Pixies - Doolittle

The Knife - Silent Shout

Pink Floyd - Animals

Sonic Youth - Goo or Dirty (honestly too close)

Guided By Voices - Propeller

Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream or Gish (again, too close)

Everclear - World Of Noise

Nirvana - Bleach

Cranberries - Everybody Else....

Alice in Chains - Dirt or Jar of Flies could easily take The Knife out.

FUCK. YES.

I back all of those albums so hard. I knew Bleach would be on there. <3

And yeah, I would take Alice over Knife too.

Oh, In Utero has to be there, too. In the Aeroplane as well...also Futures by JEW.

OH YUP.

And I wouldn't put any Jimmy Eat World on my list, but Futures is by far my favorite album by them. It would be on a top 50 for me for sure. Don't know exactly where, but god damn that album is fucking good. I was just talking to a chick about that album earlier actually. 23 is one of the songs that makes me feel all the feels. Like, god damn.

Also, I'm loving this topic. Small Talk ironically doesn't have enough music talks. I like hearing what you guys are into, and learning more about you. A Top 10 list can tell  you a lot about a person. Like how Blade is god damn lunatic for including MCR, and how I like Bruce a little bit more now. Haha.

Blue and Pinkerton too, but I feel like Blue has a bit of an edge over Pink because of Only in Dreams.

Also, the award for most overlooked record on my crazy broken-up list is The White Stripes' De Stijl.

Here goes my attempt at a top ten, in no particular order:

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II

Nirvana - In Utero

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Radiohead - OK Computer

The White Stripes - De Stijl

System of a Down - Hypnotize

Weezer - Blue

Jimmy Eat World - Futures

But there are so many honorable mentions...Pretty. Odd. is one of them, Siamese Dream is, Sgt. Pepper, Songs For the Deaf...this list may not even be accurate. Damn.

I almost feel embarrassed that every one of the albums I can think of is something that isn't unknown or whatever.

Nah, don't worry about that shit. My list isn't some secret underground ultra list, none of them have been so far! :)

When I was your age my list would have been gaaaaarbage, and in 10 years I might feel that way about this one. (Probably not though)

OH YUP.

And I wouldn't put any Jimmy Eat World on my list, but Futures is by far my favorite album by them. It would be on a top 50 for me for sure. Don't know exactly where, but god damn that album is fucking good. I was just talking to a chick about that album earlier actually. 23 is one of the songs that makes me feel all the feels. Like, god damn.

I was thinking you'd critique JEW for being a type of pop-punk. Futures got me through my first break-up and it was fucking rough. Yes, it was a high school thing, but relative to my current life experience, it was devastating. The record moves me to tears almost every time.

Blue and Pinkerton too, but I feel like Blue has a bit of an edge over Pink because of Only in Dreams.

Also, the award for most overlooked record on my crazy broken-up list is The White Stripes' De Stijl.

Nirvana - In Utero

Radiohead - OK Computer

Weezer - Blue

But there are so many honorable mentions...Pretty. Odd. is one of them, Siamese Dream is, Sgt. Pepper, Songs For the Deaf...this list may not even be accurate. Damn.

I back all of that except SOAD (never got into them).

Fuck yes Foo.

Fuck yes Weezer.

Fuck yes Jimmy.

Fuck yeah WS.

Fuck yeah Nirvana.

I'm really surprised you didn't include QOTSA on there, like, really fucking surprised.

Nirvana - In Utero

Radiohead - OK Computer

Weezer - Blue

That is a really decent list. It's a hell of a lot more eclectic and respectable than my list would have been 15 years ago.

Fuck yes Foo.

Fuck yes Weezer.

Fuck yes Jimmy.

Fuck yeah WS.

Fuck yeah Nirvana.

I'm really surprised you didn't include QOTSA on there, like, really fucking surprised.

I was debating in my head...

QOTSA...no, Meat Puppets...no, QOTSA...no, Meat Puppets.

Ten is a small number for a bunch of music lovers.

Also, SOAD is a bit of a polarizing entity. Not surprised when some people on here hate them, but other members defend them to this day.

That is a really decent list. It's a hell of a lot more eclectic and respectable than my list would have been 15 years ago.

I was really tempted to throw Kendrick Lamar's latest LP (holy fuck it's brilliant) in for a little genre diversity, but even felt like it was cheating since it's been out for less than a year.

Thanks for saying nice things about my music, though :)

I was thinking you'd critique JEW for being a type of pop-punk. Futures got me through my first break-up and it was fucking rough. Yes, it was a high school thing, but relative to my current life experience, it was devastating. The record moves me to tears almost every time.

I think we have very different definitions of pop punk because of our age difference. I don't see Jimmy Eat World fitting either of our definitions of the genre. I see it more as a great blend of alt rock / power pop / emo. Regardless of what genres or sub genres you want to throw then into, that band is undeniably fantastic. And I'm right there with you, dude. 23 just reminds me of all the bands break ups in my life, and sucker punches me in the face so hard. I remember breaking up with my girlfriend at the time after I found out she cheated on me. We were living together at the time, so I grabbed my records (not many at the time), my skateboard, and my car keys and got the fuck out of there. I plugged in my iPod and 23 came on. It hit my like a ton of bricks. Ever since, that song hurts to listen to, but I like that it does now.

Fuck yes Foo.

Fuck yes Weezer.

Fuck yes Jimmy.

Fuck yeah WS.

Fuck yeah Nirvana.

Gotta say I'm pretty partial to NMH's stuff too, honestly. I get annoyed by a lot of their fans though.

I was debating in my head...

QOTSA...no, Meat Puppets...no, QOTSA...no, Meat Puppets.

Ten is a small number for a bunch of music lovers.

Also, SOAD is a bit of a polarizing entity. Not surprised when some people on here hate them, but other members defend them to this day.

I can feel and understand that.

I just never got the appeal. Just one of those bands I didn't like, and didn't hate. They just weren't on my radar. Didn't get the hype by the die hard fans, but didn't understand why they were criticized so badly.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic