3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

See, that's what it should have been in the first place. That seller is good, too: Almost 2k reviews/ratings with a 99% positive rating.

Right?

Edit: also turned out I had $25 in points that I used. So...practically free!

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Right?

Edit: also turned out I had $25 in points that I used. So...practically free!

Heck of a deal there. Going to hold out and see if a tour variant pops up for now. I'll grab one of these if it's still available when that time comes.

1 minute ago, The Butcha said:

Heck of a deal there. Going to hold out and see if a tour variant pops up for now. I'll grab one of these if it's still available when that time comes.

That's a good plan too. I figure if a good tour variant pops up I may be able to snag one and sell this one for the $25 I paid for it since retail is as high as it is. :)

4 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

Just remembered they are coming here and grabbed tickets. That is super late for it to start but I gotta go.

I have to look at our on-call schedule for September. If I'm on-call the previous weekend I can go because I'll be off that Friday.

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Once I gett my wooden box set test press in the mail I'll take a legit photo. Just wanted to tease @Eliminator Jr. a little.

7GMzk0z.jpg

I'm awestruck already. Haha. Seriously though, it'll take you the better part of a week to take pictures with the records displayed. It's just so.. massive!

14 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

So people in the Norma Jean thread think it's EXTREMELY expensive to make a 2xLP (cause apparently disc count is the only factor when calculating the cost of a record). I know typing my rant and submitting it would fall on deaf ears, so I'll submit it here.

Insert rational person:

Insert #1:

"Uh..... They are EXTREMELY expensive to make."

Insert #2:

"Yeah."

Rant:

So people honestly think $30 for a 2xLP is standard now? Really? 2xLPs are not very expensive to make, especially considering that run size. For what they are doing, assuming they are using a FLAC digital source or analog tapes to make the plates (which is more expensive compared to using a CD), having paper sleeves, a jacket, two dust printed sleeves, two colors for the discs, shrink wrapped, it would be around $10 each. And that's only for 1,000. It'll be cheaper than that since they are doing a 1,000 run of one variant, and probably 2,000+ for the other variant since that size is unlisted. Did you guys see the You Fail Me Redux release? That 8 panel jacket is insane. The thing is, dual printed dust sleeves for 1,000 cost about $2/each. So that's an extra $2,000 for something you probably won't even keep your disc in cause you don't want it to rip. Plus the paper sleeves are just easier to use, right? So we're probably not going to bother with the nicer dust sleeves anyway. But that's just two separate pieces of two panel while the You Fail Me Redux was eight. They had to get is custom made and figure out how cause nothing like that had been done before; more money. That had multiple vinyl colors for multiple variants, albeit being a larger run size, but they also remastered it, and went all out. Yet in the end the damn thing was $18. Almost half the price. They kept their price point low. I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but all I'm saying is it's not hard to have a lower price point. In the end records are worth what you're willing to pay, but do they need to be 3x what they're worth to make? Not really.

It's fine if you want to tell yourself $30 is a good price to help justify the purchase, cool, but it doesn't mean $30 is fair. You really want the album for $30? So be it. Go for it. Power to you. Support the band you love, that's great. It doesn't mean it's actually worth that price point. If this were a Caspian release or some shit you're damn right I'd buy it, but I sure as fuck wouldn't be trying to convince myself it's justified or fair to charge that much. Like with the new ITTCT album, that shit was $30 cause of fucking Metal Blade, so I still haven't bought it. When labels start charging $40 are you just going to say 'well, 2xLPs are expensive to make. $40 is cool with me'?

(This has nothing to do with this band, genre, fan base, yada yada, and only due to the fact that the label is gouging you guys and you're trying to convince yourself it's ok cause you like the band. It's ok to like the band and think you're getting over charged.)

It's hilarious how uneducated you are on this. Have you ever pressed a record?

Comparing a new release to a DW reissue is hardly apples to apples. You are discounting several costs. 

Mastering costs money. 

Art costs money. 

Recording the album costs money. 

Promo costs money. 

Converge has the unique opportunity to master the albums themselves, release it on a label owned by the vocalist, have it mastered by the guitarist, and record everything themselves. 

I'm not disagreeing that $30 is a high price tag, but to simply say "Converge can put out a 2LP for $18, so everyone can" is just.... Well, ignorant. 

I always find it hilarious when people look at a pricing matrix and think to themselves - "OH IT ONLY COSTS $10 TO PUT OUT A RECORD - WE'RE ALL BEING RIPPED OFF" without taking into account all of the costs that made placing the order even possible. 

Carry on. 

1 hour ago, amnstypls said:

Comparing a new release to a DW reissue is hardly apples to apples. You are discounting several costs. 

Mastering costs money. 

Art costs money. 

Promo costs money. 

Converge has the unique opportunity to master the albums themselves, release it on a label owned by the vocalist, have it mastered by the guitarist, and record everything themselves. 

I'm not disagreeing that $30 is a high price tag, but to simply say "Converge can put out a 2LP for $18, so everyone can" is just.... Well, ignorant. 

I always find it hilarious when people look at a pricing matrix and think to themselves - "OH IT ONLY COSTS $10 TO PUT OUT A RECORD - WE'RE ALL BEING RIPPED OFF" without taking into account all of the costs that made placing the order even possible. 

Carry on. 

I'm really not uneducated on it. I just didn't say everything. It was more so catharsis by typing it out. I've never personally pressed a record, no, but I did work in the industry for almost ten years. I know what is involved in making an album (unfortunately). But when did I ever say everyone can put out a record for $18? No where. I used that as an example about a label keeping their price down. Sure, they are able to keep it down more because of that situation, which is great, but I was pointing out the fact that they could have charged more, way more. And no shit that art, mastering, and recording costs money, but you don't need to make up the price difference from just the vinyl pressing. There are also CD sales, digital sales (which use no physical materials), etc. I used the pricing matrix as an example. I didn't say 'oh it costs $10 so they should sell it for $10', that would be stupid. All parties involved need to make money in return, or what would be the point. Obviously there are a lot of factors involved, but that doesn't mean the vinyl pressing should cost $30. The point I was trying to make is that all of those factors are obviously present in a large majority of pressings, some more than others, yet other labels are still able to release their albums at fair(er) prices. I'm not out here with my pitch fork yelling, but more and more people are slowly raising what they sell an album for, and everyone is just telling themselves it's ok. The average has gone up over the last few years, and it continues to rise. I'm not even trying to argue about it, I'm just saying why are people trying to convince themselves that it's ok to charge $30 for an album when it doesn't need to be that high. That's all I'm trying to say. And I'm glad someone else knows about the other factors involved, that's awesome. I just wish the bubble would pop already. If this release came out 5 years ago, or even 3, do you think it would be $30?

2 hours ago, amnstypls said:

Mastering costs money. 

Art costs money. 

Promo costs money. 

Carry on. 

Not to mention that a conservative markup From production cost to retail cost is 250 percent. Practically every product is marked up 300% more than it costs a store to get it. It's how businesses make money. So even if it costs $10 to produce, that's $30 right there.

That's not even taking into account that the label not only needs to make money to stay afloat, but that the artist needs to be paid. I wasn't going to chime in on it, but since you did I figured I'd just add on.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic