I gave it a listen when it came out and all I heard was 'radio rock'; definitely wasn't feeling it. Not a Danger Mouse, huh? Have you heard this: https://open.spotify.com/album/2nBo5nFoszkjuY0bxv1y0A

Isn't it weird how that can happen? Like, an album that you don't necessarily love anymore, but it opened the gate to so many other bands / albums that it might have to go on the list.

Yeah, it's radio rock for sure. I feel like it was all too much Danger Mouse influence. They had an entire album written before hand and scrapped it to work with him. I think Sea of Air was the only surviving song.

I have not heard that, I'll check it out.

It is really weird, like Sublime is on the list but I can't stand them at all anymore. They opened the gates for so many other bands for me in grade school though.

Top 10:

The Cure - Disintegration

Converge - Jane Doe

The Saddest Landscape - You Will Not Survive

End of a Year - You Are Beneath Me

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

Explosions in the Sky - How Strange, Innocence

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard

Shai Hulud - Hearts Once Nourished With Hope and Compassion

Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land

Pretty bold statement with that TYS considering it only came out last year. It also doesn't count cause you're not under 20. So all your albums need to be over 5 years old (makes it more interesting that way).

I will, however, not make anyone number their list / do any order of importance. I'm not that evil.

Not correct! It was released by a label in 2014. It was released on Bandcamp in 2012, around which I discovered it.

Minus EITS being complete garbage. Especially when there are so many instrumental / post rock albums to chose from.

Emotions trump all though. I listened to that EITS album a LOT during a very important time in my life. That album is my own personal journey every time I spin it.

But yeah, I know there are way better postrock bands. God is an Astronaut and Caspian (since they were both mentioned recently) are both a shitload better. BUT that fucking album.

Besides, just because an album is older than 5 years doesn't mean I've been listening to it for 5 or more years. In 2009~2010, the only albums on that list I even knew about was Sol Eye Sea I, The Sound of Perseverance, and In A Flesh Aquarium. I didn't seriously get into music until I was in my junior/senior year of high school, so any album I discovered over 5 years ago I don't even listen to anymore and wouldn't consider them my favorite albums by any stretch. I'm going solely by how much I've enjoyed it since I discovered it, is what I'm getting at. The album's age is an interesting challenge to stipulate, I find it a little arbitrary imo. Realistically, though, I'd agree that anything released this year shouldn't make an all-time favorites list. The main exception is that Adult Jazz album, which came out last year for sure. That album is just so unique and captivating, and I'd definitely boldly say that it will stay with me for a long time. I can already feel that effect it's having on me.

Emotions trump all though. I listened to that EITS album a LOT during a very important time in my life. That album is my own personal journey every time I spin it.

But yeah, I know there are way better postrock bands. God is an Astronaut and Caspian (since they were both mentioned recently) are both a shitload better. BUT that fucking album.

That's fair. If you're ever up for post rock recommendations (other than Caspian and GIAA) I'm down to send you some. I'm already in the midst of making a post rock playlist for someone else on here anyway.

Besides, just because an album is older than 5 years doesn't mean I've been listening to it for 5 or more years. In 2009~2010, the only albums on that list I even knew about was Sol Eye Sea I, The Sound of Perseverance, and In A Flesh Aquarium. I didn't seriously get into music until I was in my junior/senior year of high school, so any album I discovered over 5 years ago I don't even listen to anymore and wouldn't consider them my favorite albums by any stretch. I'm going solely by how much I've enjoyed it since I discovered it, is what I'm getting at. The album's age is an interesting challenge to stipulate, I find it a little arbitrary imo. Realistically, though, I'd agree that anything released this year shouldn't make an all-time favorites list. The main exception is that Adult Jazz album, which came out last year for sure. That album is just so unique and captivating, and I'd definitely boldly say that it will stay with me for a long time. I can already feel that effect it's having on me.

I tossed that variable out there cause I find it more challenging to list albums that haven't come out in the past few years. I'm not saying they don't have an emotional connection because of it, but I just wanted to see a top 10 of albums that have been out for a while. There are a few albums that have come out in the past few years that I would love to put on my top 10, but like I said, I put that 5yr rule in place to make you think more. Then again, I have almost 10 years on you, so who knows, maybe the 5yr rule could be reduced some depending on age. This isn't like some test or anything. It was more so just out of curiosity.

(Not even touching on how when I saw TYS with Coheed for the IKSSE:3 tour, I thought TYS was complete garbage live.)

Oh fuck.

So true.

Right now I'm listening to this band 'cause they thirst-followed me on Instagram but holy shit I'm really glad I gave them a shot. I'm just now finishing up the first song.

http://foreverlosingsleep.bandcamp.com/

As far as top 10 fav albums right now... I'll list a few that come to my mind at the moment, in no order:

Colors - BTBAM

Juturna - Circa Survive

The Sound of Perseverance - Death

Illuminate - Lydia

All Is Violent, All Is Bright - God is an Astronaut

Sol Eye Sea I - Irepress

Gist Is - Adult Jazz

Maps Of Non-Existent Places - Thank You Scientist

Somewhere At The Bottom... - La Dispute

Fas - Deathspell Omega

LOVE LOVE TYS!

TYS wasn't the best live experience, no, hahaha. Their album is fucking great, though. To be fair, their first tour with Coheed was the first time they'd ever toured, so maybe their live performance will better as time goes on.

And yeah, I'm sure the 5yr rule would be easier if I were older. There are maybe some albums I don't like as much as TYS and Adult Jazz that could fit in there to follow the rule (Doppelgänger, a Lantlôs album, to name a few).

TYS wasn't the best live experience, no, hahaha. Their album is fucking great, though. To be fair, their first tour with Coheed was the first time they'd ever toured, so maybe their live performance will better as time goes on.

And yeah, I'm sure the 5yr rule would be easier if I were older. There are maybe some albums I don't like as much as TYS and Adult Jazz that could fit in there to follow the rule (Doppelgänger, a Lantlôs album, to name a few).

I don't know how to measure that 5yr rule accordingly. I'm trying to think what my list was like at 20. I think it was pretty much the same as it is now. Dude, Lantlôs is fucking great. I really enjoyed Melting Sun.

I have not even heard of most of the bands on Darc's list.

I do plan on listening to albums by bands I haven't heard of from other people's lists.

That's what I was going to do as well.

I'm still curious to see everyone else's lists as well. Where is yours and Brians? 

I'm hoping that other people have some older stuff on their lists. I mean, shit.

I'm working on mine right now. I got distracted cause I was revisiting Mark Lanegan's The Winding Sheet.

Don't know if Brian has seen this conversation about top 10. I'm not sure if he is even here. I have headphones on and am blasting music. Haha.

And since you're bored, let's play the (in my opinion the hardest question to answer) game: top 10 favorite albums of all time.

Black Sabbath - S/T

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Sleep - Holy Mountain

Saves the Day - Through Being Cool

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell

Mount Eerie - 7 New Songs

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Neil Young - Harvest

The Sword - Gods of the Earth

Now.

If we can only choose one album per band...

Black Sabbath - S/T

Sleep - Holy Mountain

Saves the Day - Through Being Cool

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell

Mount Eerie - 7 New Songs

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Neil Young - Harvest

Pedro the Lion - Control

The Sword - Gods of the Earth

Weezer - Pinkerton

I know if I thought about this more it might slightly change...but this is probably pretty close.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic