That is a pretty tough situation Satan, and I can't really offer advise since I've never been in it. I'm sure you guys can make it work, a 2 hour drive is nothing.

Not very well. I'm an emotional wreck.

Story : So the girlfriend and I have been together 6 months and everything has been going off without a hitch. She's a corporate trainer at cheesecake factory, so when there's a store opening, she trains the staff. Anyway, she's pretty much the jack of all trades at her home location. Anything from hostess, server, bartender, manager support, etc...

Anyway, she brought up that corporate needs a manager at a store in cleveland, talked about a salary, etc... but didnt fill out the application yet and not to worry about anything.

Fast forward to last night :

She comes over, sits me down and tells me she got the job, and is moving in a week and a half. I couldn't be more happy for her because this has been a long term goal of hers for years.

What scares me is, the move. What's going to happen to us? We both stated that we still want this to work but i've never done a long distance thing. Maybe it's the shock of it all happening so quickly. Not having her so close is going to be a fucking nightmare. Yeah, 2 hours is nothing in comparison to what some people have to endure so I may come off as sounding petty or whatever. Don't care. I know every weekend I can leave work and be with her for the weekend and when/if we cross the bridge, I could definitely see us living together.

I know she's scared shitless as well but seems to have a better handle on this than I do.

Jobs are everywhere. What we have isn't. And that's why it's so tough.

Whoa. This is the first time I've ever posted here in the morning.

anyway, back to work.

That really sucks.  It's not like I can offer up some profound advice, it's just a shitty situation.  So I'll just say I hope that things work out best for y'all/

Not very well. I'm an emotional wreck.

Story : So the girlfriend and I have been together 6 months and everything has been going off without a hitch. She's a corporate trainer at cheesecake factory, so when there's a store opening, she trains the staff. Anyway, she's pretty much the jack of all trades at her home location. Anything from hostess, server, bartender, manager support, etc...

Anyway, she brought up that corporate needs a manager at a store in cleveland, talked about a salary, etc... but didnt fill out the application yet and not to worry about anything.

Fast forward to last night :

She comes over, sits me down and tells me she got the job, and is moving in a week and a half. I couldn't be more happy for her because this has been a long term goal of hers for years.

What scares me is, the move. What's going to happen to us? We both stated that we still want this to work but i've never done a long distance thing. Maybe it's the shock of it all happening so quickly. Not having her so close is going to be a fucking nightmare. Yeah, 2 hours is nothing in comparison to what some people have to endure so I may come off as sounding petty or whatever. Don't care. I know every weekend I can leave work and be with her for the weekend and when/if we cross the bridge, I could definitely see us living together.

I know she's scared shitless as well but seems to have a better handle on this than I do.

Jobs are everywhere. What we have isn't. And that's why it's so tough.

Whoa. This is the first time I've ever posted here in the morning.

anyway, back to work.

I wouldn't consider 2 hours that big of a distance and it really seems manageable. Other than that you both maybe can make a compromise and live together somewhere between both cities. Sure commuting would take longer, but if you think she's worth it (and vice versa) I don't see a problem in that.

Some pretty solid advice and encouragement from you guys. Im on lunch so i'll just keep it short and say now that I'm thinking rationally, this got a hell of a lot easier.

I can't give you profound advice, but I can tell you that ANYTHING is possible if you both want to work at it. Here's my proof:

I was stationed at my first duty station in the Army at Ft. Stewart, GA (very near Savannah). Exactly one month before spending a month in California for training, I met the woman I would marry. We knew it within hours of talking. That was it. Done. Problem: she was in Savannah for her grandmother's funeral, but lived in Connecticut. I am from GA, but was about to spend 13 of the next 14 months somewhere I couldn't casually leave. We met. She left. For one month we talked on the phone everyday. Then I went to Ft. Irwin Cali for training for a month. The day we returned I packed my stuff and took leave to Connecticut. It was great. One week with her. Then I returned to my base, did more training for deployment to Iraq. She came to GA once to meet my family. Then I left for the warzone (I'm exaggerating a little, it was relatively chill). Normally one gets 2 weeks around the middle of deployment to go home. I got stuck with 2 months after I arrived. So I flew home (to where my future wife lived, not my ACTUAL home) for a couple of weeks. Bought a ring. Proposed. Had a great time. Went back to 9 more months of Iraq. While in Iraq, I only ever communicated with her via telephone, IM, or really shitty, terrible Skype connection. That was the foundation of our relationship, fucking Skype. Needless to say, when I returned home we were wed, she moved to GA with me for 1.5 years. Once I separated from the Army I moved to Connecticut. Happy ending. I'm telling you all of this because you will find a way to make it work. My wife quit her job of 6 years to live with me temporarily in GA. She did hate that job, but all the same she left a good job with great benefits to be with me. One or both of you may have to make a sacrifice, but you will work it out. I have faith in you Satan (always have) ;)

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic