How old was this kid? Was he old enough to have a sense of sexuality? People want to turn little kids into adults way too quickly. I had someone say my sub-four year old boy is "faggy" for taking dance. He doesn't get the full differences between right / wrong - male / female etc yet. We ask kids to grow up way too quickly. If you were disturbed the mother should have said something. One of my boys female classmates punched me in the butt to get my attention the other day laughing then said "i punched you in the butt". I didn't find it at all sexually inappropriate but did get down to eye level and tell her hitting could hurt someone so she shouldn't be doing that but if she ever wanted to chat she can tap me. 

Anyway, I can't fully comment. I don't know how old the kid was. 

As to the chimp conversation: A dear, now deceased, friend of mine established what is now the worlds largest sanctuary for captive chimps. I still go back to visit and it is a dreamland quite literally. One woman who wanted research chimps out of labs and warehouses took an abandoned orange grove and built her dream that has now revolutionized how we care for former captive chimps. I met Jane Goodall a couple of times and interviewed her once. She was as far from "weird" as anyone I've ever met. She was a peaceful beautiful human who actually gave a 21 year old budding filmmaker a lot of her time - in fact, one of the great moments of my career to date was Dr. Goodall telling her assistant that the ceremony she was about to preside over would have to wait so that she could finish the interview she was doing with me - a highly unimportant student. I mean, it made me feel like a million bucks. Like when you are putting your passion into something it can inspire the passions of others and vice versa. Cool moment I've carried for over 15 years.

yup. I live in a terrible neighborhood and that's why I wasn't about to start something with this woman.

See, this changes things to a certain extent as far as understanding why you didn't say anything.

I was disagreeing with your comments of hypersensitivity and thinking it's too much to say he'll one day be a rapist.  Because it's just not true.  Your right, there is story after story of men raping people and thinking it's okay because of upbringing.  But it's society as a whole that constantly blames the victim claiming "Well they were asking for it since they...." and complete that with any line that immediately jumps into your brain.  It goes beyond the people in someone's life teaching them right/wrong.  That's why I don't think it's about it being "too much" or hypersensitive.  It leads you right down the same path of protecting the aggressor.

I want to reply to this, but I have a meeting, and you are obviously set in what you think, so why bother?

I won't even touch the baby comment.

You better not, because you don't have consent...

Edit: lame joke attempt...apologies folks.

How old was this kid? Was he old enough to have a sense of sexuality? People want to turn little kids into adults way too quickly. I had someone say my sub-four year old boy is "faggy" for taking dance. He doesn't get the full differences between right / wrong - male / female etc yet. We ask kids to grow up way too quickly. If you were disturbed the mother should have said something. One of my boys female classmates punched me in the butt to get my attention the other day laughing then said "i punched you in the butt". I didn't find it at all sexually inappropriate but did get down to eye level and tell her hitting could hurt someone so she shouldn't be doing that but if she ever wanted to chat she can tap me.

Thank you, but you are wrong. That kid is a future rapist, hands down.

zac, I got it. my college was very diverse and I lived with a lot of different races. My neighborhood is diverse, I get it. It’s sad, but i get it.

I live on a main street, and when I’m out shoveling snow, I notice the only people who stick their head out the car window to yell something are men of a certain race.

I'm trying not to sound to insensitive right now, and I do believe people in general can be terrible no matter what race.

I want to reply to this, but I have a meeting, and you are obviously set in what you think, so why bother?

You better not, because you don't have consent...

I bet if you experienced what I experienced you'd be "set in what you think," too.

I really like you a lot pudding hat, but I just want you to know that I don't really appreciate making jokes about consent at the expense of people who have been in the situation.

How old was this kid? Was he old enough to have a sense of sexuality?

Based on height I'd guess like 6-8 maybe. I haven't been around kids a lot so I really can't say for sure.

As to the chimp conversation: A dear, now deceased, friend of mine established what is now the worlds largest sanctuary for captive chimps. I still go back to visit and it is a dreamland quite literally. One woman who wanted research chimps out of labs and warehouses took an abandoned orange grove and built her dream that has now revolutionized how we care for former captive chimps. I met Jane Goodall a couple of times and interviewed her once. She was as far from "weird" as anyone I've ever met. She was a peaceful beautiful human who actually gave a 21 year old budding filmmaker a lot of her time - in fact, one of the great moments of my career to date was Dr. Goodall telling her assistant that the ceremony she was about to preside over would have to wait so that she could finish the interview she was doing with me - a highly unimportant student. I mean, it made me feel like a million bucks. Like when you are putting your passion into something it can inspire the passions of others and vice versa. Cool moment I've carried for over 15 years.

Awesome moment with Goodall; she is an inspiring human being

Anyway, I can't fully comment. I don't know how old the kid was.

My apologies for my judgement. It sounds like that was an amazing experience. I had a very different experience, so I apologize for any offense to you and your time.

Also, I hit my 11th year in a row of picking up the Passover Horseradish and Pickles from the place my Grandpa used to for 50 years. I always get an extra jar and pickles and matza and cream cheese and bring it to the office for a little celebration. It was awesome to share it with the folks I work with. The horseradish is so spicy that the guy who makes it has to do so outdoors and wearing a gasmask during the grinding phase. My sinuses are 100% clear at the moment. 

Also, I hit my 11th year in a row of picking up the Passover Horseradish and Pickles from the place my Grandpa used to for 50 years. I always get an extra jar and pickles and matza and cream cheese and bring it to the office for a little celebration. It was awesome to share it with the folks I work with. The horseradish is so spicy that the guy who makes it has to do so outdoors and wearing a gasmask during the grinding phase. My sinuses are 100% clear at the moment. 

this all sounds so good!! what's matza?

They are cool Logan. Not a fan of any primate being a pet but I know there is a diversity of owners. There is also a big difference between a chimp and a capuchin in how they mature.

Yeah, I honestly don't know much but Zoey and Riley are definitely a highlight of my Florida trips.

Monkey hugs rule!

Pardon my spelling: Matzo or Matzah is correct.

Unleavened bread. When the Jews were fleeing Pharaoh they did not have time to bake proper bread before they left so they took the dough and as they fled they'd stop to cook some but never with time enough to let it rise. At Passover Jews eat only Matzah for seven days.

I thought you were talking about mozzarella and I started reminiscing about the best bruschetta I ever had a few months ago.

still though, everything sounds so good.

Also, I converted to Episcopal on my own about 8 or 9 years ago. My Mom is a Jew and my Dad is a devout Catholic. I more or less rejected both except culturally. It wasn't a popular decision in my family but we all need to find our own path in this world. I hold on to the cultural side of Judaism and even gave my son a Jewish Godmother. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic