How do you guys & gals feel about the current state of VC as far as discussions, quality/substance thereof, and overall the people who post?

I ask because over the weekend I had a long-time & regular VCer reach out to me asking to have his account and all deleted as he expressed quite a lot of dismay at the behavior and often aggressiveness by others at times. So much so that some personal attacks were levied upon him and this was the last straw.

Knowing the guy personally outside of VC, hearing all of this and having witnessed it as it all unfolded, really saddened me and of course is of great concern as to what things have devolved to thanks to a few bad apples.

Your post was deserving of its own topic, Juan. You picked a very peculiar place to propose a question that the community should have a chance to weigh in on – given the nature of this thread and its regulars, I suspected that such a discussion-rich question wouldn't be explored for more than an afternoon, but I'm disappointed to see that it's already buried on the last page. I wouldn't have even noticed it if someone else hadn't pointed it out to me via text.

With that being said, I know exactly which member you're referring to and I can't say I blame them for backing out. They were being harassed on a daily basis (in multiple threads) and, quite frankly, I'm surprised that you didn't take action against the main offender. I've heard the "heh, yeah, yeah; we're admins and everyone hates us because we don't do our job" speech, so there's no need to rehash it. All I want to say is that the user who harassed this guy into quitting has been a gigantic shit lord for the last few months. Dude seems to have a vendetta, and even when he wasn't singling out individuals, he was shit-posting for the sake of trolling and causing disputes; just check his recent posts and the amount of downvotes they've notoriously accrued. The absolute definitive troll, in my opinion. I'm amazed he hasn't been temporarily banned, to be honest, but that's not my call to make and I'm sure you have your reasons.

Like everyone else said, the state of VC really isn't all that bad. There have been some super spammy members recently - who have been banned and allowed to return with friends, apparently - but this last incident was an extremity, and the closest thing I've seen to legitimate bullying on VC. It's a shame it had to come to where it has, but like it's been established, I'd say he had a very good reason to leave. It's just a pity because he was genuinely a positive influence across the boards, and he's gone... while his main problem - who is still allowed to shit-post as far as I know - gets to stick around. I don't know. Just an unfortunate scenario all around.

I will say this much....although you both Kevin and Matt, feel strongly about this person's avenue of handling as a cry-baby tactic, knowing what I know and this individual well-enough, it wasn't an easy decision and goes to show (to me at least) how deeply affected they were by what all went down. Yes, I am speaking in vague terms and whatnot for now.

Instead of having a public meltdown as we've seen in past, they chose to essentially take a step back and realize that VC is no longer a place for them in light of some toxic behaviors and attitude by others and of course, the recent personal attacks volied their way. It of course puts a focus on some of the less-than-pleasant things taking place around here.

I'm just being a smart-ass as always. I honestly have no idea who you guys are even talking about or the context, so I'm not seriously weighing in on it.

Man, I must not be paying much attention lately because I'm looooost.

Don't feel too lost. I just know the guy on a personal level, like Juan does.

I haven't figured out who the person or the troll are. I checked Satan but he hasn't deleted his account or gotten attacked in any thread I've seen.

I haven't figured out who the person or the troll are. I checked Satan but he hasn't deleted his account or gotten attacked in any thread I've seen.

It has nothing at all to do with Satan, for what it's worth. Sorry for being so cryptic, but I'm keeping things discrete out of respect for the dude since that seems to be the trend for the time being.

The whole situation sucks but dude should stop being an asshat and the other party should untuck the nuts.

That being said, victory finally put up the dead to fall release. Stoked

Edit: the first part of this post might seem a little harsh but I guess I was trying to say that life is too short to worry about a shit fuck behind a keyboard. Don't worry about people who shit on stuff that you like/do. Enjoy it regardless

It has nothing at all to do with Satan, for what it's worth. Sorry for being so cryptic, but I'm keeping things discrete out of respect for the dude since that seems to be the trend for the time being.

Understandably so.

I have no idea what's going on but I have to admit that the phrase "Safe space" annoys me to no end. I have been known to be an asshole and if you don't like it, ignore it. Way too much pampering going on in life.

Agreed. The world is challenging. Life is a challenge. Adapt.

As far as this goes, I agree that people should be less sensitive, but (not that anyone here is outright doing it, just weighing in) I don't believe anyone should use "that's how the world is" as an excuse to be a dick.

Understandably so.

As far as this goes, I agree that people should be less sensitive, but (not that anyone here is outright doing it, just weighing in) I don't believe anyone should use "that's how the world is" as an excuse to be a dick.

It's not saying that people are valid in being assholes, more so saying you're going to have to learn to live with it. Cause there's no changing it. People are assholes. It's not going to go away.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic