Yeah, I always use the sidewalk here, I've been run off the road a time or two too many. I'll go between 5-15 miles every night.

I don't use sidewalks. It is illegal in certain states. Plus I fucking hate when people ride on the sidewalks and expect people walking to get out of the way. It infuriates me to no end. Bicycles follow the same laws as cars, yet people in cars don't give a fuck! Haha. I've been hit by a car twice. I still bike, but I'm WAY more cautious than I use to be. I was even pretty damn cautious back then, but I didn't realize how oblivious drivers are to bikes unfortunately.

this is seriously so scary. i'm glad you were able to move fast to avoid getting hit!

my bf is an avid road cyclist. i get so anxious when he goes on his rides. the roads by us are windy and the shoulders barely exist. he got hit by an SUV a few years back and somehow made it out unscathed. ugh i get so worried just thinking about it.

Yeah, and I actually have it pretty lucky cause PDX is bike friendly. Unfortunately it doesn't make the dumb ones any less dumb. I've known a few people who have died while biking. Shit is no joke. It just takes one idiot. Driving is just as dangerous when going 80mpg down the freeway, but at least you have airbags, and whatnot. On a bike you just have pure luck.

Does he go on country roads? Cause those are actually the safest. If he goes with groups that frequent the same route in time everyone will know to always look out for them. That's how it was while I lived in Virginia. Especially on Sundays. Sunday was back road cycling day, so you always were on the lookout for them around turns and stuff.

I don't use sidewalks. It is illegal in certain states. Plus I fucking hate when people ride on the sidewalks and expect people walking to get out of the way. It infuriates me to no end. Bicycles follow the same laws as cars, yet people in cars don't give a fuck! Haha. I've been hit by a car twice. I still bike, but I'm WAY more cautious than I use to be. I was even pretty damn cautious back then, but I didn't realize how oblivious drivers are to bikes unfortunately.

I always get out of the way for other people. I have a mountain bike, so I have no problem hopping the curb into the rocks. There's no law strictly prohibiting bikes on sidewalks in AZ, but police can regulate all aspects of bikes (according to what I can find). I think I'd rather get a stern talking to from the police something akin to "and don't you do that again!" and continue to do it since there's no law against it than be hit. I make sure to leave room and get out of the way of people walking. The streets/sidewalks aren't near as busy here either. I may see one person the whole time I'm out. I usually go around 8PM or 6AM depending on the day. I'm not downtown either, so there's really no foot traffic.

You get tickets for riding on the sidewalk here, if you're older than 15. Same with no helmet or lights on a bike. I've never seen anyone ticketed for riding on the sidewalk, but a ton of people for no lights. My buddy got 3 or 4 before he moved to Portland.

I have lights, but I don't have a helmet

Danger! Always wear a helmet, dude. I know it isn't cool, but when you've been hit a couple time/had a helmet save you from splattering your brains all I've the sidewalk you know it's worth looking like a dork.

I straight up cracked a helmet down the middle one time when I got knocked off my bike. Probably also had a slight concussion...but I had to get to work and didn't have insurance.

B-Town (where I'm at) is a bike town.  College kids from the east coast are everywhere for 9 mos of a year.  Bike lanes are everywhere.  A lot of pro teams train here, cause we're quite hilly.  I've got a modded (straight bar) Fuji from '83.  It has saved my ass quite a few times with not having racing bars.  Around here, it's not smart to be racing position like you're on a mission.  Best beware. 

Way to be on your toes Dave (M)  :)

Danger! Always wear a helmet, dude. I know it isn't cool, but when you've been hit a couple time/had a helmet save you from splattering your brains all I've the sidewalk you know it's worth looking like a dork.

I straight up cracked a helmet down the middle one time when I got knocked off my bike. Probably also had a slight concussion...but I had to get to work and didn't have insurance.

Agreed.

I have lights, but I don't have a helmet

Check out Bern helmets. They are great and definitely less dorky than a lot out there: http://www.amazon.com/Bern-Unlimited-Brentwood-Summer-Helmet/dp/B00FL7INQA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1434404098&sr=8-4&keywords=brentwood+bern

Here in Florida...especially in the Ft. Lauderdale area and Palm Beach, cyclists are complete assholes. They ride as if they own the road even when they have their own dedicated bike lanes. I don't condone vehicular violence...but if you're cycling like an asshole and essentially getting into the lanes with oncoming traffic (or rather flowing w/ the traffic), then if you get struck by a car it's you're own damn fault. 

That isn't why I don't have one. They're expensive and I hardly ever can find one that fits my bigass melon head right.

Yeah, and I actually have it pretty lucky cause PDX is bike friendly. Unfortunately it doesn't make the dumb ones any less dumb. I've known a few people who have died while biking. Shit is no joke. It just takes one idiot. Driving is just as dangerous when going 80mpg down the freeway, but at least you have airbags, and whatnot. On a bike you just have pure luck.

Does he go on country roads? Cause those are actually the safest. If he goes with groups that frequent the same route in time everyone will know to always look out for them. That's how it was while I lived in Virginia. Especially on Sundays. Sunday was back road cycling day, so you always were on the lookout for them around turns and stuff.

He does go on the country roads. But the people around here still zip around them because we're overpopulated and people use the country roads to beat the traffic back up on the highways. We're moving back to my hometown next year so I'm worried about his bike route once hes forced to go out there bc its not very road cyclist friendly. Small beach town with lots of tourists, etc.

I think I'm going to quit my 2nd job already. The little bit of extra money is not worth being tired all the time. Already too stressed out at my day job.

I think I'm going to quit my 2nd job already. The little bit of extra money is not worth being tired all the time. Already too stressed out at my day job.

You sound like me but I have this wedding to pay for. I am applying for a new job so if I get a big enough raise I won't have to work two

I don't need 2 jobs, just want the extra cash to pay my loans off faster. It's turning into extra stress I don't need though. My first job is stressful enough lately, and this one is just as stressful as when I left it 8 months ago.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic