The Format's Dog Problems to be repressed in 2013

This is what I hate so much about Some Nights.

Who seriously thought turning an incredible voice into an intolerable voice was a good idea?

Did you guys see the fun. Austin City Limits performance? They discussed (rather in depth) the ideas behind their production. I can respect any band that takes an approach to recording a record the way they did. Even before hearing their own comments on ACL. It's not like you ever heard the band say "Oh man, what were we thinking about that production?"

It's an awesome record. A guilty pleasure, and an album that I scarcely listen to, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed their ACL performance.

Did you guys see the fun. Austin City Limits performance? They discussed (rather in depth) the ideas behind their production. I can respect any band that takes an approach to recording a record the way they did. Even before hearing their own comments on ACL. It's not like you ever heard the band say "Oh man, what were we thinking about that production?"

It's an awesome record. A guilty pleasure, and an album that I scarcely listen to, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed their ACL performance.

I didn't see that, so I'll do that here in the next few days...I've been wondering since that album came out why it sounded so...bombastic?

I feel like there are parts of good songs hiding on that album but they have been mutilated to make radio singles...

I also need (and want) to listen to aim and ignite...I just keep forgetting about it

Nate was super into Kanye before working on Some Nights and managed to land Bhasker who produced a couple Kanye albums (808s and MBDTF) so of course it was going to be bombastic.

The autotuning is weird but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I hope they go a completely different direction with album #3 though instead of more arena-pop.

This is what I hate so much about Some Nights.

Who seriously thought turning an incredible voice into an intolerable voice was a good idea?

I might be wrong and either way people will still dislike it because its not for everyone but I think I read (and also assume) that Nate wanted to use the auto-tune on the album. Especially because he continuously referenced Dark Twisted Fantasy and Kanyes use of auto-tune. 

I might be wrong and either way people will still dislike it because its not for everyone but I think I read (and also assume) that Nate wanted to use the auto-tune on the album. Especially because he continuously referenced Dark Twisted Fantasy and Kanyes use of auto-tune. 

Nate was super into Kanye before working on Some Nights and managed to land Bhasker who produced a couple Kanye albums (808s and MBDTF) so of course it was going to be bombastic.

The autotuning is weird but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I hope they go a completely different direction with album #3 though instead of more arena-pop.

Nailed it. 

I'm probably the only person who thinks It Gets Better is a super fun and great track. As is everything on the album.

"It Gets Better" really threw me at first, but the lyrics and melody are so good that I love it now.

I think the problem is that the entire thing is vocodered... I love the vocoder in the rest of the album but the entire song can get kind of old. Seeing it performed live gave me a new appreciation for it, and now I love it!

Agreed, Out On The Town is so great. Though I think my favorite to come out from them recently is Sight Of The Sun. I thought it was a perfect mesh of A&I and SN. I bet What The Fuck would sound great recorded too but I'm just happy to have a professionally recorded live version on the new EP. 

Agreed, Out On The Town is so great. Though I think my favorite to come out from them recently is Sight Of The Sun. I thought it was a perfect mesh of A&I and SN. I bet What The Fuck would sound great recorded too but I'm just happy to have a professionally recorded live version on the new EP. 

Sight of the Sun?? When did that happen? Is it on the live ep?

Nope... it was on the Girls soundtrack. They wanted it for Some Nights but couldn't get a sample to clear for its chorus so they had to leave it off. They reworked it and was featured in the season finale of season 2

Listening now, thanks for the info! Also, did they ever say or did anyone ever figure out what sample it was that they never cleared? I'd heard something about that and have always been curious band denied them.

Listening now, thanks for the info! Also, did they ever say or did anyone ever figure out what sample it was that they never cleared? I'd heard something about that and have always been curious band denied them.

I wish! They've said they really liked the band, and they're decently well known, but when approached they were douches about it.... they wanted no part of it

I absolutely adored Aim and Ignite. It just fit in so well with what had been done with The Format but ever so slightly different, but still great. Some Nights isn't a bad record, but it is my least favorite and that's why I don't own it on vinyl yet. The songs aren't bad and actually are pretty good for pop, but something about the auto-tune just ruins it for me. It has its place as a musical effect and I'd say it's done well on the title track (although it makes it seem like Nate couldn't hit the high E--I think that's what it is--without it) but other tracks overuse it. I don't dislike it for being popular, but I dislike the fact that it got SO overexposed SO quickly. I enjoy the music, but I still haven't recovered from the We Are Young explosion. I enjoyed it as the lead single, but then it blew up. I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely adored Aim and Ignite. It just fit in so well with what had been done with The Format but ever so slightly different, but still great. Some Nights isn't a bad record, but it is my least favorite and that's why I don't own it on vinyl yet. The songs aren't bad and actually are pretty good for pop, but something about the auto-tune just ruins it for me. It has its place as a musical effect and I'd say it's done well on the title track (although it makes it seem like Nate couldn't hit the high E--I think that's what it is--without it) but other tracks overuse it. I don't dislike it for being popular, but I dislike the fact that it got SO overexposed SO quickly. I enjoy the music, but I still haven't recovered from the We Are Young explosion. I enjoyed it as the lead single, but then it blew up. I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

This!