PO :: Wonder Years - The Upsides (DELUXE) 2LP

tokimedo

What do you think Sleeping On Trash was? A money grab.

The band didn't want their fans paying insane prices on ebay to own their earlier work so they made all of that material easier to find and on one album...and that is straight from the press release

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/the_wonder_years_announce_sleeping_on_trash_a_collection_of_songs_recorded

...so once again...piss off

The band didn't want their fans paying insane prices on ebay to own their earlier work so they made all of that material easier to find and on one album...and that is straight from the press release

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/the_wonder_years_announce_sleeping_on_trash_a_collection_of_songs_recorded

...so once again...piss off

As I can tell from your name and deadformat, you're a huge TWY fan. I'm in no way saying anything bad about the band, as I am a big fan myself. I am just talking about their ex-label. I for one am very happy they're on Hopeless now.

As I can tell from your name and deadformat, you're a huge TWY fan. I'm in no way saying anything bad about the band, as I am a big fan myself. I am just talking about their ex-label. I for one am very happy they're on Hopeless now.

I just think its lame to get on here an bash a label that has put out some of the best releases of the past few years...I'm a big no sleep fan as well...I have spent a ton of money supporting that label and I hate to see people put down dudes that work their asses off to put out quality music...

I'm pretty sure No Sleep has the rights to press their albums on vinyl...I mean they pressed Suburbia

and its super lame of you to suggest No Sleep would press something "just for the money"...piss off

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that Hopeless bought them out of their contract with No Sleep, and that's why No Sleep did the vinyl release. Hopeless isn't stupid, they'll make sure that they can make money off of them. No Sleep does tons of stuff just for money, including his insane eBay auctions as the other guy pointed out. I have no idea why so many people will endorse Chris with all this cred when he does stuff that people would bash anyone else for. He presses 20 test presses "just for the money". How many copies of Leavenhouse has HE sold on eBay? 

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that Hopeless bought them out of their contract with No Sleep, and that's why No Sleep did the vinyl release. Hopeless isn't stupid, they'll make sure that they can make money off of them. No Sleep does tons of stuff just for money, including his insane eBay auctions as the other guy pointed out. I have no idea why so many people will endorse Chris with all this cred when he does stuff that people would bash anyone else for. He presses 20 test presses "just for the money". How many copies of Leavenhouse has HE sold on eBay? 

WHO CARES!? Who does that affect negatively? Why are the ebay auctions insane? People clearly want them, why not sell them?

I wasn't really attacking him. I was giving examples of how stupid it is to imply that he doesn't do things with the sole purpose of making money. 

Uh yeah you sort of were. Why would someone 'bash him' or take away his 'cred?' I could name things every person I know does with the sole purpose of making money. You do things with the sole purpose of making money. So what?

Uh yeah you sort of were. Why would someone 'bash him' or take away his 'cred?' I could name things every person I know does with the sole purpose of making money. You do things with the sole purpose of making money. So what?

When did I try and take away his cred? I said that I don't get why people (mainly kids I see at shows) give him cred and talk about No Sleep as though they are Mother Theresa or something. I just thought it was stupid to argue that he doesn't do things just for money. To be honest, there are few bands on the No Sleep roster that I really care about, so I don't have enough emotional investment to bash him. He can go on auctioning off copies of stuff that he's witheld, it doesn't affect me, but I won't pretend he isn't doing it to make a living.

You say that as if this site isn't based around that same concept of selling vinyl to make money.

You say that as if this site isn't based around that same concept of selling vinyl to make money.

Let me make this clear. I have 0 problem with anyone selling vinyl to make money. Go ahead. I do, however, think that it is stupid to say that someone who makes a living selling albums would not in fact press an album in order to make money.

Let me make this clear. I have 0 problem with anyone selling vinyl to make money. Go ahead. I do, however, think that it is stupid to say that someone who makes a living selling albums would not in fact press an album in order to make money.

So people who have labels don't care at all about the artists that are on their labels...they just put out albums for the sole purpose of making money? you should just quit while you are behind dude...

I think it is pretty clear that Chris cares about what bands he puts out and doesn't just sign bands to "make money." Look at some of the releases from last year. I don't think Mountain Men, Early Graves or TS and the Past Haunts made the label a ton of money, but they are great releases from great bands that Chris supports and believes in...So I think it is stupid to say that just because someone owns a label it means that the only reason they own one is to make money

So people who have labels don't care at all about the artists that are on their labels...they just put out albums for the sole purpose of making money? you should just quit while you are behind dude...

I think it is pretty clear that Chris cares about what bands he puts out and doesn't just sign bands to "make money." Look at some of the releases from last year. I don't think Mountain Men, Early Graves or TS and the Past Haunts made the label a ton of money, but they are great releases from great bands that Chris supports and believes in...So I think it is stupid to say that just because someone owns a label it means that the only reason they own one is to make money

I think that you are taking what I said a biiiiit too far. I didn't say he was a man of no integrity or anything. I never said he didn't care about bands, nor did I say that was the only reason that he ran a label. Ultimately though, you made a stupid argument originally and that is what I was trying to show, but somewhere along the line, apparently it became difficult for people to gather that my point was regarding that.

Why anybody would actually want GSOI on vinyl blows my mind. Are there really people out there that actually think that record is good? The band themselves have openly stated that they hate everything about it. I'm a huge TWY fan but I wouldn't buy GSOI if it ever were pressed(which it won't be)

I think that you are taking what I said a biiiiit too far. I didn't say he was a man of no integrity or anything. I never said he didn't care about bands, nor did I say that was the only reason that he ran a label. Ultimately though, you made a stupid argument originally and that is what I was trying to show, but somewhere along the line, apparently it became difficult for people to gather that my point was regarding that.

That other dude said that Sleeping on Trash was a cash grab, so I pointed out that it wasn't and said that No Sleep is a great label that put out some of the best releases of the past few years and that I thought it was lame to get on a vinyl message board where we are supposed to support this kind of thing and bash somebody when they put out great music. I feel that No Sleep doesn't put out albums "just for the money" but also because they care about the music they are putting out...

That was my argument...

That other dude said that Sleeping on Trash was a cash grab, so I pointed out that it wasn't and said that No Sleep is a great label that put out some of the best releases of the past few years and that I thought it was lame to get on a vinyl message board where we are supposed to support this kind of thing and bash somebody when they put out great music. I feel that No Sleep doesn't put out albums "just for the money" but also because they care about the music they are putting out...

That was my argument...

Well Sleeping on Trash does/did kind of look like a cash grab. I get that they didn't want kids dropping insane amounts of money on that stuff, so I get that it wasn't really, but one could question the motives of a band that sold branded flip-flops. Either way, I don't really concern myself with it because I don't need the stuff that's on there. 

As for No Sleep, I still stand by my original argument about it, but I didn't mean it as roughly as some people (mainly this guy and Jeff) seemed to think I did. If he wanted to cash in on GSOI, he would have done it already. He seems to have a positive enough relationship with the band though, and they don't want it pressed. I don't really like TWY anymore, but there are only really like 2 songs from that record that I'd really care to listen to anyway.

Well Sleeping on Trash does/did kind of look like a cash grab. I get that they didn't want kids dropping insane amounts of money on that stuff, so I get that it wasn't really, but one could question the motives of a band that sold branded flip-flops. Either way, I don't really concern myself with it because I don't need the stuff that's on there. 

As for No Sleep, I still stand by my original argument about it, but I didn't mean it as roughly as some people (mainly this guy and Jeff) seemed to think I did. If he wanted to cash in on GSOI, he would have done it already. He seems to have a positive enough relationship with the band though, and they don't want it pressed. I don't really like TWY anymore, but there are only really like 2 songs from that record that I'd really care to listen to anyway.

Alright sir...well I guess we should just agree to somewhat disagree...I guess

This was my first "internet fight" how did I do...haha

The only thing I don't like about Chris/no sleep is that he presses so many tests for the sole reason of sitting on them and then turning them around for huge profits later. Why would someone need 20 tests for one release? It's obvious that that aspect of his releases are a cash grab.

But that goes for any label, so its nothing personal to no sleep. Even Ross/ETR does it cause he knows he can trade/sell the extra tests to fluff his own collection, when we all know an extra test through gotta grove costs what...$3?

When tests start going 20+, then It stops serving the sole purpose of a test press, and also just becomes another very rare variant.

• 2 years later...