Man, I haven't done any sort of college, and it makes me feel like a loser. I just don't know what I would major in. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money at a college with the hope of stumbling into something I'd like. I've been thinking about getting into something like HTML/Graphic Design/Programming. I'm just not sure though.

:(

That's okay! Don't beat yourself up, honestly I feel like a loser too. I mean I'm spending more than the price of a house (in loans I might add) to go to art school, crazy huh? I've heard this said many times throughout my life most people don't find themselves or what they're passionate about until their mid 20s. There's so much to major in, man you'll find something for you, just ask yourself what field of work would you be happy with waking up every morning and doing. It seems like you have a thing for programming now, and that's great because that's something that you can not only teach yourself but is probably offered at the community college level so you can save yourself some $$ in the process. Life's hard and confusing don't get yourself down because you're going at your own pace and not doing whatever one else is doing.

(I hope this advice helps)

Thanks Eric. Good luck with school!

Real talk, Jared. I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until a couple years ago. You have to find what you love and pursue that. I still have my doubts sometimes that this is what I'll always want to do. (In my mind I'm a blacksmith in some medieval fantasy world, making magical swords and shit.) The thing is...yeah, you might waste some time and find out you want to do something else, but as long as you're trying in some way to figure out your place, you aren't a loser.

I spent most of my 20s working in coffee shops, being poor, doing drugs, chasing ladies...you know figuring myself out. Having fun. When I finally started getting things straight in my mind I knew that I liked helping people and went from there.

Although...there is a place here that offers black smithing classes on the weekends...

Tl;dr: Spend some time with yourself and figure out what you're passionate about. Then figure out what you want to do for work.

I got stuck on the early shift again, and once again my boss told me as she was leaving. The extra hour really makes it hard to wake up for some reason.

Dumb question, but where do I go to find a recruiter ?

Register with places like robert half technology, kelly, teksystems, etc. There are a lot of IT recruiting firms out there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Where would be the best starting place for something like this? There's so many different programming languages and design tools. I guess I just don't know where the best place to start would be.

codeacademy.com has good introductory courses to the most common web languages.

With Design, start with type! Get a good book on it maybe. It's the backbone of design, even on the web. Maybe especially on the web.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Where would be the best starting place for something like this? There's so many different programming languages and design tools. I guess I just don't know where the best place to start would be.

If you're not sure what you want to end up doing (web, app, game, software development) don't worry too much about which language you should learn and pick one and give it a try. C is the lowest(?) level, closer to computer language and I think Ruby is the highest level closer to human language. They all have pros and cons so there isn't a holy grail of languages.

Play the game Code Combat.

If you want, I can hook you up with my text books from this semester. I have HTML & CSS Comprehensive and Photoshop: The Missing Manual. I have a Dreamweaver book too if you want it.

I have to eat lunch at 11:15 today, which is way too early. I don't get how anyone can do that everyday, then work until 4. Maybe I just eat too much.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic