18 hours ago, tarzioo_ said:

Hey! I was just in Portland a few days ago.  I wish I planned it better and reached out to hang out.  next time for sure.  I would love to visit again, Portland is as amazing as everyone makes it out to be

yo!

Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely let me know next time you're here. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Anyone here do their own car work? Was just quoted $280 for front brakes and rotors, which are a hell of a lot cheaper if I buy them myself. Watched a ton of youtube videos, and it looks easy, but they are brakes so don't want to fuck it up. 

I've done my own brakes in the past, and to be honest....fuck that. I'm not super handy (though I did fix my ice maker yesterday) but brakes are a full on pain in the ass. I would much rather pay someone to do it.

4 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I've done my own brakes in the past, and to be honest....fuck that. I'm not super handy (though I did fix my ice maker yesterday) but brakes are a full on pain in the ass. I would much rather pay someone to do it.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've done other work, my sway bar links and that was a huge pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

Felt the same way when I replaced a front headlight bulb a few weeks ago.

I need to do this today too. It's so fucking annoying in my car though.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:53 AM, Thomas³ said:

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've done other work, my sway bar links and that was a huge pain in the ass.

I need to do this today too. It's so fucking annoying in my car though.

Ha. Yeah. I have an 07 Lexus. I had to remove part of the coolant tube to the reservoir.  I had to pop out a small panel. Then loosen a harness from a bulb and screw the bulb out the harness. Only took an hour on two different occasions (bought the bulb wrong the first time). Youtube videos, man.

I'm in the middle of a huge car project. I bought a totaled BMW M3 and I'm swapping over EVERYTHING into my standard sedan all because I really wanted an M3, but I like sedans more than coupes and I wanted to build a "sleeper". 

I'm learning a lot of patience, but the project is almost done. I'm super excited about it.  Here's a build thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=568457 

Ended up taking it to the shop today. $650 for front brakes/rotors, tie-rod ends and a brake flush. Not terrible, since they are all genuine honda parts. tie-rods ends went up since I last looked. I also paid them $15 to put in the headlight since it was at the shop. I'll pay $4 to avoid the aggravation of doing it.

Need to take in back in a month or two for rears. Brakes are at 40%, but the rotors are badly rusted and corroded.  

My serpentine belt is pretty loud when it's wet or humid out, which I know it probably needs replaced soon. However it's only 2 years old and only has 15K on it. Replace or dress?

Edited by Thomas³

8 hours ago, Youinreverse said:

I'm in the middle of a huge car project. I bought a totaled BMW M3 and I'm swapping over EVERYTHING into my standard sedan all because I really wanted an M3, but I like sedans more than coupes and I wanted to build a "sleeper". 

I'm learning a lot of patience, but the project is almost done. I'm super excited about it.  Here's a build thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=568457 

That's awesome, I wish I had those skills. There is a non-running RSX close to me for $700 I've debated buying for parts and to strip the panels to fix the rust on mine.

2 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

That's awesome, I wish I had those skills. There is a non-running RSX close to me for $700 I've debated buying for parts and to strip the panels to fix the rust on mine.

If you can get it for cheap and you've got the space to store it, you can make some good money parting a car out. I paid $4,100 after all the auction fees for the M3 and I've made back about $3,000 so far, and that was without selling any of the Engine/Transmission/Suspension components. I've still got a ton of parts to sell from that car, plus all the parts I pulled out of my car to install the M3 parts. I should be able to get at least another $2-3,000 out of the rest of it. 

Considering an engine alone would have cost me $3-6,000, I've been able to do this project for relatively cheap.

24 minutes ago, Youinreverse said:

If you can get it for cheap and you've got the space to store it, you can make some good money parting a car out. I paid $4,100 after all the auction fees for the M3 and I've made back about $3,000 so far, and that was without selling any of the Engine/Transmission/Suspension components. I've still got a ton of parts to sell from that car, plus all the parts I pulled out of my car to install the M3 parts. I should be able to get at least another $2-3,000 out of the rest of it. 

Considering an engine alone would have cost me $3-6,000, I've been able to do this project for relatively cheap.

That's awesome. I really want to learn more about cars and how to work on them.That's cool you'll make a profit on it too. Will follow that thread to see the final product.

I don't use my garage, except when it snows, so I have a spot for it. I also have room in my drive I can put it.

I still need struts, which are so damn expensive, then it'll be like new... besides the body rust and oxidized paint.

Edited by Thomas³

I replaced a serpentine belt once...in a mall parking lot that was inexplicably filled with sand in the windest weather I've ever experienced. It was hell.

Unrelated: today I learned my 66 year old father is dating someone young enough that it'd be weird (to me) if I dated her. Like, she's in her early-mid 20s. He wouldn't tell me her age, but she's in her last year of a bachelor's degree...and my little sister got her bachelor's like 5-6 years ago. I hope I never have to meet her because I'll be unable to not say "What the fuck? Stop."

Motherfucker has a (step)granddaughter older than this girl.

Super bummed about Charles Bradley got to see him live luckily, was a class act

I'm really lukewarm on this year for music, have only liked a handful of new releases been mostly listening to older music: soul, and british folk rock mostly, and a ton of Jawbreaker and Minutemen. 

9 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Super bummed about Charles Bradley got to see him live luckily, was a class act

I'm really lukewarm on this year for music, have only liked a handful of new releases been mostly listening to older music: soul, and british folk rock mostly, and a ton of Jawbreaker and Minutemen. 

Same here about Charles Bradley. I was supposed to see him again a couple months ago opening for The Roots, but it was one of the dates he canceled. I'm glad I got to see him once though.

Have you listened to Laetitia Sadier's new album yet? I saw her live a couple months ago and it was incredible. I'm a sucker for anything Stereolab related though. 

3 minutes ago, Youinreverse said:

Same here about Charles Bradley. I was supposed to see him again a couple months ago opening for The Roots, but it was one of the dates he canceled. I'm glad I got to see him once though.

Have you listened to Laetitia Sadier's new album yet? I saw her live a couple months ago and it was incredible. I'm a sucker for anything Stereolab related though. 

I have not yet, I'm slacking. I've unloaded some of my records lately trying to save money to move back to colorado but I won't let the Stereolab go. Saw a sealed copy of Chemical Chords in chicago just couldn't drop $45 on not my favorite album of theirs. Did see BTS play your avatar front to back at Riot Fest it was awesome, I'm going to have to get a copy at some point. Like I said trying to slow down buying to a minimum at the moment

57 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

I have not yet, I'm slacking. I've unloaded some of my records lately trying to save money to move back to colorado but I won't let the Stereolab go. Saw a sealed copy of Chemical Chords in chicago just couldn't drop $45 on not my favorite album of theirs. Did see BTS play your avatar front to back at Riot Fest it was awesome, I'm going to have to get a copy at some point. Like I said trying to slow down buying to a minimum at the moment

Why the move back to CO? I thought you hated it there. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic