3 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I've said it for years, and will continue to say it. Pinkerton was one of the biggest sleeper hits of the 90's to me along with The Bends from Radiohead. Tragically overlooked albums through and through

Totally agree... the Bends is awesome

5 minutes ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Totally did. It's been a while since I pulled it out.

Diary is a masterpiece, and that goes without even needing to be said. LP2 took time for me to warm up to but knowing the facts behind it that the band was basically falling apart while trying to put it together and Jeremy not even wanting to write lyrics to half the songs made it turn into something wondrous because of the fact something so beautiful came from such chaos and malcontent among friends.

Edited by GreatGreenOne77

2 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Diary is a masterpiece, and that goes without even needing to be said. LP2 took time for me to warm up to but knowing the facts behind it that the band was basically falling apart while trying to put it together and Jeremy not even wanting to write lyrics to half the songs made it turn into something wondrous because of the fact something so beautiful came from such chaos and malcontent among friends.

That's a more eloquent version of what I said.

45 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I've said it for years, and will continue to say it. Pinkerton was one of the biggest sleeper hits of the 90's to me along with The Bends from Radiohead. Tragically overlooked albums through and through

I agree with that completely. Most arguably because Blue was such a commercial success so people were expecting a follow up, and they got Pinkerton; much to their dismay. Pinkerton is a close second to Blue, but was overlooked by most of the public. Only die hard Weezer fans really loved it when it came out. It definitely deserves platinum status, so I'm glad to see it, even if it's almost 20 years after it came out.

33 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

agreed, not a fan but the single most important punk record in history save for maybe Ramones "S/T"

Agreed. Definitely in the top 10 for me for sure. It came in at number 3 when I did that top 10 punk albums a while back. Only to be beaten by Damaged and Minor Threat.

32 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

It really does go without saying. It's my go to rainy day album. I love how Grohl talked about how music from Seattle is a whole different breed from staying inside from the rain making music, it's all you had to do. Awesome how something as trivial as weather can effect a genre, and even birth one of its own.

2 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I agree with that completely. Most arguably because Blue was such a commercial success so people were expecting a follow up, and they got Pinkerton; much to their dismay. Pinkerton is a close second to Blue, but was overlooked by most of the public. Only die hard Weezer fans really loved it when it came out. It definitely deserves platinum status, so I'm glad to see it, even if it's almost 20 years after it came out.

From what I read the big problem was also that Geffen had to throw so much money away fighting a legal battle with the Pinkerton Securities Company over the rights for them to use that name on the album, they couldn't put much money behind promotion of it or touring so they were playing super small venues and places like high school gyms. The only single and video I can remember ever seeing was for El Scorcho. I think Pinkerton has all the snazz and appeal that Blue album does if not in a more mature fashion honestly.

2 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

From what I read the big problem was also that Geffen had to throw so much money away fighting a legal battle with the Pinkerton Securities Company over the rights for them to use that name on the album, they couldn't put much money behind promotion of it or touring so they were playing super small venues and places like high school gyms. The only single and video I can remember ever seeing was for El Scorcho. I think Pinkerton has all the snazz and appeal that Blue album does if not in a more mature fashion honestly.

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Agreed. Definitely in the top 10 for me for sure. It came in at number 3 when I did that top 10 punk albums a while back. Only to be beaten by Damaged and Minor Threat.

It really does go without saying. It's my go to rainy day album. I love how Grohl talked about how music from Seattle is a whole different breed from staying inside from the rain making music, it's all you had to do. Awesome how something as trivial as weather can effect a genre, and even birth one of its own.

I love Dave Grohl now that I know so much more about him as a person and his awesome taste in music, but to be honest, the first thing that drew me to even check out Foo Fighters was the fact that he had the rythym section of SDRE playing behind him lol

1 minute ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Yeah, I remember that non sense. I wonder how much that played into it in the long run, and how the success would be different if they had more money for promotion. And El Schorcho was really the only music video that album got as far as I remember. Tired of Sex was a pretty big single off it as well. Pinkerton was more of the 'awkward teenager not getting the girl' type of album, and I guess that didn't resonate as much for people as Blue's surf / garage type feel. Oh well. The hardcore Weezer fans have been enjoying it for almost 20 years; myself included.

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Damaged would certainly make my top 10, but I'd have a hard time compiling a list especially if it includes all subgenres

I love Dave Grohl now that I know so much more about him as a person and his awesome taste in music, but to be honest, the first thing that drew me to even check out Foo Fighters was the fact that he had the rythym section of SDRE playing behind him lol

I'll always say Foo is the best power group of all time:

Dave - Nirvana

Nate - SDRE

Taylor - Alanis Morrisette

Pat - Germs

Chris - No Use For A Name

Rami - The Wallflowers

I'll always say Foo is the best power group of all time:

Dave - Nirvana

Nate - SDRE

Taylor - Alanis Morrisette

Pat - Germs

Chris - No Use For A Name

Rami - The Wallflowers

2 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

Whenever, if Ever?

There were too many represses so I gave up. Down to just the first press splatter and the record release variant. Gave away my last variant that wasn't those two, which I'll never give up.

The newest Saddest Landscape LP is the one I'm going for now. All I'm missing is the test press.

5 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Pinkerton was more of the 'awkward teenager not getting the girl' type of album

This... so much. Pink Triangle and Across the Sea say it all... But then again, they never leave the funny very far behind: "I'll bring home the turkey, if you bring home the bacon" lol

5 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Pinkerton was more of the 'awkward teenager not getting the girl' type of album

This... so much. Pink Triangle and Across the Sea say it all... But then again, they never leave the funny very far behind: "I'll bring home the turkey, if you bring home the bacon" lol

3 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Damaged would certainly make my top 10, but I'd have a hard time compiling a list especially if it includes all subgenres

We did a punk 10 a while back. It definitely took me some time to do because of all the sub genres. Mine had punk / post punk / proto punk / pop punk. There are just so many damn sub genres when it came to punk that I just did my most meaningful punk albums; ones that were the most influential for me, that led as gateways for the whole punk universe.

This is what mine came out to be:

Top 10 Punk Albums:
1. Black Flag : Damaged // (1981)
2. Minor Threat : Complete Discography // (1989)
3. Ramones : S/T // (1976)
4. X : Los Angeles // (1980)
5. Iggy Pop & The Stooges : Raw Power // (1973)
6. Germs : (GI) // (1979)
7. Stiff Little Fingers : Inflammable Material // (1979)
8. Fear : The Record // (1983)
9. Naked Raygun : All Rise // (1985)
10. Fugazi : 13 Songs // (1989)

I could easily make a Top 100 with my repeats artists.

You have Songs From The Black Hole, right? Also, did you know the next album is going to the Black album which might include stuff Rivers wrote from back in the Pinkerton era that didn't make it on the album? I'm really fucking stoked for it.

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

We did a punk 10 a while back. It definitely took me some time to do because of all the sub genres. Mine had punk / post punk / proto punk / pop punk. There are just so many damn sub genres when it came to punk that I just did my most meaningful punk albums; ones that were the most influential for me, that led as gateways for the whole punk universe.

This is what mine came out to be:

Top 10 Punk Albums:
1. Black Flag : Damaged // (1981)
2. Minor Threat : Complete Discography // (1989)
3. Ramones : S/T // (1976)
4. X : Los Angeles // (1980)
5. Iggy Pop & The Stooges : Raw Power // (1973)
6. Germs : (GI) // (1979)
7. Stiff Little Fingers : Inflammable Material // (1979)
8. Fear : The Record // (1983)
9. Naked Raygun : All Rise // (1985)
10. Fugazi : 13 Songs // (1989)

I could easily make a Top 100 with my repeats artists.

That is a damn good list, Unicorn pressing of Damaged is also the top of my "I'm a fucking moron for selling this record list" followed by OGs of Richard Hell "Blank Generation" and Modern Lovers "S/T" at least I got good money and at the time I needed it

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

You have Songs From The Black Hole, right? Also, did you know the next album is going to the Black album which might include stuff Rivers wrote from back in the Pinkerton era that didn't make it on the album? I'm really fucking stoked for it.

I do not... I have Alone, River's Home Recordings, but do not have SFTBH. Hook a brother up if possible. And a black album would just fit so well. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic