Snap, Crackle, Pop! Help me fix my static issue!

I went ahead and got a refurbished 3490, blue jeans stereo audio cable and speaker cables and was still just a tick under my budget of $400. Now I just need to find a couple speaker mount solutions, a cable to connect my laptop and or phone to the receiver and I'm set for a while. Thanks for everyone's help! I'll let you know how everything sounds once it is all hooked up.

• 2 weeks later...

The setup is finally complete - I just need to clean up the cables / storage area a bit but here is the gist of it: 

setup.jpg

The tape player and radio sound great - but I am having problems with the turntable. Compared to my previous turntable, this one is very sensitive to my records and I hear a lot of static in the background. Did I not properly weight the tone arm? I tested the cart alignment and it seems fine, I also tested the anti skate on a blank side of an LP and it barely moves. Maybe I have too little downforce? The tone arm is also very spastic so I think that may be the root of this problem. 

Another problem I am experiencing is hum (which I heard is characteristic of the Carbon). When I use the stock stereo audio cables provided with the Carbon with the ground wire properly grounded I hear some static from the speakers and a light, low frequency hum. When I use the blue jeans stereo audio cables which are supposed to be grounded and supposed to eliminate this hum, the hum gets much louder and is a deep bass-y tone. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is there interference coming from all the wires, is the radio antennae screwing with things or is the platter suspect? I spun a couple 45s last night + 1 LP and they sounded fine with exception to the hum / static / ultra-sensitive tone arm. 

Are you using blue jeans cables or the cable that came with the Carbon? I would have grounded them if they had extra external grounding wire. I think we both have poor tracking. I messed with the thing for a while and thought I had it right, but I guess not. If I remember correctly though I was experiencing some static in the speakers whether the record was playing or not. I will have to verify and mess around with everything again when I get home from work. 

I will check the cartridge when I get home. HK3490 receiver going to Def Tech 350 Studio Bookshelf Speakers via BJC Twelve Banana to Banana cables. Technics RS-TR212 cassette player and Pro-Ject Carbon both with BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables w/ Techflex. The cables I am using are these:

images.jpg

And they do not have a ground wire so I am not sure what to do. 

I hear the hum as well but truthfully, it isn't very bad. Even with the Blue Jeans cables, I'm pretty sure it still needs to be grounded. At least that's what I did.

Everything is more sensitive as well. It seems like this turntable picks up every little imperfection on the record.

Even while grounded there is a bit of the hum.  If you have a dust cover, I recommend completely removing it off your TT when playing a record.  If you don't want to do that, play your records with the lid closed.

I cleaned it with a magic eraser even though it didn't appear to have anything wrong with it. At this point I have wired and rewired everything. Everything is properly grounded now and I have the anti-skate perfect and I am confident the tone arm has enough down force. Anyone have any links to proper cartridge alignment? I touched the wires on it a bit and got really clear sound for a few songs. But it seems like every time I have to touch the tone arm it alters things a bit. The cartridge is really sensitive to everything. I think the problem was as you initially said and they are no properly grounded or the wires are too close/touching and that is causing the static. I believe this because I hear the static every time my hand goes near the cart and also after I touch the wires slightly the static only comes out of the right speaker. I am not comfortable removing this cart as my previous one had the ability to spin off and was easier to maintain after I removed it from the head shell. 

I unplugged and reconnected everything. I switched power strips. Re-calibrated the tone arm five times now with proper force according to the manual as well as proper anti-skate (the arm stays still on the blank side of the record). The tone arm came aligned perfectly and I have verified this with the protractor. I have cleaned the needle twice now with a magic eraser (and did not pull it from side to side). The stylus isn't worn out, because I haven't really played much of anything due to the static. I tried playing with and without the the dust cover. With it closed there is a little bit of an improvement, but not significant. 

Is there a way to verify that the needle isn't properly sitting in the groove? Should I bother removing the stylus and reconnecting the wires since they should already be in fine (none appear to be loose, but I could be wrong)?

I am really at a loss and after spending all this money I just want to listen to my records again. There is definite static build up on the platter as when I remove LPs from it the slipmat comes off with it. I am thinking about picking up a Music Hall acrylic platter or a cork mat to solve this issue (any reason to get both? If not I will just pick up a new platter altogether). I can also hear static as soon as I place an LP on the platter or move my hand near the tone arm / touch it. The ground wires are attached properly to both the turntable and the receiver. I have re seated them multiple times.

My last guess is that it is too dry in my apartment and I need a humidifier. It is winter time and I live on the 3rd floor in a city. I want to talk to someone from Pro-Ject Audio but it refers me to my retail outlet and I'm sure asking Insound for help will be useless. Any further input is greatly appreciated and thanks so much to everyone who has helped thus far.

I have good electric and electronic knowledge and one thing that comes to my mind after reading your posts is that you might have a failing ground in your electric outlet. Get a good power bar/battery backup/voltage regulator to another outlet from another wall and try it again. If you do not have a voltage regulator and your electricity is unstable, it can cause so low noise if you pay very close attention. Some power bars have a ground indicator so check if you have one and if it tells you it's grounded. These are just thoughts I had for your problem but it might be something else...

It wouldn't be the first time I've had an outlet problem. The inside of my apartment is modernized but the building is very old and there is a lot of brick in my particular unit because of the closed off fireplace. That could very well be the cause. I will give it a shot when I get home tonight. I am going to see if I can find a power bar with a ground indicator at work. Thanks for the input!