Finch - What It Is To Burn 2xLP Hot Topic exclusives

travis

I'm old and I was finishing my bachelor's when this came out.

I am confident the SRC rumors are true... seeing as Nate's other band just put out a 7" (reverend crow).  

Personally I like SRC releases, they're well made and sound excellent (mastered for vinyl).

Now Universal Special Markets on the other hand....   :angry:

supposedly this is in the works. randy said on AP back in february that they were planning on releasing SHTS http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?p=119419271#post119419271

unfortunately, though, rumor is that it's going to be done by SRC http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/61916-i-would-like-finch-say-hello-to-sunshine-on-vinyl/?p=1425180

To be honest SRC is probably the only place that will do this release justice (and aside from Hot Topic, has the means to actually put it out). I see no reason anyone should be upset that they're doing it.

For the sake of this thread let's judge releases by their quality. Hot Topic has proved time and time again that they do not give one single fuck about the quality of their items or opinions of their customers.

SRC's releases this year have been pretty damn good, as far as the product is concerned.

I agree with this. I used to be dead set against SRC, but from a quality and even a customer service standpoint, they've been pretty good for while now.

Can't speak to the various issues about contacting or not contacting bands they licence out from or old RJ stock or whatever, but what they are putting out is top notch and frankly a lot of stuff I'm really happy to have on vinyl.

Nor am I. Just my opinion. I wasn't taking a shot at you personally.

I 100% agree with your opinion. I think if the product turns out good it's on who pressed it. If it turns out bad it's on who pressed it, but it's also on Hot Topic for not checking the quality during the process and putting it out to the public and expecting people to pay full price for defected items. Hot Topic seems to do about zero quality control on items. I think Travis said he never saw the Finch and only heard about it after it was already in people's hands. Travis does a great job at getting stuff pressed, past that point it seems like it could be hit or miss. I don't put it all on Travis he's one dude in a giant machine. I know I think this Finch should have been quality checked by Hot Topic and as many issues that it had it should have been at least discounted. To let that product slip out at full price is just wrong (and then to continue selling it at full price after the fact is kind of like spitting in the face of your customers). Travis telling me he was at SXSW and just didn't have time really doesn't put much faith in their quality control department haha. You'd think with the massive amount of people that work for Hot Topic one other person could have opened it and gave it a look haha.

There's also no arguing that SRC is putting out some really well done releases (the sleeves, inserts, vinyl for the most part seem to be top notch). I think I'd put more faith in them doing the release at this point and time.

Again, just wanted to point out that everyone is bitching about a pixelated ice cube tray. Meanwhile, the death toll in Bangladesh is counting. First. World. Problems.

Move the fuck on. This is getting old.

Dude if you don't want to talk about records find the Bangladesh forum and talk about Bangladesh. About every thread on this entire forum examines the quality of albums (sound, look, etc...). Let me have my first world problems haha. That being said I totally understand what you are saying. I wish the cover hadn't been pixelated so it wouldn't be an issue. When thousands of people buy something jacked up it tends to upset them. A few soreheards (myself in that category occasionally tend to get upset). I'd say you have recieved at least one record that you've voiced your displeasure about and been dissapointed in (but if you haven't that's awesome. You've had some really good luck).

Does no one here realize that hot topic has very little say about final product? Blame Universal. Hot topic serves completely as a distro (even if it is an exclusive distro) and places an order for a product and then sells said product. Sure, they can request it to be on a specific color or have a certain feature but ultimately it is all on UNIVERSAL with what is created and finalized. To say that hot topic does not care about finalized product is blowing this way out if proportion. Think of the releases we would not have because of hot topic. Not to mention, everyone still does not realize that this is HOT TOPIC, which is primarily a clothing store that specializes in music culture, not a record label or a substitute for a record store. Their money maker isn't in records. Am I happy about what is it to burn? No. Am I do aggravated to the point that I am saying hot topic gives 0 fucks about pleasing their customers? No. Lets get past this. I'm sure from now on, all releases may be delayed so that they can do a second quality check, but then this place will just bitch about the delay.

I 100% agree with your opinion. I think if the product turns out good it's on who pressed it. If it turns out bad it's on who pressed it, but it's also on Hot Topic for not checking the quality during the process and putting it out to the public and expecting people to pay full price for defected items. Hot Topic seems to do about zero quality control on items. I think Travis said he never saw the Finch and only heard about it after it was already in people's hands. Travis does a great job at getting stuff pressed, past that point it seems like it could be hit or miss. I don't put it all on Travis he's one dude in a giant machine. I know I think this Finch should have been quality checked by Hot Topic and as many issues that it had it should have been at least discounted. To let that product slip out at full price is just wrong (and then to continue selling it at full price after the fact is kind of like spitting in the face of your customers). Travis telling me he was at SXSW and just didn't have time really doesn't put much faith in their quality control department haha. You'd think with the massive amount of people that work for Hot Topic one other person could have opened it and gave it a look haha.

There's also no arguing that SRC is putting out some really well done releases (the sleeves, inserts, vinyl for the most part seem to be top notch). I think I'd more faith in them doing the release at this point and time.

You have posted almost this exact same thing like 10 times in this thread already

You have posted almost this exact same thing like 10 times in this thread already

I have not. Search this thread for my comments. You will not find a statement I made similar in this thread. I made a post similar in the Green Day thread (sort of). I'm no troll man so don't try to make me out as one. I was merely agreeing with the moderator who you accused of making false accusations. I can say why I agree and support what he thinks if I want. You also have the right to disagree. I'm 100% fine with that. You have responded almost exactly the same way to everyone's criticism of Hot Topic in almost every Hot Topic thread. So I'd say we're even. You do realize I'm not attacking you in any way with my original comment right? If anything I'm praising the work you do. Which I do appreciate it. I'm sure you worked long and hard to make this release happen. For it to be botched is probably a pretty big bummer to you.

In fact my initial post in this thread was nothing but excitment and praise of the release (before I recieved it and was dissapointed with the final product. Online it looked like a win. In person messed up labels and pixelation have made it kind of a loss. It is still nice to actually get to listen to it). Just search my screename if you don't believe me.

Quick question though. When I went back over the comments to try and check and make sure I hadn't said something similar I came accross an image of the vinyl you posted Feb. 12, 2013. Was this a mockup or the actual image of the vinyl? It looks a little blurry, but to my eyes it looks like the label is messed up in the photo and reads: What Is It To Burn. I could be wrong though. Like I said the image is blurry. If that is a finished copy of the actual record why did you not notice the messed up label at that point? Was it too late by then to try and contact anyone to make this pressing better? This was a long while before it actually went up for sale.

To anyone else here is the photo. See if you agree or not:

Finch_zps5290c7e9.jpg

Shit dude, I'm just glad I didn't have to spend over 50 dollars to get a record I have wanted for years.  I was a bit disappointed that the cover was pixelated, but beyond that I am just really glad I got a record I love at an affordable price.

$50 is the second market price.  I don't know what the original price of the record was, but this was what, $21.99?  And it was flawed hugely.  It's a poor quality product even if it gave the secondary market a break or an new option.  Records should not be released and then have an immediate community reaction to get new covers printed at an ADDITIONAL cost to the buyer.

I have not. Search this thread for my comments. You will not find a statement I made similar in this thread. I made a post similar in the Green Day thread (sort of). I'm no troll man so don't try to make me out as one. I was merely agreeing with the moderator who you accused of making false accusations. I can say why I agree and support what he thinks if I want. You also have the right to disagree. I'm 100% fine with that. You have responded almost exactly the same way to everyone's criticism of Hot Topic in almost every Hot Topic thread. So I'd say we're even. You do realize I'm not attacking you in any way with my original comment right? If anything I'm praising the work you do. Which I do appreciate it. I'm sure you worked long and hard to make this release happen. For it to be botched is probably a pretty big bummer to you.

In fact my initial post in this thread was nothing but excitment and praise of the release (before I recieved it and was dissapointed with the final product. Online it looked like a win. In person messed up labels and pixelation have made it kind of a loss. It is still nice to actually get to listen to it). Just search my screename if you don't believe me.

Quick question though. When I went back over the comments to try and check and make sure I hadn't said something similar I came accross an image of the vinyl you posted Feb. 12, 2013. Was this a mockup or the actual image of the vinyl? It looks a little blurry, but to my eyes it looks like the label is messed up in the photo and reads: What Is It To Burn. I could be wrong though. Like I said the image is blurry. If that is a finished copy of the actual record why did you not notice the messed up label at that point? Was it too late by then to try and contact anyone to make this pressing better? This was a long while before it actually went up for sale.

To anyone else here is the photo. See if you agree or not:

Finch_zps5290c7e9.jpg

That picture was not taken by Travis. It was sent to him. No one here would have caught that minor mix up simply by looking at a blurry photo.