Recently Viewing

I had a pretty slow week at work, so I blew through some movies.

We Are What We Are (2013): I liked it quite a bit.  I really like slow moving horror and this fit the bill really well.  I'm going to try and watch the original in the near future.

The Dirties: It was good, but not great.  Very dark comedy and touched on some fairly sensitive subjects.  As far as I can tell, the filmmakers are pretty young.  It'll be interesting to see what the do next.

The Brass Teapot: Someone in the thread watched this and it piqued my interest.  I liked the idea a lot more than I like how it was presented.  It was more of a fairytale portrayal, when I think it would have worked better as a dark comedy.  It was a bit predictable and I kind of lost interested towards the end.  It did give me some good laughs though and Juno Temple makes everything better, so there is that.

Rewind This!: It's a documentary about VHS tapes and collectors.  I loved it.  I'd recommend it to for anyone who's a big fan of horror or B-movies, but I think most people on this board would appreciate it.  Apparently, House of the Devil got a VHS release?  The nerd in me wants a copy pretty badly (even though I haven't had a VCR in at least 10 years).

Veronica Mars: I liked it a ton.  I thought it stayed true to the show and that the fan service wasn't gratuitous.  I don't know if it would work as well for someone unfamiliar with the show, but I think most fans will dig it.

I was sick for a few day so I finally had time some quality TV time.

Anchorman 2: Disappointing. A few good jokes but mostly misses. The cameos at the end were the best part and I would have preferred a whole movie featuring all those characters. Drake cameo at the beginning was stupid though.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: I get that the Jackass guys are like 40 something now and have families and shit so another true Jackass movie is reallllllly unlikely, but I really wish they'd do one. BG was ok. A few chuckles and a couple laugh out loud moments, but overall any random 5 minutes from any of the other Jackass movies would contain more. I wish the trailer had spoiled the pageant bit at the end.

The Wolf of Wall Street: Fuck yeah, this movie owned. I know when it came out people were mad that it glorified the guy and his lifestyle, but he was clearly a slimeball piece of shit. I mean, yeah, it glorified everything but it was told from his point of view. A movie doesn't need to hold my hand and tell me "This is bad" Although I REALLY wish Quaaludes were still a thing, shit looked dope.

Bronson: I'd already seen it and loved it but my girlfriend put it on. If you haven't seen it fix that.

Out of the Furnace: This was a pleasant little surprise. I knew nothing about it and put it on on a whim. Cast is stacked and the cinematography is really fucking good. Solid movie. Nothing mindblowing or spectacular, just really solid.

Homefront: Kind of ridiculous, but not horrible. When I saw it was written by Sylvester Stallone everything made  lot more sense. James Franco is fun even if he doesn't really go off the rails crazy. Very basic movie, but entertaining enough.

The X-Files Season 4: I wish the 90s never ended and we could The X-Files seasons 3-6 went on forever.

I had a pretty slow week at work, so I blew through some movies.

We Are What We Are (2013): I liked it quite a bit. I really like slow moving horror and this fit the bill really well. I'm going to try and watch the original in the near future.

The Dirties: It was good, but not great. Very dark comedy and touched on some fairly sensitive subjects. As far as I can tell, the filmmakers are pretty young. It'll be interesting to see what the do next.

The Brass Teapot: Someone in the thread watched this and it piqued my interest. I liked the idea a lot more than I like how it was presented. It was more of a fairytale portrayal, when I think it would have worked better as a dark comedy. It was a bit predictable and I kind of lost interested towards the end. It did give me some good laughs though and Juno Temple makes everything better, so there is that.

Rewind This!: It's a documentary about VHS tapes and collectors. I loved it. I'd recommend it to for anyone who's a big fan of horror or B-movies, but I think most people on this board would appreciate it. Apparently, House of the Devil got a VHS release? The nerd in me wants a copy pretty badly (even though I haven't had a VCR in at least 10 years).

Veronica Mars: I liked it a ton. I thought it stayed true to the show and that the fan service wasn't gratuitous. I don't know if it would work as well for someone unfamiliar with the show, but I think most fans will dig it.

Just watched Rewind This and loved it

I know I already said it but I'll say it again, everyone needs to watch Review on Comedy Central. It's one of the best new comedies I've seen in a couple years.

The premise is Andy Daly plays the straight-laced host of a TV show where he reviews life experiences (addiction, stealing, making a sex tape) that are submitted to him by his viewers. Tonight's episode he reviewed eating 15 pancakes, getting divorced, and eating 30 pancakes.

I'm pretty sure Comedy Central's website is streaming the first episode on their website if you want to check it out.

I know I already said it but I'll say it again, everyone needs to watch Review on Comedy Central. It's one of the best new comedies I've seen in a couple years.

The premise is Andy Daly plays the straight-laced host of a TV show where he reviews life experiences (addiction, stealing, making a sex tape) that are submitted to him by his viewers. Tonight's episode he reviewed eating 15 pancakes, getting divorced, and eating 30 pancakes.

I'm pretty sure Comedy Central's website is streaming the first episode on their website if you want to check it out.

I haven't watched tonight's episode, but I thought the last two were really funny.  Jessica St. Clair does a great job as his wife too.

The only concern I have for the show is that I'm not sure how sustainable of an idea this is.  It's a good premise, but I have a feeling it'll be really reaching for ideas by the time the third season rolls around.

Saw grand Budapest. Probably weakest Wes Anderson movie, but that's because the bar was really high. Definitely not as funny as the others but more action.

I have to disagree!  While I'm not sure what place this movie has as far as ranking is concerned, I really enjoyed seeing Anderson's take on a murder mystery.  What this movie is, is completely over the top.  Outrageous is probably the word for it.  It's the same type of humor, just magnified.  The details, while still matter of fact like his other films, are no longer subtle but pronounced.

I think the strengths of this film are Fiennes's acting (I cracked up in every scene he had), the screenplay was very well written, and the cast.

I'm not sure this is one of his more accessible films though.  Life Aquatic might hold that only title.

This past week I watched:

Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Nymphomaniac Pt. 1

Nymphomaniac Pt. 2

Ain't Them Bodies Saints was okay I guess. I kinda found it a little boring though. Nymphomaniac Pt.'s 1 & 2 were fucking incredible though. Seriously, Lars Von Trier might be my favorite director of all-time.

I'm going to see Nymphomaniac this weekend.  I love Von Trier's work, too.  I'm just a little confused - it's just one feature film right?

This past week I watched:

Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Nymphomaniac Pt. 1

Nymphomaniac Pt. 2

Ain't Them Bodies Saints was okay I guess. I kinda found it a little boring though. Nymphomaniac Pt.'s 1 & 2 were fucking incredible though. Seriously, Lars Von Trier might be my favorite director of all-time.

Ain't Them Bodies Saints felt like someone watched too much Terrance Malick and thought "Pfft, I can do that."

I'm looking forward to Nymphomaniac but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Finally saw Gravity. Really dug it. One of those I watch at home and wish I had made the effort to see in theaters.

Re-watched Gone Baby Gone recently as well. Haven't seen it since it first came out and forgot how much I enjoyed this movie... and how much of a fucking bummer it is. Jesus Christ it's a downer... and that last line, shit. But really wonderfully made and acted movie.