The shittiest thing I have ever seen a label do.....

they've been selling these for years before the re-press even came about.

not saying it's right but it's readily available now so if some fuck stick can't deal with out having a certain color have at it.

while a very kind gesture this is why people end up in these situations.

people buy an expensive record like this for their "collection" not the intention of listening to it unless that is of course

it is the only available one on vinyl. so it can sit on their shelf until it collects value/dust and they can re-sell it much like a test press. Admit it or not the whole underlying reason for having a massive collection of one album on all it's pressings is at some point to sell it off when they realize the complete pointlessness of it.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/83103-merry-x-mas-who-wants-tdagarim-for-40-bucks-ppd/

they've been selling these for years before the re-press even came about.

not saying it's right but it's readily available now so if some fuck stick can't deal with out having a certain color have at it.

while a very kind gesture this is why people end up in these situations.

people buy an expensive record like this for their "collection" not the intention of listening to it unless that is of course

it is the only available one on vinyl. so it can sit on their shelf until it collects value/dust and they can re-sell it much like a test press. Admit it or not the whole underlying reason for having a massive collection of one album on all it's pressings is at some point to sell it off when they realize the complete pointlessness of it.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/83103-merry-x-mas-who-wants-tdagarim-for-40-bucks-ppd/

I do actually listen to this album. No I haven't listened to every variant, (the ones I am now going to sell) but I do throw it on the old turntable. It isn't fun for me anymore. I didn't start this out to flip or to later on make tons of money from. It used to be realistic to think I could obtain all of the variants for this band. I have different goals than I did back then, and they don't involve spending every extra penny I make buying expensive variants of every record for a band or label. 

The variant debate has always been - and will always be - a heated topic on VC.  There are a few albums and artists that I've gone variant-crazy on, I'll admit it.  But not once have I purchased a colorway with the intent off making bank off of it, somewhere down the road.  It's usually to fuel the collector's itch in me: I'll like a certain colorway a bit more, or I'll like a Euro press with revised album art.  Or I'll want to snag a tour copy at a show, as a memento of sorts.  Have I sold variants for significantly more than I paid for them?  Sure have.  But more often than not, those instances have not been without considerable reluctance.  When my back is against the financial wall, you can bet that I'll part with a second or third copy of a cherished album.  Sure beats breaking apart the rest of the collection.

That being said, I have no problem admitting that collecting variants - especially of the pricey nature - is simply impractical.  And a waste of money, if your collection is based solely on listening.  (Settling for standard, non-limited copies on black wax and modest packaging is probably the way to go, for that route.)  But there will always be a part of the audience that's wowed by limited silkscreen jackets.  By exclusive colored variants.  By test presses.  And by all the oohs, ahs, and brag rights that go with them.  These are the people that have no shame in spending $300 on a certain Brand New variant, despite seeing more common copies of a repress for significantly cheaper.  Some people have to have it all.  And quite frankly, that's their money.  And I won't even pretend like I have the right to judge them for what they do with it.

Brian / sharkticon stands out, in my mind, as a respectable [ex] variant-hoarder.  Anyone who knows Brian knows that he's gun-ho about Mylene Sheath, and many post-rock releases in general.  I'm pretty sure he didn't buy eight copies of Caspian's Tertia to flip for ridiculous coin, down the road.  In fact, I believe he actually parted with many of his variants for some very fair prices -- significantly lower than eBay costs.  He collected because it was a passion and hobby of his, and I'm sure he enjoyed having the envy of fellow Mylene enthusiasts while he did.  Obviously he came to a point in his life where he decided that funds would help him more than eight copies of one record, so he broke the collection up.  No one seemed to have a problem with it... in fact, I think a handful of VC members were grateful for it.  I see nothing wrong with any of that.

Typically, to complete a collection that spans across multiple variants, you're looking at a good chunk of time and money.  Tracking down tour editions.  Scouring eBay for the right auction.  Accumulating represses over the years.  It's a labor of love.  And I can think of no better example than Juan and his Converge collection.  Is there anyone who really thinks he's some asshole who's collected hardcore records for 20+ years, just to make bank off all his duplicates?  I seriously doubt it.  But if he ran into hot water and had to break apart his collection for loads of cash, I don't think he'd deserved to be lynched.

tl; dr: collecting variants doesn't make you an asshole.  And it doesn't make you an idiot.  It's true that your money could be better-spent on expanding your collection of albums, sure.  But just because you feel the desire to own 10+ copies of TDAG, I don't think you should necessarily be burned at the cross.  I'm much more disgusted with flippers who lap up limited releases and abuse fan bases on eBay.

And with all of that said, I still think Iodine and their $500 copies of YFW are laughable.  Especially in trying to print up a silkscreen cover and pass it off as a super limited variant.  They're essentially trying to create a brand new (Brand New) limited edition out of thin air, just for the sake ridiculous profit.  To me, this is far worse than "discovering" a box of rare records and selling them at a bloated price.  I should snag up a few more copies of Daisy, wait for it to get repressed, and then whip up a few custom silkscreen covers for my OG copies.  Scribble some #2/3 bullshit on them with a magic marker, and then ask for $500 a pop on eBay.  Sounds ridiculous, I'm sure, but the only real difference is that Iodine can call themselves a [sketchy] label, whereas I cannot.