3 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Miyazaki isn't weeb-y. It's about as mainstream as anime gets and it's the kind of thing most anyone can/will enjoy.

It's also the only anime I've ever been able to make it all the way through. I couldn't even finish Ghost in the Shell

I was not a fan of Ghost in the Shell either. Same with Akira.

6 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Miyazaki isn't weeb-y. It's about as mainstream as anime gets and it's the kind of thing most anyone can/will enjoy.

It's also the only anime I've ever been able to make it all the way through. I couldn't even finish Ghost in the Shell

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. That doesn't count really.

12 minutes ago, chkadea said:

I have somehow never watched that film - definitely on the list. How are things going for you T? Any decision made on the job options?

Guess I'm sticking with this until I decide what I really want to do. I called the other place and told them about the raise, and they said we probably can't match it for at least 6 months, and that IF I got the job then got hired in from contract. How's everything going for you?

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Guess I'm sticking with this until I decide what I really want to do. I called the other place and told them about the raise, and they said we probably can't match it for at least 6 months, and that IF I got the job then got hired in from contract. How's everything going for you?

I know $3/hr is quite a bit of money, but I think pursuing a job that sounds like it wouldn't stress you out as much as your current would at least pay off health-wise! Never a fun place to be, though.

Not too bad - I've applied to over 100 engineering/marketing jobs this year, and the only one I had an interview with was 2 weeks ago (and only a video interview) for the County of LA. Been scraping by working at a pizza place and trying to pay student loans for 6 months...so hoping 2017 is a vast improvement! :)

9 minutes ago, chkadea said:

I know $3/hr is quite a bit of money, but I think pursuing a job that sounds like it wouldn't stress you out as much as your current would at least pay off health-wise! Never a fun place to be, though.

Not too bad - I've applied to over 100 engineering/marketing jobs this year, and the only one I had an interview with was 2 weeks ago (and only a video interview) for the County of LA. Been scraping by working at a pizza place and trying to pay student loans for 6 months...so hoping 2017 is a vast improvement! :)

Ouch, that's not fun. I worked at my old job for a year or two after graduating, and paying loans is not fun when you already barely make enough to survive. The job market still kinda sucks, despite it swinging back a lot lately. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find something! Good luck. What kinda of engineering degree do you have? My sister's boyfriend is an electrical engineer, and he has been working in Detroit at one of the auto places.

I don't care about the money, well I do until I'm debt free, but I agree. I'd gladly take a pay cut to find something I enjoy. I need to pay that last loan off, and redo the kitchen and bathroom at my house to up the resale value a bunch before I move. The extra money will certainly help with that.

12 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Ouch, that's not fun. I worked at my old job for a year or two after graduating, and paying loans is not fun when you already barely make enough to survive. The job market still kinda sucks, despite it swinging back a lot lately. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find something! Good luck. What kinda of engineering degree do you have? My sister's boyfriend is an electrical engineer, and he has been working in Detroit at one of the auto places.

I don't care about the money, well I do until I'm debt free, but I agree. I'd gladly take a pay cut to find something I enjoy. I need to pay that last loan off, and redo the kitchen and bathroom at my house to up the resale value a bunch before I move. The extra money will certainly help with that.

Thanks! It's just weird how hard it is to find a job, when I have good references and had a good GPA coming out - them's the times I guess! And civil engineering (the boring one). Detroit is good for that, but trying to make it out of Michigan!

It'll be nice to get out from under the thumb of debt I bet :) Although expensive and can be a pain, I find it fun working on that sort of thing, as far as decorating/improving.

I feel you on leaving, I need out of Ohio. Still looking at Austin and Portland. It took me around a year to find a job, mainly because this area is dead though. There is not much left here. I love making my house mine, but I never got around to the kitchen or bathroom, and they are old and generic. I need to redo them a bit to entice buyers. Hopefully it'll that'll help fetch a higher price, since house in the area have been selling like crazy for over twice what I paid for mine. Be a nice little profit if I can get close to that.

6 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I feel you on leaving, I need out of Ohio. Still looking at Austin and Portland. It took me around a year to find a job, mainly because this area is dead though. There is not much left here. I love making my house mine, but I never got around to the kitchen or bathroom, and they are old and generic. I need to redo them a bit to entice buyers. Hopefully it'll that'll help fetch a higher price, since house in the area have been selling like crazy for over twice what I paid for mine. Be a nice little profit if I can get close to that.

I'm looking out west as well - Portland was pretty fun, and maybe I'm odd for thinking this, but it felt like a very small, comfortable city. Wouldn't mind living there for a bit. Seems like the midwest is just going that direction of slow growth or even decline, sadly. Good luck to you on the job and house-front! Stretch those legs! 

24 minutes ago, chkadea said:

I'm looking out west as well - Portland was pretty fun, and maybe I'm odd for thinking this, but it felt like a very small, comfortable city. Wouldn't mind living there for a bit. Seems like the midwest is just going that direction of slow growth or even decline, sadly. Good luck to you on the job and house-front! Stretch those legs! 

Thanks! Best of luck to you and your job search as well.

1 hour ago, chkadea said:

Thanks! It's just weird how hard it is to find a job, when I have good references and had a good GPA coming out - them's the times I guess! And civil engineering (the boring one). Detroit is good for that, but trying to make it out of Michigan!

It'll be nice to get out from under the thumb of debt I bet :) Although expensive and can be a pain, I find it fun working on that sort of thing, as far as decorating/improving.

You may already know or be doing this but having just gone through the process I can say that internal referrals seem to be the best bet. Response and follow-ups were just generally better and a lot of recruiters or hiring managers told me they get enough applicants through referrals that they rarely do anything with the generals unless they really have a stand-out. In fact, a lot of employees said it was literally impossible to get in the door without an internal referral, even when the people in charge of that process said otherwise. 

This is the design industry, so not engineering, but possibly some parallels. It can be frustrating. Good luck!

31 minutes ago, BuzzersonKillwell said:

You may already know or be doing this but having just gone through the process I can say that internal referrals seem to be the best bet. Response and follow-ups were just generally better and a lot of recruiters or hiring managers told me they get enough applicants through referrals that they rarely do anything with the generals unless they really have a stand-out. In fact, a lot of employees said it was literally impossible to get in the door without an internal referral, even when the people in charge of that process said otherwise. 

This is the design industry, so not engineering, but possibly some parallels. It can be frustrating. Good luck!

Thank you! Definitely parallels for any job, and as I do apply for graphic design/marketing jobs as well, your insight is always appreciated - and that goes for everyone I've met here for that matter!

I have been attempting to go that route for a few companies, just not many avenues towards what I'm pursuing. My one in I did have with a civil company in Detroit was through an uncle, but nepotism shot that in the foot (which is funny, as that is how many seem to get jobs in the engineering field there).

@Thomas³

compare everything between the two jobs too!

i ended up taking the second of two job offers that was $2/hr less than my other offer because I liked the staff/bosses better, it ended up having slightly better benefits, I can make a little bit of commission that kind of makes it up to me, but is significantly further away.

13 hours ago, chkadea said:

Morning @GHOSTDRONES @KingTacoMunster @Thomas³ !

How're you fine gentlemen doing today?

I never owned Princess Mononoke, but I have that and Spirited Away on loan from my library right now because I had a hankering to watch something beautiful.

And on that topic, The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness was fantastic as well. Really enjoyed seeing the process Miyazaki and crew go through.

Better now Dea... thanks for asking.

I have discussed my Miyazaki love in the past... Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa... so good.

5 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Just left the tattoo shop and made an appt for Thursday at 6pm...super excite.

Nice! I have gotten 4 since the end of October (all small), which were all pretty spontaneous. That moment sitting in the chair as the artist is finishing setting up is such a great feeling to me.

7 hours ago, Snaggle Von Swift said:

Nice! I have gotten 4 since the end of October (all small), which were all pretty spontaneous. That moment sitting in the chair as the artist is finishing setting up is such a great feeling to me.

Awesome..after my right sleeve was done, i didn't get any for years. Then a couple years ago I started on my leg sleeve (knee down to foot and which I still need to finish) but now I've gotten 2 since august and about to get a 3rd so hope the pace stays up. Figured from now on for Christmas, birthday, father's day and anniversaries I'll just ask for tattoos haha. Nothing better than that final wipe of clearing all the extra ink, gives me goosebumps every time

7 hours ago, Snaggle Von Swift said:

double post

Edited by KingTacoMunster

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic