this in any capacity?

HT orders the records from Universal > Universal sends to press, handles all artwork/labels/pressing plant queries > pressing plant ships them to HT's distribution centers > people working at distribution center may or may not even know who Finch is let alone know what the art is supposed to look like > you get product in the mail

Travis gets his copies from a store, just like everyone else. No one but the dude at Universal who approved the art saw it before it was out into the world & it's a little late to recall them at this point.

Sure, *something* could be done, but I personally like to see creative folks like gkersey and Patrick do something fun and unique. It gives the release a little more character in the long run.

Hot topic shouldn't have accepted it. It's universals mess up but hot topic accepted it without making sure everything was correct. If you buy something from a vendor so you can sell it in your store you might wanna make sure it's what you ordered. I don't know, I just feel like they are both to blame.

I get what you're saying, but no one identifies the problem until it's too late. The people in charge of packing them pack millions of items each day - they have to assume that QC has taken place long before items get to them.

Hopefully Travis can find a way to get Universal to send him proofs or something so that he can double check it before they all get sent to the distribution centers.

Nostalgia. Nothing more.

I respect that. My girlfriend kept her eye out for this release for months, but then you get it and the cover is shot. And I think it's more than amazing that you guys on here are organizing something to make your own. The thing that blows my mind is that everyone is so pumped about this because they came out with this and then "say hello to sunshine" and disappeared. I guess I could understand it if they were more in their fans corner and were more consistent.

Nostalgia. Nothing more.

Mostly this.  However, I've passed up on countless albums from my youth that have [more or less recently] been repressed.  I'll consider how the album has aged, and how likely I am to legitimately revisit the record if I were to buy it.  And more often than not, I'm honest enough with myself to acknowledge that a lot of the purchases would be wastes of money.  Yeah, they're nostalgic.  And yes, I loved them as a kid.  But much like my clothes, sense of humor, voice, intellect, and interests have shifted since I was in junior high, so have my tastes in music.  And at the end of the day, that's what you really have to look at.  I think the "nostalgia" card is exploited and played far too often in the vinyl world.  And while I'm now old enough to realize that What It Is To Burn may not be the most sophisticated and well-written album, it sure is just as fun to blast as it was when I was 15.  And that's worth $22 to me.

As weird as it is, hearing Post Script on this record just hit the mark. This album, in a weird way, held up much stronger than most other records I listened to back in the day (namely Punchline, The Matches, Sum 41, etc.) and I got goosebumps listening to Post Script. I fucking hate their follow up and absolutely love their last EP, so in my own case it's not as much nostalgia as it is pure quality of music. They embody what the scene was and represented it to perfection.

Through silence.

I get what you're saying, but no one identifies the problem until it's too late. The people in charge of packing them pack millions of items each day - they have to assume that QC has taken place long before items get to them.

Hopefully Travis can find a way to get Universal to send him proofs or something so that he can double check it before they all get sent to the distribution centers.

You obviously understand the issue. Nobody gave a single fuck about the final product Hot Topic (HOT TOPIC) was going to sell.

I'm not mad, I think it's fucking hilarious they managed to completely fuck this up. The best laughs I've had this week, aside from MCR breaking up.

It was said above, Hot Topic is business. Nothing more and nothing less. They are not a label and will never treat their products as art. Hello Kitty lunch boxes included.

Hot topic shouldn't have accepted it. It's universals mess up but hot topic accepted it without making sure everything was correct. If you buy something from a vendor so you can sell it in your store you might wanna make sure it's what you ordered. I don't know, I just feel like they are both to blame.

Ok - these are complete: 

image_3_zps248ae973.jpeg

a9176de0-a57b-41f1-a892-e9b8b2e5eeca_zps

image_2_zps0b80b8a7.jpeg

Slight change of plans. I'm not gonna take orders until Friday. These are out of 10. I have three people who haven't paid, and then I have one spot left. One I plan on auctioning off on eBay for a local charity with the Finch record (whether it be $10 or $30 - its for the pets!).

These will ship early next week or later this week.

First to PM me gets it. Then the next three will be put on a waiting list to see if the last three people pay.

Thanks guys. This was fun.

For me personally, and I'm a bit biased because I have a personal tie to the album, it was a genre defining album.

Now wither or not you like the genre this album spawned, it's hard to debate it's influence.

Far from genre defining.  The genre was pretty much blowing up... Then this album came out.

Talk about an album that doesn't get any love:  "Too Bad You're Beautiful" by From Autumn To Ashes.  That album is STILL defining the genre today.

Far from genre defining. The genre was pretty much blowing up... Then this album came out.

Talk about an album that doesn't get any love: "Too Bad You're Beautiful" by From Autumn To Ashes. That album is STILL defining the genre today.

What albums that defined that genre besides glassjaw and the deftones came out before finch?