Dumb question, but where do I go to find a recruiter ?

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure since they hit me up without me even looking (still not sure how that ended up happening). Maybe just search for IT consulting firms or recruiting agencies? That would be my best guess unfortunately :-/

I'm not very fluent in any of them yet but I know the very basics of

Visual Basic

C++

Java

C#

HTML/css

I took script programming which i was really excited about but it was a complete waste. The teacher talked only of himself and there were no tests or assignments and at the last few days he had us copy his code for a final project and we just had to design a 5 webpages which could all link to each other. It had a lot of potential but the teacher was awful.

And then I've taken basics in networking and Basics in hardware and software troubleshooting but I really didn't grasp that much from that class. It seemed like a lot to take in with just one semester.

I would say I'm a junior at this point. I have a lot of classes ahead of me but it's basically just programming from now on.

And then I've taken classes on photoshop, flash, access which were fun but I don't know if they are classes that would help ?

The problem is that I'm a beginner with all of it so I'm not very hirable until i graduate. Im still not really sure what my dream job would be, but hopefully that's something I can learn once I get closer to graduating ?

This semester I'm taking more Java, mobile app development, Unix/Linux ,computer illustrator and I'm going to try and get into another programming class which I believe is coding more in c++.

Sounds like you have a really solid basis. Maybe if you got an internship or something under your belt you'd be even more marketable to potential employers. Same with any sort of certifications you can get. It's all about experience in the end. A lot of people think that a degree and only a degree will get them where they want, but that's not the case.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure since they hit me up without me even looking (still not sure how that ended up happening). Maybe just search for IT consulting firms or recruiting agencies? That would be my best guess unfortunately :-/

I would really like to get my foot in the door so I was going to try for a student job ? I honestly don't know enough yet to try for a real IT job. My current job is working as a vendor in a grocery store so it's not even close to what I want in my life which may be why I've been so down lately.

Sounds like you have a really solid basis. Maybe if you got an internship or something under your belt you'd be even more marketable to potential employers. Same with any sort of certifications you can get. It's all about experience in the end. A lot of people think that a degree and only a degree will get them where they want, but that's not the case.

I would definitely like an internship but to be honest, my grades aren't impressive. The only time I got straight A's was when I didn't work. Last week I worked about 70 hours so my grades always suffer as a result. Probably not a good enough excuse though, excuses aren't going to get me a job.

I would definitely like an internship but to be honest, my grades aren't impressive. The only time I got straight A's was when I didn't work. Last week I worked about 70 hours so my grades always suffer as a result. Probably not a good enough excuse though, excuses aren't going to get me a job.

Don't let your current job get you down. Ultimately, it's not a representation of your potential. I had a student job in the IT organization at my university, which helped a lot for building my resume.

And my grades weren't all that great either in school. I got a degree in geography, too. Your degree and/or grades aren't an ultimate decider of what kind of job you can get!!!

Don't let your current job get you down. Ultimately, it's not a representation of your potential. I had a student job in the IT organization at my university, which helped a lot for building my resume.

And my grades weren't all that great either in school. I got a degree in geography, too. Your degree and/or grades aren't an ultimate decider of what kind of job you can get!!!

This is encouraging. I'm turning 30 in a few months and I just feel like I'll never get to where I'm trying to go so any positive advice like this helps. It's been really rough lately.

This is encouraging. I'm turning 30 in a few months and I just feel like I'll never get to where I'm trying to go so any positive advice like this helps. It's been really rough lately.

I had a rough few months myself while I was on the hunt. You'll get to where you want to be. Sometimes it just takes time and baby steps. Build a solid foundation like you are and build up your experience and you'll do just fine.

I had a rough few months myself while I was on the hunt. You'll get to where you want to be. Sometimes it just takes time and baby steps. Build a solid foundation like you are and build up your experience and you'll do just fine.

Thank you for the chat. I do feel better. I've been acting like a child lately with my crying and I'm sure I've been driving everyone around me crazy so this chat helped. Thanks.

I'm not very fluent in any of them yet but I know the very basics of

Visual Basic

C++

Java

C#

HTML/css

I took script programming which i was really excited about but it was a complete waste. The teacher talked only of himself and there were no tests or assignments and at the last few days he had us copy his code for a final project and we just had to design a 5 webpages which could all link to each other. It had a lot of potential but the teacher was awful.

And then I've taken basics in networking and Basics in hardware and software troubleshooting but I really didn't grasp that much from that class. It seemed like a lot to take in with just one semester.

I would say I'm a junior at this point. I have a lot of classes ahead of me but it's basically just programming from now on.

And then I've taken classes on photoshop, flash, access which were fun but I don't know if they are classes that would help ?

The problem is that I'm a beginner with all of it so I'm not very hirable until i graduate. Im still not really sure what my dream job would be, but hopefully that's something I can learn once I get closer to graduating ?

This semester I'm taking more Java, mobile app development, Unix/Linux ,computer illustrator and I'm going to try and get into another programming class which I believe is coding more in c++.

I just got my first girl crush.

Man, I haven't done any sort of college, and it makes me feel like a loser. I just don't know what I would major in. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money at a college with the hope of stumbling into something I'd like. I've been thinking about getting into something like HTML/Graphic Design/Programming. I'm just not sure though.

:(

Man, I haven't done any sort of college, and it makes me feel like a loser. I just don't know what I would major in. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money at a college with the hope of stumbling into something I'd like. I've been thinking about getting into something like HTML/Graphic Design/Programming. I'm just not sure though.

teach yourself that stuff in your spare time.

The job I currently have is something I enjoyed as a hobby and taught myself enough to make it a career.

Dad knows.

I'm about to finish my first ever semester (graduated HS ten years ago) and I won't be going back. I've been teaching myself web development for a few months and school is slow going and too structured.

You can find a thousand resources to learn design or programming online and chose your own language to learn as opposed to what the school chooses for you, and go at your own pace.

I hit up udemy sales for my basics and just got a tuts+ subscription to take small 'courses' on random shit. Bought my boyfriend a book on Python and he created a small game the first couple of days reading it. And it doesn't hurt that I can just bug the fuck out of him to learn anything Linux. There's a million other resources out there.

Self learning is the way to go for what you're considering.

I'd start with photoshop. there you'll learn about the dimensions, pixels, resolution. cutting. slicing. the basic foundation or building blocks of everything web and design. illustrator is a key player but I think PS is a bigger necessity to know. for now. I'd stay up hours on end. learning by failing.

it's $10 / month from the Adobe cloud site.

Dumb question, but where do I go to find a recruiter ?

Are you on LinkedIn? If you build that profile up you could make some connections and probably get some interest from recruiters and those people. It annoys me when I get messages because I'm not looking for a job, but I imagine it's good when you are looking or open to something else.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic