What I'm getting at is, you're not losing money if you sell it before most people realize it's being repressed. Sure, you'd have to act fast, but it's not difficult by any means. Sometimes (though in the case of a record that's 10+ years old, probably not) the resale value actually goes up between when you get it and when you sell it. Though yes, I do see what you mean in other cases, it's not terribly hard to break even on something if you're desperate to own it.

I can see your point, but at this point with represses coming so quickly one after another, I doubt there are too many releases people on this site are interested in that will have time to accumulate value like that.aybe I'm just too nice a guy too, in that I drop my price when I know something is being reissued. I'm not going to screw someone else over just to get top dollar for something that is going to see a significant price drop.

Didn't know where to ask this but I was in a local shop today and found Down on the Upside by Soundgarden for $80. I asked the dude working if he would trade that for my copy of Farmhouse by Phish which goes for a bit more than the Soundgarden record. He was also telling me he had people coming in looking for Phish records a few days ago so I'm pretty sure they would only benefit from it. I'm going back Saturday when the owner will be there - if he doesn't do the trade flat out should I just walk away from it? I mean I could sell the Phish record on sleazebay then just use that money to buy it but I'd rather spend $80 on something a little better especially since everything these days is getting a repress.

I can see your point, but at this point with represses coming so quickly one after another, I doubt there are too many releases people on this site are interested in that will have time to accumulate value like that.aybe I'm just too nice a guy too, in that I drop my price when I know something is being reissued. I'm not going to screw someone else over just to get top dollar for something that is going to see a significant price drop.

Accidental down vote there. Someone fix that for me!

Didn't know where to ask this but I was in a local shop today and found Down on the Upside by Soundgarden for $80. I asked the dude working if he would trade that for my copy of Farmhouse by Phish which goes for a bit more than the Soundgarden record. He was also telling me he had people coming in looking for Phish records a few days ago so I'm pretty sure they would only benefit from it. I'm going back Saturday when the owner will be there - if he doesn't do the trade flat out should I just walk away from it? I mean I could sell the Phish record on sleazebay then just use that money to buy it but I'd rather spend $80 on something a little better especially since everything these days is getting a repress.

I don't think he'll do a straight trade on it, but it depends on which you'd rather have. You're probably better off selling Farmhouse to buy it.

Didn't know where to ask this but I was in a local shop today and found Down on the Upside by Soundgarden for $80. I asked the dude working if he would trade that for my copy of Farmhouse by Phish which goes for a bit more than the Soundgarden record. He was also telling me he had people coming in looking for Phish records a few days ago so I'm pretty sure they would only benefit from it. I'm going back Saturday when the owner will be there - if he doesn't do the trade flat out should I just walk away from it? I mean I could sell the Phish record on sleazebay then just use that money to buy it but I'd rather spend $80 on something a little better especially since everything these days is getting a repress.

I would think the shop would go for a straight trade.  1st presses are hard to come by, without using discogs or the bay.   Don't forget about the albums being repressed recently.  Though, since we are speaking of Phish, I don't think it would have any affect.  I know my shop would take you up on the trade.  

I'd buy an OG, enjoy it, and sell it if a reissue happens.

you might as well rent one off of someone you know, because that is what you'd be doing if you exercise this option.

imo, just because something is reissued or pressed for a 4th time, doesn't mean the OP will go down in value.  it's all about quality after that.

i walked by garage at my local mall yesterday and thought of you

People send me pictures of Garage all the time and go "ARE YOU HERE?!"

I think I'm married to my job now.

This was a late response. I have bruises on my throat. Time for me to move to the old people section at shows. (except Marina, I see four Marina shows in less than a month you guys.)

People send me pictures of Garage all the time and go "ARE YOU HERE?!"

I think I'm married to my job now.

This was a late response. I have bruises on my throat. Time for me to move to the old people section at shows. (except Marina, I see four Marina shows in less than a month you guys.)

Bruises on your throat sounds like a rough shot. What did go to see?

Bruises on your throat sounds like a rough shot. What did go to see?

The Front Bottoms at Irving Plaza.

I got pushed to 2nd row, which would have been cool if their fans weren't the type of assholes who pull out your hair and rest their elbows on your head. I almost made it the whole show in that position but I eventually just fell back because everything hurt so bad and my head was killing me from the hair ripping.

Like why is that necessary?

I wasn't even the type of fan who was really annoying, throwing their head back and shoving my hair in people's mouths (something I also witnessed happen). My hair did not deserve to be ripped out of my head and I did not deserve to keep getting elbowed in the throat.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic