I think we have very different definitions of pop punk because of our age difference. I don't see Jimmy Eat World fitting either of our definitions of the genre. I see it more as a great blend of alt rock / power pop / emo. Regardless of what genres or sub genres you want to throw then into, that band is undeniably fantastic. And I'm right there with you, dude. 23 just reminds me of all the bands break ups in my life, and sucker punches me in the face so hard. I remember breaking up with my girlfriend at the time after I found out she cheated on me. We were living together at the time, so I grabbed my records (not many at the time), my skateboard, and my car keys and got the fuck out of there. I plugged in my iPod and 23 came on. It hit my like a ton of bricks. Ever since, that song hurts to listen to, but I like that it does now.

That story is like something out of a movie. Currently listening to the song because it was mentioned, and I can just feel the energy in that scene you described. Wow.

Gotta say I'm pretty partial to NMH's stuff too, honestly. I get annoyed by a lot of their fans though.

Any band that can be classified as "the most popular band that nobody has ever heard of" tends to have those fans. I like to put Brand New in that category. Maybe everyone on VC knows who they are, but how many regular non-music lovers do? 

And their fans are nuts. 

I can feel and understand that.

I just never got the appeal. Just one of those bands I didn't like, and didn't hate. They just weren't on my radar. Didn't get the hype by the die hard fans, but didn't understand why they were criticized so badly.

They're another one of those bands that I consider to be a victim of people only knowing "Chop Suey" and "B.Y.O.B." They have a ton of killer deep cuts.

15 years ago my list would have included chumbawamba and Aqua.

I don't know what would have been on mine, probably whatever cash money records act just put out an album.

My influential list actually feels like it is harder to do, because I'm trying to list the reasons why it was such an influential album to me at the time.

I understand completely. I made my list as stuff I like rather than what influences me (aside from how Matt said specifically to do so) because I hate having to explain myself for some of them

I mean, aside from The Colour and the Shape being the single most influential piece of ANYTHING to my life, other things on my list would include two A Day to Remember albums, All Time Low's Don't Panic, and Fall Out Boy's Infinity on High...which I'll defend to this day.

Both are a pain in the ass. I think influential is a little easier for me cause a lot of them happened all at once.

Mine were in phases, and I feel like every influential album kept turning me into the musical tastes I currently enjoy. It'd be easier if it was all in a close range. I can say for sure, Sgt Pepper is on there. It was the first tape my parents bought me when I was like 5 or 6, and I listened to it over and over until it wore out. If I never got that tape, I don't know if I would be who I am right now musically.

This just brought up an interesting side note to this conversation. Can you remember the first album someone ever gave you, and the first album you ever purchased yourself?

Mine were in phases, and I feel like every influential album kept turning me into the musical tastes I currently enjoy. It'd be easier if it was all in a close range. I can say for sure, Sgt Pepper is on there. It was the first tape my parents bought me when I was like 5 or 6, and I listened to it over and over until it wore out. If I never got that tape, I don't know if I would be who I am right now musically.

This just brought up an interesting side note to this conversation. Can you remember the first album someone ever gave you, and the first album you ever purchased yourself?

Album as in music in general, or album as in vinyl?

The first album someone 'gave' to me was The Beatles White Album. I using gave loosely because my Dad played it for me. I later on got my own copy.

The first album I bought with my own money was Nirvana's Nevermind on cassette. I think I was 8, and bought it with money I earned from doing yard work. My parents had no idea who Nirvana was so they weren't like "NO".

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic